W10 Build 10041 slowly stopping working

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Coming from a fresh W8 build last week I got up to speed on Build 10041.
All was running fine (in fact pretty well), until yesterday.
Randomly and after changing nothing, the search/Cortana stopped working.
the event viewer told me it was the "searchUI" had caused the fault. So I ran that directly and it said I was missing a dll... which I checked, and I wasn't.
I ran the re-registration of apps through the powershell, and then every single other metro app stopped working.
it would flash up and disappear.

So I did a system restore to the previous saved point (Saturday)... it said the restore was successful but the behaviour was exactly the same.

So I've just done a full refresh and now I don't have cortana at all.. and ie has 'stopped working' twice whilst typing this post. :(

I was (until about 3 minutes ago) downloading a recovery image to push back to W8.1 and I'll start again, but the last internet explorer has stopped working has cancelled the 6GB download :crying:

I recognise the 'development' status of the preview builds, but I don't understand how a system can start getting worse when nothing changes!!
I'll sit back on W8 for maybe another month and watch the technical releases to see what gets fixed before I embark again! (bit disappointed tbh!).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb