Compressed Version Of Windows 10 Upgrade?

web1b

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
There are many Windows 8.1 tablets and laptops that use compressed operating systems and have 16 and 32GB storage. I found the steps to install the Windows 10 Technical Preview on my HP Stream and it works, but it takes up a lot of the limited disk space. It was OK for playing around with it for a little while to see how Windows 10 works, but there is not much space left over since it isn't compressed like the factory image of Windows 8.1 was.
When the final version comes out, is there going to be a way for end users to upgrade 8.1 to Windows 10 using a similar compressed format as Windows 8.1 was loaded at the factory so the Windows 10 upgrade doesn't use up of most of the available storage on these devices?

MoshMast

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't think they've mentioned anything about this yet, but considering they have made plenty of mention of tablets I don't doubt that there will be SOME equivalent.

Did you have to do any trickery to get it installed on your Stream? I tried to load it onto my Toshiba Encore 2 a few weeks ago and got an error saying it can't install since it is a compressed operating system.

web1b

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
To install Windows 10 on a system that gives that error, you have to download the ISO file and either burn a DVD or extract the files from the iso and make a bootable FAT32 USB stick.

forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-technical-preview/336262-can-windows-10-preview-installed-hp-stream-laptop.html#post2998357

It worked for me, but the installation uses up most of the drive storage.

web1b

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
To install Windows 10 on a system that gives that error, you have to download the full ISO file and either burn a DVD or extract the files from the iso and make a bootable FAT32 USB stick.

It worked for me, but the installation uses up most of the drive storage.

ahumeniy

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Compressed OS is technically called "Wimboot". You can turn your existing installation into a Wimboot and thus free disk space.

ahumeniy

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm still researching into this but the procedure would be as following:

*Install Windows 10
*Install drivers, updates and desired software to preload
*Boot with a WinRE drive
*Use DISM to create a WIM image of your system
*Repartition the device with System reserver, UEFI, System and recovery partition
*Store the created WIM image in the recovery partition
*setup the system as WIMBoot

Basically, that's what the manufacturer did to install Windows in your device

WhiteNiteLite

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm still researching into this but the procedure would be as following:

*Install Windows 10
*Install drivers, updates and desired software to preload
*Boot with a WinRE drive
*Use DISM to create a WIM image of your system
*Repartition the device with System reserver, UEFI, System and recovery partition
*Store the created WIM image in the recovery partition
*setup the system as WIMBoot

Basically, that's what the manufacturer did to install Windows in your device

It looks like this is going to get a lot easier soon:
Windows 10 System Compression ? Gain More Disk Space Back | Next of Windows

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am using Windows 8.1 licence version I want to update with windows 10 please tell me how can I do ?

If you have to be walked through it, you shouldn't install the 10 Technical Preview as it is not a finished product and things can go wrong. Stick with 8.1 for now, unless you're feeling dangerous and have the ability to get your computer back on its feet if something goes wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss