Where is the next build?

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Yup. I understand that point.

I have no definitive explanations, but I'd note the following:

A) I don't know what the actual intent is behind the fast and slow rings for the W10M TP, but at least based on the descriptions, I'd say we're dealing with a misnomer. If the description is accurate, what we're really dealing with is "normal release cadence" (for which MS has never stated how often to expect releases) and the "delayed release cadence", which is the exact same thing just time shifted by one or two weeks. My point is that for W10M the terms "fast" and "slow" may just be raising false expectations.

B) Nobody really knows when W10M is intended to be released. W10 is expected sometime in summer, but W10M has been rumored for anywhere between then and November. Maybe we've still got more time?

C) With our reaction to the limited W10M rollout, we've somewhat screwed ourselves. We've forced MS to get a repartitioning solution up and running before releasing the next TP. That's a big issue that involves a lot of testing that can easily require more than six weeks. I think we somewhat threw a wrench in the TP gears there. I suspect the pace will pick up afterwards, but I doubt W10M TP's will ever release as frequently as for W10... if for no other reason than the WP team being much smaller.

A) going off the description of the rings it said expect faster updates with generally more issues and the slow ring description basically said slower more stable updates. Which is why I expected faster updates going off the descriptions

B) Last I read they said summer for the phones http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micr...-for-Phones-Launches-This-Summer-476072.shtml no set date but the summer time frame

C) I'm fine with delays I kno things happen but at least keep us updated maybe a in app notification or something about the status of the next update. Were basically sitting around waiting. They did say the goal was to have the updates come at least once a month ideally. Where's the improved stability version of the update that's out now for the slow ring users at least?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
A) going off the description of the rings it said expect faster updates with generally more issues and the slow ring description basically said slower more stable updates. Which is why I expected faster updates going off the descriptions

?

My expectation is that in the coming update the slow ring will be "activated" and will have the updates which did not cause issues and updates with issues which where fixed.
And the slow ring is not activated yet because there are "no issue free" updates yet.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

That's the description for W10 TP. I think it's safe to assume that doesn't apply to W10M in the same way, or at the very least, not yet.

B) Last I read they said summer for the phones http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micr...-for-Phones-Launches-This-Summer-476072.shtml no set date but the summer time frame

TBH, if we don't have a quote DIRECTLY from MS, anything such sites publish is meaningless. In this particular case the blog post is confusing statements that were made for W10 and W10M. The entire article is one big jumbled mess. When WCentral reported on this they said only that MS MAY be able to deliver W10M earlier, alongside W10.

C) I'm fine with delays I know things happen but at least keep us updated maybe a in app notification or something about the status of the next update. Were basically sitting around waiting. They did say the goal was to have the updates come at least once a month ideally. Where's the improved stability version of the update that's out now for the slow ring users at least?

I don't think we can even speak of delays. There is no official timeframe or promised release date for anything related to W10M. Without that there is also no delay. I completely agree that more information would be very welcome however.

edshred

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what it actually consists of, but my 630 (running W10 Tech Preview) has been trying to install an update for around the last 24 hours. Unfortunately, it won't complete (error 80188301) so I have no idea what's in the damn thing :) Suspect it's nothing big because I'm not reading any other Tech Preview users talking about it.

I'm keen to have the next tech Preview build and even more so to get it on one of my 920s, but I too cannot see the point in shouting at Microsoft.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Very entertaining thread. If I was MS I'd just say eff you guys. When the final build is done everybody gets it. It seems no good deed goes unpunished.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually, MS never promised anything to begin with. Pie ty's notion that W10M TP updates were promised every 4 weeks is straight out of fantasy land.

MS mentioned how often they'd LIKE/HOPE to release the W10 TP, which was around four weeks, but not even that was a promise, nor is that the same as W10M.

It's no wonder that MS doesn't provide us with more information, considering so many take every little thing they say and interpret it as a promise that is set in stone.
Anyway, even if MS had promised specific release dates, we should all know by now that software and "promised" release dates don't belong in the same sentence.

I'm sure some of us have seen those people who believe rumors are real and set-in-stone.

anon(5725119)

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Gabe Aul tweeted to someone last week that they don't generally release things on Mondays and Fridays, so if it's coming this week, I guess it'll most likely be tomorrow.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Ok..so..the thing where they said that they hope for monthly releases - does that apply only to Windows 10 Desktop?
Or does it apply to both, since I've seen them saying it's almost the same OS / it shares a lot of code, so the work on both is done simultaneously.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok..so..the thing where they said that they hope for monthly releases - does that apply only to Windows 10 Desktop?
Or does it apply to both, since I've seen them saying it's almost the same OS / it shares a lot of code, so the work on both is done simultaneously.
These are two separate OSes that share many common components. The statement mentioning TP updates every four weeks was specifically for W10. The idea that both OSes are so similar that they would automatically adhere to the same release schedule is definitely incorrect. The partitioning issue MS mentioned last week, which MS is working on for W10M, is just one of many examples where the two OSes differ. No such thing is required for W10.

Last edited:

iChampion

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Not until 6-8 months after its released for Android and iPhone.
Oh wait a minute they already did release all the apps for them!

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
You can keep your power users doing two things. Release new flagship phones or release new software. MS is doing nothing lately and I understand if somebody has enough of waiting. The TP is not something they are doing for us, but something they have to do to keep us AND to improve their system. Don't mess up things!

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Look folks, I understand how some people can be frustrated with all this waiting. Many like what they see in Windows 10 Mobile.... Windows 10 for Phones..... Windows Phone 10..... Windows whatever the hell we're calling it this week.

I too have been looking forward to testing it out on my 930, 925 & 625.... Or at least one of them.

I was bummed about it not getting to any of my phones but I understood and felt I could wait.

Before I go to sleep and when I wake up for work I check my Windows Central App on my phone to see anything about it being finally released.

Suddenly I see 20+ news postings in the Live Tile..... Something big must have happened while I was asleep, so I check it all out.

Sale on some cases for phones I don't have.

XBox game sales.

New XBox games available.

Review of XBox Games.

Reviews on some laptop or tablet.

Rumours about some low end no-name mobile phone for some third world country that I'll never see.

News about some Mobile Carrier not in my country doing something I don't care about.

Ninja Monkey Cats riding Unicorns farting rainbows on a cloud of pixi dust while holding up a flag during a Microsoft Pride Parade that I can buy and slap on a laptop I don't have.

Seriously, could we get an update to include a filter system in that app?

I paid real money for that app back when it was Windows Phone Central and now it's almost everything else but Windows Phones.

....... Anyways, the point of that tangent is that I too am looking forward to seeing the next update and it actually coming to a phone I own so I can test it out and give feedback to MS and support to other users. I am actually semi excited to try it out, so when I see a pile of notifications in the Windows Central app and they turn out to be mostly useless junk mail reports (no offense), it irks me a little.

Now in saying all of that, I also understand that my excitement and interest in W10M/P does not dictate the turn around and stability of MS's work.

I have been a Beta Tester for many different video games over the years and I have been inside the internet communities of many other popular games in development (at the time) to know full well how many react to waiting.

Any of you been around during Half-Life 2's development? That was a long and drawn out nightmare.... One which helped make Valve learn a tough lesson about giving the community deadlines to expect, as well as giving out too much information.

There are a lot of people who will b*tch and moan to no end when it comes to waiting for something they really want.... And those same people are the same ones who will b*tch and moan 5x more when what they want is released too soon and is buggy as all hell because it was rushed.

Regarding these people, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

They are a minority, but beyond that, when it comes to early access, alpha / beta testing with the community, despite all of the disclaimers and things you make people accept before they can be a part of that work, there will still be many who accept and join in who completely have no idea what they are joining and what their role "IS."

You are joining up to test, study and provide as much feedback as possible regarding performance, ease of use, bugs / glitches and anything else you think will help improve the final product.

You are not meant to simply sign up so you can play a video game or play around in the latest program or app for the sheer sake of showing off to your friends that you have something they don't.

With all that in mind, I will continue to wait for W10M/P and keep looking forward to it coming to my phone(s).

Alpha/Beta Testing is not an exact science you can fit on a calendar and expect to meet target deadlines.... Which is why MS has yet to promise anything.

They will inform us of their intentions, plans and expectations, but all of that can change at any moment.

If people can not accept or handle this, then they should not be a part of the Technical Preview or Insider Program and should walk away & wait for final release.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
If you think it's a joke then do not join. If you already joined and you know it's a joke what does that tell about you?.?
5 weeks and no new build.no new phones supported! Do you think this is the way of getting useful feedback?? This is how a beta testing should go?? The insider idea is good, the process as it is now it is a joke. If you do not understand what I am sayin' then don't speak

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
5 weeks and no new build.no new phones supported! Do you think this is the way of getting useful feedback?? This is how a beta testing should go?? The insider idea is good, the process as it is now it is a joke. If you do not understand what I am sayin' then don't speak

1. Under no way is this a beta test. It is an alpha at best.

2. You think this is how its going to be, just on these phones and voila! it works everywhere for the public release?

They've said they're goal is ROUGHLY MONTHLY releases.
ALSO, Mr. Aul stated that development starts on a small subset of devices so as to reduce instability caused by different hardware so 10 can be properly stabilized. THEN it can go to more hardware.
It's a normal part of the SW development process, at least at MS.
Would you prefer they keep a lid on things until its at beta or RTM like it has before?

lowercontrol

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I would also like to be thrown in the patiently waiting bucket. However, that fuse is getting shorter and shorter each day.

My biggest concern is that I would like to help shape the future of Windows 10 during these critical initial stages. I have great feedback to offer but clearly that is not possible due to the fact that my current phone (HTC One) has no builds available.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos