Could Apple and Google be in trouble if they don't innovate anymore?

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
With all the negative topics, I thought i'd share my feelings on the state of the matter.

Every year I worry that this unified vision of MS being curtailed by something truly innovative and ground breaking by other companies.

With each year, nothing. Nothing they have done has made me want to switch to using a separate tablet in addition to a laptop. No amount of apps or quality of hardware, thinness of device, or features have swayed me the least.

In a perfect world, shortly after 10 is released and devs are banging out universal app after app, we have a Surface Pro 4 with amazing specs and ecosystem across all devices. Devices that are less costly than others out there with feature parity are available everywhere from different manufacturers.... Is there anything they can do to combat this besides an increase in performance every year, a thinner form factor, or merely regurgitating last years model, only thinner and bigger?

I really don't see any use for these ecosystems unless all those using it are only needing something for checking Facebook and playing a couple games. Once the utility of having a MS system comes in play and people realize the benefits, if it were me on the outside looking in, i'd be looking to get off that ship asap. They have pretty much peaked in mobile. Every day I use my phone less and less when I can use my Surface Pro 3's bigger screen most of the day leaving my phone as an afterthought accessory, as messages get dismissed on my Band and soon to be SP3 and other devices. There really isn't a need for the best of best specs. Don't get me wrong. I still want a fantastic camera and fast processor. There just isn't anything of value in Chrome OS if it merged and even if IOS and OSX did somehow, they're still a long ways off from anything close to a Surface Pro. As Surface became a billion dollar a year business, I don't see it going anywhere else but up. If W10 on Surface goes up, WP will be right there with it.

If these 2 other players don't do something, they may have no where else to go but down. I wouldn't be surprised to see share and stocks plummet soon the way things are happening.

That's the way I see it. YMMV.:winktongue:

Last edited:

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't see either having an issue any time soon. Google has gotten into so many different product markets that they're good to go for the long term. Apple on the other hand, there strong point is there ecosystem, marketing and corporate support. So even though they have failed to do much in the innovation field, they too have nothing to worry about at least for the next 10 years. Microsoft would probably never beat out Apple or Google in the mobile market --- but the good thing is, that they really don't need to. If they can ever get 15-20%, I'd say they succeeded.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I think MS can beat Apple but Android is different story.

Windows in PC and Android in smartphone are in different league

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Of course they're going to be well off for a while. There are people that will blindly not buy anything else no matter the cost or uselessness. But as I browse around, I see less and less people buying ipads and more people excited for Surface and other 2 in 1's. As mobile carriers ween people off contracts and people discover an iproduct or galactic fallacy isn't only $199, it's actually $600 they'll learn real quick and think twice about that early upgrade. HTC barely made a dent and regurgitated that terrible bezel. Now that the A team reached two size markets, what's next? From a convenience and cost standpoint, what are those two going to do that is so detrimental to everyday computing and daily tasks that will make me continue to support it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo