If MS cancelled all future phone development, what would you do?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
That will not happen for a long time! MS bought Nokia, so if they stop making phones they would go under a big loss because their phone division would be useless!

1 - Microsoft did NOT buy Nokia. They bought a division from Nokia. Very, VERY different.

2 - The phone division they bough loses them money. And with their bet on low end, it will only keep losing them money. OEMs only make profits with flagships (there's a reason why Apple only releases overpriced mid-range phones disguised as high end).

So if Microsoft shuts down Microsoft Mobile, they won't be losing anything apart from a burden. Regardless of killing WP with it or not, shutting down Microsoft Mobile would never be a bad decision for Microsoft (although, yes, shutting down MM would mean basically killing WP even faster).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
First thing I'd do would be to look for survivors. These threads sound like it would be universal Armageddon if MS quit the mobile phone business. Grow up people, it is just a phone. If a Palm Treo from 10 years ago can still make phone calls, send and receive SMS/MMS and access the internet, it ain't curtains yet. Nobody ever promised you a rose garden.

Greg Doull

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Having had an iphone, I would never have another- far far too restrictive. It is your phone, paid for by you, yet you still can't do want you want with it because apple won't let you. That itunes is awkward to use, and expensive. Apple want to charge for everything. Yeah, right. I can put on or remove files, music, pics as I want with drag and drop.
Someone earlier on this thread said Android was unstable. Crap. My Samsung S3 was brilliant in all the 2 years I had it on contract. Still got it, 9 months after contract expired, only now it is rooted, with Omnirom V5 on it. Still stable, working well and with no unwanted apps on it.
Rooting and different rom was a personal choice- the S3 was still a great phone with stock rom. 2 ? years ago, it had features that crapple have only just got on their iphone 6

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm not really sure what I would do if they killed phone support
Trust me... It will not going to happen for a very long time... They invested $8 billion purchasing Nokia mobile business and the Lumia brand. Plus, Windows 10 is going to be much better than 8.1

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I'll play along.

If this scenario occurred at this moment in time and we never get the elusive "flagship", I would finally purchase a 1520 and hope that the phone I receive won't have the "phantom touch" issue. I think that I'd be happy to ride out a 1520 indefinitely. At present with my ATIV S still running WP8 (not even 8.1), it does everything that I need except capture better photos & video - all I want is to get a new Lumia phone with a cutting edge PureView camera.

Worst case scenario, I'd eventually switch to iPhone. No interest in Android.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm kind of curious. For all the pissing and moaning about MS I do (of which I do a lot haha), Windows is still hands down my preferred OS. I'm not really sure what I would do if they killed phone support, since I find iOS so restrictive and Android's UI so incredibly unfriendly.

What would you folks do? Also feel free to delete this post if someone's already made a thread asking this :)

BlackBerry Passport!

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Having had an iphone, I would never have another- far far too restrictive. It is your phone, paid for by you, yet you still can't do want you want with it because apple won't let you. That itunes is awkward to use, and expensive. Apple want to charge for everything. Yeah, right. I can put on or remove files, music, pics as I want with drag and drop.
Someone earlier on this thread said Android was unstable. Crap. My Samsung S3 was brilliant in all the 2 years I had it on contract. Still got it, 9 months after contract expired, only now it is rooted, with Omnirom V5 on it. Still stable, working well and with no unwanted apps on it.
Rooting and different rom was a personal choice- the S3 was still a great phone with stock rom. 2 ? years ago, it had features that crapple have only just got on their iphone 6

At least iTunes is not complete junk. Bought into that Pi Day Xbox Music sale :(
1 - Rented music (Music pass) is 192Kb/s WMA
2 - Purchased music is only 320Kb/s MP3
3 - The app is terrible, worst music solution I have ever used on my PC.
4 - No way to download playlists

iTunes
1 - High quality AAC and lossless formats
2 - Actually has a desktop program that works half decent
3 - Can download playlists

Windows Media Player 5 (2004) works better!!

Now I know why people did not buy into Zune .. I loved my Zune 120/HD, but I never bought into their subscription model. Now that I am in it, without a decent desktop player, I can see why they flopped... I wish they would just update and rebrand the Zune Player ...

Done with Xbox altogether. I hope W10 is better, because for every Microsoft solution there seems to be an equal/better alternative :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss