The Real Reason Windows Phone Has Struggled - Motley Fool

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I know that. What I mean is, Microsoft forges this relationship with a company, but doesn't bother to ask that they also make their app available on their phones?

It doesn't really work that way. Just because a company makes an app for one platform, doesn't mean that Microsoft can convince them to build another app. Starbucks obviously believes (and rightly so) that they'll get a better ROI from early adopters who spend $200 on a band as opposed to people who buy low end phones.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
People won't buy what they can't see. If they don't know it exists, how can they even think there are associated apps? Walk into a Best Buy and count how many WPs are on display.
It's the same with the carrier stores. And better yet, walk in the carrier stores and tell one of the reps you are interested in WP. Count how many seconds it takes for the rep to tell you you don't want WP and you want something else. It will not take that long.......

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I was actually in my best buy the other day and they finally have a display up. Not a large one but it does the job. They had the 830 and the 635 out and it was farely lit up. Better than nothing at least.

People won't buy what they can't see. If they don't know it exists, how can they even think there are associated apps? Walk into a Best Buy and count how many WPs are on display. A prepaid 521 from T-Mobile hanging on the peg hooks, that's how many. Look just about anywhere and see the signs for their app (Home Depot, Dunkin Donuts, you name it) and all you see is iTunes or Play Store. Put yourselves in John Q. Public's shoes and tell me you'd buy a WP. Tell me you'd even know it exists.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I was actually in my best buy the other day and they finally have a display up. Not a large one but it does the job. They had the 830 and the 635 out and it was farely lit up. Better than nothing at least.

Yep, I saw this last month as well. 3 phones at the end of an aisle. First time that Best Buy has had a WP display (AT&T phones only, but still). It is still tiny compared to the sea of Androids and the prominent iPhone placements, but it's better than nothing.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
What they should do is exactly what Samsung is. They should partner with bestbuy and have a section dedicated to windows. Have their surface line, windows phones, and even the band I hear is going to best buy all on display and advertised really well. They should even add the blu devices Microsoft stores sell. Microsoft stores are hard to come by and I'm sure folk that know nothing about windows phone have never even heard of blu's devices. I feel best buy would sell them like hotcakes at their price points.

Yep, I saw this last month as well. 3 phones at the end of an aisle. First time that Best Buy has had a WP display (AT&T phones only, but still). It is still tiny compared to the sea of Androids and the prominent iPhone placements, but it's better than nothing.

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Yes we have an big situation in the case of app quality & what with even the apps made by Microsoft themselves are better on the other platforms than WP.
The only remedy for this, that I see, is to start at home & make it mandatory for all MS employees right from the top executives to use only WP & other MS products atleast during office hours.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
The article is wrong. The smartphone market is transversal, a big part of the smartphone users couldn't care less about apps. The problems of Windows Phone are way bigger than the app gap.

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
The article is wrong. The smartphone market is transversal, a big part of the smartphone users couldn't care less about apps. The problems of Windows Phone are way bigger than the app gap.

How so ??
Pretty much everyone I've shown my phone to has been impressed & the only 2 negatives I keep hearing are -
1) Sad state of apps
2) OS limitations

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
How so ??
Pretty much everyone I've shown my phone to has been impressed & the only 2 negatives I keep hearing are -
1) Sad state of apps
2) OS limitations

You and your friends aren't the world. Some people only basic features of the phone and apps, but they still don't want a Windows Phone.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Remember when Microsoft brass announced with sighs of relief that they were at "criticle mass" of the app gap and all was good?

Honestly agree with them. Now it is obvious we are at the bottom of the "update gap" as opposed to "app gap".

By the way- while it is true apps are updated and have more features on iOS and Android, I swear the Android versions do not get the criticisms they deserve for how often they lag and freeze. If Android users are honest, they need to restart a ton of their apps more often than is mentioned, but it is such an accepted way of life it is done with barely a thought.

iOS? No doubt- their strict requirements mean most of those apps run great, and it is a premium consumer pool they have, so updates come often from developers to kepp Apple users coming back and due to the competition for those dollars.

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
What they should do is exactly what Samsung is. They should partner with bestbuy and have a section dedicated to windows. Have their surface line, windows phones, and even the band I hear is going to best buy all on display and advertised really well. They should even add the blu devices Microsoft stores sell. Microsoft stores are hard to come by and I'm sure folk that know nothing about windows phone have never even heard of blu's devices. I feel best buy would sell them like hotcakes at their price points.

Microsoft kind of already does that. Certain Best Buys' have a "Windows Store" that is supposed to showcase the entire range of Windows products. Not all of them do though. My Best Buy has a Windows Store but it only shows off Windows all-in-ones, desktops and some tablets.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I hear what your saying but I mean they should have it show off everything. From the surface line, to their phones and even the band when it's in stock at best buy locations.

Microsoft kind of already does that. Certain Best Buys' have a "Windows Store" that is supposed to showcase the entire range of Windows products. Not all of them do though. My Best Buy has a Windows Store but it only shows off Windows all-in-ones, desktops and some tablets.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I haven't seen one yet. That's something that needs to be expanded.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Phone Guy 4567

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
To me the reason that MS has failed with Windows Phone is simple they were very late to the party, and iOS and Android were already established as the market leaders. It would be crazy for the average consumer to pick Windows Phone over the dominant platforms, it would be like choosing Beta over VHS even though VHS had the majority of the market.

At this point I think MS has just about given up on Windows Phone, with universal apps and Windows 10 for Mobile being their last attempt to get marketshare.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
By the way- while it is true apps are updated and have more features on iOS and Android, I swear the Android versions do not get the criticisms they deserve for how often they lag and freeze. If Android users are honest, they need to restart a ton of their apps more often than is mentioned, but it is such an accepted way of life it is done with barely a thought.
It is pointless to judge users on other platform. M$ and fans need to earn them instead of judging them.

Back to the time when korea cars were considered as junks, were they win the market share by judging customers buying cars from other brands?

I don't know how MS can make up the app gap(I don't think univeral app will work thought), but those niche apps in different countries are the keys to attract normal user to "try" this platform. Remember when we say the word "try" it still cost money from their wallet, so the attracting force must be strong enough - from both hardware and software aspect. MS really need to change their strategy to a wat faster pace if they really want to gain some market share.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
One of the biggest barriers besides lost mindshare & phones not being available to buy & displayed horribly if at all in stores is the lack of native Google apps. IMO a lot of consumers would at least try & stick with WP if it had native Google apps, Google knows this & that's why they don't make any apps for WP.