Another release, another bad experience on tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It is becoming more and more apparent that MS intened win 10 to work more like win 7 on tablets than Win 8. What is this nonsense? Win 10 is releasing in a few months and they seem very stuck on Taskbar in tablet mode and nuking win 8 swipes, no full smart screen as an option etc.

Why? Why throw away the good parts of Win 8?

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how anyone can defend having an OS act like Win 7 on a tablet. I used Win 7 on a tablet and it sucked and that's why Win 7 tablets barely sold anything.

Last edited:

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
you know that its preview software, that the tablet mode was added just the release before 10041 and that the OS is not finished yet?

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Why get off the fast ring just so I can be stuck with crappy desktop features longer? If anything I want to get on the daily release ring so Tablet fixes can get to me quicker.

Win 10 launches in July and their has been every indication from the devs and Joe B that this is the intended way Win 10 will work on tablets.

Mandatory taskbar even in tablet mode, charm bars gone, no swipe ahead to scroll through apps, no Metro IE, no full screen Start like Win 8 etc.

What makes Win 10 bad on Tablets is not anything glitchy or bugs it is the actual intended design of Win 10 on tablets that is a huge step back from Win 8.

The Win 8 GUI got out of the way on tablets and that is the way it should be, Win 10 on tablets shoves gui elements in your face you don;t need whihc takes up screen space and swipes are not nearly as natural as Win 8

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Win 10 launches in July

Where have you seen evidence of this? They said that Windows 10 will by ready by Summer, which runs until September 21, which is a little over 6 months away. There is still plenty of time to add more tablet features.
and their has been every indication from the devs and Joe B that this is the intended way Win 10 will work on tablets.

Such as? I haven't seen anything about the way Windows 10 will work on tablets other than "there will be more features added in the coming months".

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
My hope is that they do add back in the old windows 8 stuff and give you the option to run it - I just rolled my desktop back to windows 8.1 because I lost the start screen in this new build - this is not just for tablets by the way - the new full-screen start menu just looks awful on a WHQD display.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Here is Joe Belifore stating the taskbar is intended in tablet mode,

Guys Win 10 is launching in a few months, we have a pretty clear direction for what they intend Win 10 to be for tablets and that is pretty much going to act like Win 7 on a tablet which was a horrible experience and a huge downgrade from Win 8 on tablets. Now is not the time to be lax and think they are going to fix everything. If we wait for release it will be to late for major changes.

Full start screen is gone, Charms are gone, Taskbar is mandatory, alot of swipe commands are missing. This is not getting fixed in a few short months and appears to be how MS intends it to work.

joebelfiore ‏@joebelfiore

@benstoic yep, we intend taskbar to be present in tablet mode. Thats quick access to start menu (4 pcs w no HW button), + Cortana, taskview

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
There's always Win8. I've pretty much abandoned the idea of Win10 and am likely to skip it and wait for Win11. I suspect many will do the same.

Win10 is really just to provide Win7 users with a basic desktop upgrade path. We will have to wait for an upgrade path for Win8. There are now effectively two skus, one for desktop and one for touch.

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
There's always Win8. I've pretty much abandoned the idea of Win10 and am likely to skip it and wait for Win11. I suspect many will do the same.

Win10 is really just to provide Win7 users with a basic desktop upgrade path. We will have to wait for an upgrade path for Win8. There are now effectively two skus, one for desktop and one for touch.
Seriously? You've already decided that W10 is a bust based on a technical preview with release still 3-6 months away?
Instant gratification society at its finest.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
And that's so disappointing Andy.

Earlier builds still gave me the option of keeping the old Windows 8 startscreen experience, and gave me the desktop with apps in windows.

Not sure why they felt it necessary to remove this option.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Yea I suspect Win 8 will be the Win XP for tablets. Bummer cause I like Cortana, Xbox Game Streaming and Spartan looks like a good browser.

I just want the Win 10 GUI/touch navigation to work like Win 8 does now on my tablet with all the new features and performance tweaks of Win 10. They have ruined the GUI and touch navigation for Tablets.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Seriously? You've already decided that W10 is a bust based on a technical preview with release still 3-6 months away?

For tablets Yes it is a bust and not because of bugs of the TP but because MS reps have stated this is the INTENDED way Win 10 is supposed to work on Tablets.

It is a HUGE downgrade in GUI and Touch Navigation for Tablets. This is not getting fixed by release since somehow this is how MS wants Win 10 to work. What you are seeing is what you are getting in RTM with a few tweaks.

It is literally a few months from RTM they are not going to re introduce all the missing Win 8.1 features for tablets in that short time.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

What on earth has 'instant gratification' got to do with it? All I'm saying is that I am not going to swap out an OS that works well with both touch and desktop modes for one that is clearly not designed to fulfill that same role. I'm saying I'm prepared to WAIT for Win11. That is completely the opposite. I suppose you could call me out for wanting delayed gratification, but instant? You mad bro?

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site

But it seems to me if you look at the 'history' of the preview, with each build they remove more and more of the way windows 8 / 8.1 worked - this suggests that windows 10 is going to look more like windows 7 did and remove all the stuff that made it tablet friendly

I won't even run 10 on my desktop if they have removed the start screen, unless there are major improvements to the start menu in it's current form. To me, its not a good experience on my Catleap WHQD display over what windows 8 / 8.1 gave me

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yep

Their is nothing about what the Devs have already said or the progression of Win 10 TP releases that suggest the Win 8.1 experience is coming back. In fact every release pushes us further back from the Win 8.1 tablet experience.

MS have completely lost their minds

Here is MS's own concept video for future Tech, notice the Tablet UI's barely have any GUI at all and the GUI get's out of the way allowing more screen real estate to content consumption? How the heck are we going to get tablets like this when they are shoving Taskbar's and desktop GUI elements in our face in Tablet mode?

https://youtu.be/w-tFdreZB94?t=45s

If you had told me Win 10's tablet Gui was made after Win 7 and Win 8 was the new Tablet GUI I would believe you. Win 10 is a leap back to Win 7 like tablet experiences.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
The "it's a preview" argument really does not apply here anymore. With the release being 3-4 months away there is no room or time to change things around as drastically as would be required to re-instate the StartScreen and proper Touch Interface.

MSFT have caved in to the very loud and train wreck trolls who basically refuse to adopt and learn new things and instead want to remain with XP. Same thing happened with Xbox where some very innovative and forward thinking ideas were quashed before they even had a chance (and later turned out to possibly being some key/killer innovation and features).

I really hope I will be proven wrong, but I an afraid and pretty sure I will not be. There is so much that's wrong with tablet mode at the core that it will be next to impossible to fix in time for release.

theolympusguy

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Every one complains about it and its not even done. I hope they fix or change a lot of tablet features but I appreciate being able to be part of that build process. I will keep my complaints for the final version.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm all for moving forward with design and user interaction and I'll reserves my opinion on W10 until it's released. BUT so far the feeling I'm getting from users of W8.1, MS & the preview builds is that a lot of the cool stuff, the stuff I felt made me more productive, from 8.1 is going away. If it does then I'll be a bit annoyed. I was already bemused by people saying W8.1 was a failure, but whatever, don't use it. Now though those sentiments seem to be screwing up my experience too. I had a good thing but because people hate change I'm losing it.

I find Windows 8.1 works really well across both tablet AND desktop, I'm always marveling at the way I can easily do things like sharing between apps & to my Xbox, searching apps, files & the web, transitioning between desktop & tablet with my SP3. I even like using the Modern apps in a desktop sense because of the adjustable snapping and the sharing between apps. I feel more productive.

Anyway, like I said, I'll wait a few builds and see how things progress before I install on my Surface and then hold back my final opinion until it's complete and I've had some time to get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos