How is Windows 10 for Phones working day-to-day?

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
For those of you who are using it, how is it for everyday use? Usable, annoying, difficult? I'd just like to know after people have been using it for awhile and because I may be able to have it on my phone in the next week or so. Thanks!

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
For me, this is how it went:
Day 1: Complete hell. It took forever for my SD card to be recognized and I thought I had lost all of my data. I randomly looked at my phone to see what the time was and I suddenly realized that all of my apps came back.
Week 1: So far so good. The phone is kinda micro-jittery, but between the much improved Xbox Music, the actionable notifications, and the much improved settings menu, I actually liked it more than WP8.1.
Week 2: Things have slowed down a lot and the phone began crashing on me a few times per day. Nothing too bad, as I am an enthusiast and can take my phone crashing.
Week 3: Things are bad. My phone restarts at least 10 times per day and Twitter needs to be reinstalled every 4 hours.
Week 3.5: This was the straw that broke the camel's back. My SD card stopped working. I kept restarting the phone and nothing happened. No matter what I did, it said the SD card was broken. I had no choice but to flash it back to 8.1. Everything worked out fine and the SD card works again.

TL;DR It's not ready for day-to-day use.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Damn..those are some serious problems.
Also..did you just say 'improved xbox music'?

Yes. It is much faster on 10 than it is on 8.1. I think Microsoft built part of the app back into the OS because the app never crashed on me once, loaded up almost instantly, and switched songs faster. The UI looks the same, but its still much better.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
Similar to jas. I lasted about a week before bailing. Waaay too many bugs. I really hope this upcoming massive release to more phones is seriously improved. If not there will be a lot of angry geeks on here.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
the second build should be much better!!!!!

I love ya, but based on what? I'm hoping as well, but let some people install and use it for a while and then we will see. My 635 locks up once or twice a day and requires a battery pull to get it back to life. Kinda hope the next build fixes that.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Similar to jas. I lasted about a week before bailing. Waaay too many bugs. I really hope this upcoming massive release to more phones is seriously improved. If not there will be a lot of angry geeks on here.

I highly doubt that. I have a feeling based on all the leaks and tweets by Gabe, its going to be more phones and more features that will then be fixed and improved on user feedback in build 3.

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Been using it on an 830 since it came out. Restarts and/or needs to be rebooted 2-3 times per week. Photos app seems to be the buggiest app. Second would be Cortana. Battery life noticeably shorter than with 8.1 but I can live with it. No issues with SD card, don't use Xbox music (Spotify works fine) and W10 actually fixed the Netflix bug, though it still acts up every once in a while.

Overall pretty happy with it and looking forward to the next build.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Been using it on an 830 since it came out. Restarts and/or needs to be rebooted 2-3 times per week. Photos app seems to be the buggiest app. Second would be Cortana. Battery life noticeably shorter than with 8.1 but I can live with it. No issues with SD card, don't use Xbox music (Spotify works fine) and W10 actually fixed the Netflix bug, though it still acts up every once in a while.

Overall pretty happy with it and looking forward to the next build.

Glad to hear about an 830 experience. I am considering switching from a 930 to an 830. If I do, I will likely go to W10 to try it out. The 830 would be the daily driver, so I was hoping to hear more about it before I plunged in.

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Alright, well overall things sound kind of bad. I was hoping I'd be able to use it on my main device, but I don't like the thought of a bunch of restarts, bugs, etc.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
yeah am glad i read this thread, with my 1020 being eligible next week, i thought it was a dead cert, but thanks to all the candid feedback, it's not for my only device just yet by the sounds of it, thanks! :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Although it remains to be seen what improvements/regressions the second build packs.

Its safe to assume not-quite-ready-for-use though.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I love ya, but based on what? I'm hoping as well, but let some people install and use it for a while and then we will see. My 635 locks up once or twice a day and requires a battery pull to get it back to life. Kinda hope the next build fixes that.

Based on LOGIC. I don't think Microsoft would produce something that would go behind of what they already have.. For those that already have it on their phone should be an improvement...Now the new phone that will receive the preview might not be so lucky though, as it will be their first preview...

But we shall see

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I have it on a dev device, and can day that while I enjoy playing with it, there are a lot of little bugs that need to be squashed before thinking about installing it on a daily driver.

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Just to clarify Preview for Developers will be for 8.1

It was noted by Gabe Aul Insider program will be the new PfD. As we all know its far too unstable still, few builds down the line PfD users that are aware of minor risks of more stable builds should move to the Insider program as PfD will be basically over once Windows 10 hits RTM.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Based on LOGIC. I don't think Microsoft would produce something that would go behind of what they already have.. For those that already have it on their phone should be an improvement...Now the new phone that will receive the preview might not be so lucky though, as it will be their first preview...

But we shall see

Based on logic MS packing new features in W10TP with every new build. and every new line of code can bring new bugs and crashes. so it's definitely possible that the next build has more problems than the current one. Bugfixing ist the last stage of software development - after it's feature-complete.

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Based on logic MS packing new features in W10TP with every new build. and every new line of code can bring new bugs and crashes. so it's definitely possible that the next build has more problems than the current one. Bugfixing ist the last stage of software development - after it's feature-complete.

Well, at least theyve been patching up build breaking bugs on PC, if a bad enough bug occurs on Phone they'll work hard and fast to patch it too. You can't test and give feedback if your phone wont stay on for 5 minutes (example) or feedback app is broken (example)

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

But we shall see
Thought i read somewhere the next release is mainly to expand it to more phones and not so much to improve it. To put a cork in the " whine".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte