My L520 was stolen here's a few thoughts.

vezycash

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
My windows phone has been stolen again! First time, it was my 925. Now, it's my 520.

The first time, the thief was an ***** - he didn't pull out the sim card. As a result, I was able to use the 520 to log on the app store to remotely lock the phone. The thief brought it back for a finder's fee.

This time around, my apartment was burglarized while I was away. The 520 was among the stolen items. I've tried the number it says switched off. I've also tried to remote lock it but it wouldn't work.

As you've noticed, WP 8.1's FIND MY PHONE only works when the thief is an *****. I did a lot of soul searching online and I've found a few ways to make things much harder for windows phone thief.

Here are existing, practical ideas. Lemme know what you think.

Idea's from Mccafee Android app
  • CaptureCam ? Silently takes a snapshot of the person holding your lost device and emails the photo to you along with the device location. Can be triggered from the Security Web Portal
  • S.O.S ? Automatically saves your last device location before it runs out of battery

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wsandroid.suite
  • Automatically lock your phone once a SIM change is detected to prevent unauthorized use and to make the phone worthless to the thief. You can also sound an alarm remotely to warn him.
  • When a new SIM card is inserted, your buddy will get a SMS alert so you can contact the person who has found or stolen your device. You can also track the location of your phone and even plot them out on a map.

discussions.nokia.com/t5/Symbian-Devices/Remote-phone-locking-Lock-your-phone-via-text-if-you-lose-it/td-p/521260
telkomsel.wavesecure.com/wavesecure/

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I thought find my phone already saved the location before battery runs out? I have that option.

Last edited:

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I thought find my phone already and the location before battery runs out? I have that option.

Thief probably turned off the phone. Can't wait for MS to implement the activation lock features in W10 which will make stealing phones worthless.

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I have also thought about this. I would enjoy MS doing a "find my phone" like apple. Where your phone is "locked" to your email. And even a factory restore can't help. This is ONE feature I'd take from apple any day. Absolutely brilliant. I feel all phones should have this.

WPmaniac4 25

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I have also thought about this. I would enjoy MS doing a "find my phone" like apple. Where your phone is "locked" to your email. And even a factory restore can't help. This is ONE feature I'd take from apple any day. Absolutely brilliant. I feel all phones should have this.
Microsoft already has find my phone

anon(7917514)

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

This would require Microsoft to use the UDID of the phones and not the phone number.
I also like the iPhones ability to be remote bricked if stolen and requiring a pin to factory reset the phone.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

I read somewhere about it being made mandatory for ALL phone manufacturers/companies to have a similar system in place like Activation Lock, with MS stating that it would be coming to "all current Windows Phone devices" later on this year, presumably with Windows 10

Edit: here's the article from The Verge - http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/19/5824246/windows-phone-activation-lock-features

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

vezycash

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Two phones lost and...

Hurray my L520's been found!!!
The thief is someone I know. He was trying to sell the phone this morning and was caught by a friend of mine. I now have my 520 back.

Unfortunately, the thief ran away as soon as he got the chance. Also, my SIM card's and phone cover are missing.

Guess I'm a lucky guy.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Two phones lost and...

The thief is someone I know. He was trying to sell the phone this morning and was caught by a friend of mine. I now have my 520 back.

Unfortunately, the thief ran away as soon as he got the chance. Also, my SIM card's and phone cover are missing.

Guess I'm a lucky guy.

Sheesh the nerve of some people, going through all the trouble and risk of theft and only taking the cheap stuff!

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Two phones lost and...

Guess I'm a lucky guy.

Geez time to find some new acquaintances.

So what if he ran away. You know who he is, you got a friend who can back you up.... Get the police on their butts.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Two phones lost and...

Guess I'm a lucky guy.

Yea, secure your stuff better (keep your phone with you), and for sure get new friends.

Life is too short for BS like that, I had, what I thought, was a good friend about 10 years ago, he stole something off me, it was worth $200 or so and I found out. I told him to return it (he did) and I banished him. Told him to F off and never call or talk to me again. This was about 10 years ago, 6 months ago I got a email asking for forgiveness from him, I wont even reply to it.

I could never trust this person again, so I would rather not have him in my life, plain and simple.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Man! you can hold a grudge!!! But I get it :)

Life is too short to have to deal with that worry and possible stress. I'm a good person, very trusting and been told a great person to hang out and have a beer with. I have always been strait to the point but, burn me once and it's all over.

Mistakes are one thing but stealing off me ? I could never trust him and for that, he deserves to be banished and completely out of my life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)