Windows 10 for phones - very basic features required

tushardhingra

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone...for making Windows at par with other phone OS, it needs to have at least some basic features which are still missing. This thread is just for those features so that they are not ignored again (please post the features in W10 TP feedback also)

Here is my first list of those features:

1. Most important...toggle switch for "only 3G/4G" or something like that as it is really a need for many countries where 3G/4G signal strength is not good. It really annoys those who switch from Android to Windows.

2. Dedicated folder for Bluetooth files. It is also a very annoying thing. Many a times even supported files received are disappeared after receiving the file. It really pisses off even a fan of Windows phone.

3. Ability to accept all further file receipt and no need to accept each file shared over bluretooth.

4. Ability to attach multiple file types to E-mail attachment directly from Email app itself (and not only pictures). Yes we can do this through "files" but what if we need to attach two or more files to same email. crap!

5. Ability to forward e-mail with attachment even if attachment is not downloaded to phone.
I do not know who has noticed it yet but if you forward a E-mail and you have not downloaded the attachment to the phone first then the attachment will not be sent alongwith the mail.

6. Support for all bluetooth accessories. Most people find it very annoying that their bluetooth headset is not supported by Windows phone. Oh cummon it is really a very basic expectation from a so called Smartphone.

7. Ability to Record voice calls. Most android users really find this feature very helpful. It is a real dealbreaker fir them while they think of Windows phone.

8. Ability to forward Music through social networking.

9. Ability to save music to SD card which is received through social networking apps.

Each and every feature listed above is a real dealbreaker for those who even want to switch to WP.
Please add more here and lets ALL post these ALL to Technical Preview feedback.

Add more to the list which might get skipped here :)

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Each and every feature listed above is a real dealbreaker for those who even want to switch to WP.
That's a big assumption to make. And not true for everyone. To break it down further:
1) Not needed in most other territories
​2) Never received a Bluetooth file. Don't know anyone that has. Feature request is irrelevant.
​3) See 2.
4) Possibly.
​5) Can't see that happening.
6) Not found a Bluetooth headset yet that doesn't work with Windows Phone.
7) Illegal in a lot of places. Hence not readily implemented. If you need to record a call, I'd question if a voice call is the best communication method in that context.
8) Well that'd be down to the social networking apps. And their lawyers.
9) See 8.

I'm not rubbishing your points. Just demonstrating that what's "critical" to one user is completely irrelevant to another.

tushardhingra

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't know...may be you don't use WP as your daily driver but many of these features are used on daily basis by most android users and not having them in WP really drives them crazy if they switch to wp especially E-mail attachment forwarding, 3G toggle, bluetooth sharing.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
many of these features are used on daily basis by most android users
I'm not arguing, but I know many Android users (myself included) and haven't encountered those features being used. And I roll out a LOT of handsets for people. That's the point I'm trying to make - it's worthwhile asking MS for features, but if they're aiming at markets/demographics who simply don't want/need them, then the features may not ever be on the roadmap for inclusion.

abangfadli

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
That's a big assumption to make. And not true for everyone. To break it down further:
​2) Never received a Bluetooth file. Don't know anyone that has. Feature request is irrelevant..

I need those network locking. Most people do whose does not live in advanced country.

That's why they called it toggle. You can turn it on if you want. Most other territories don't need it then don't turn it on.

They called OPTIONS. You love apps that have lot of options aren't you? Same with OS.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
​2) Never received a Bluetooth file. Don't know anyone that has. Feature request is irrelevant.
​3) See 2.
4) Possibly.
​5) Can't see that happening.
6) Not found a Bluetooth headset yet that doesn't work with Windows Phone.
7) Illegal in a lot of places. Hence not readily implemented. If you need to record a call, I'd question if a voice call is the best communication method in that context.
8) Well that'd be down to the social networking apps. And their lawyers.
9) See 8.

I'm not rubbishing your points. Just demonstrating that what's "critical" to one user is completely irrelevant to another.

You have NEVER received a Bluetooth file ever ?? Wow.
Then you must not know how annoying it is to have to accept each and every item to download separately instead of continuously. This IS needed.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I kind of agree with hotphil. All these features I would rarely find myself using. Even the Bluetooth file transfer is kind of stretching it. Nice to have, but I don't think this is the kind of stuff that is even required or what most people want.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
India is one of the biggest Market for WP and probably will be the biggest smartphone market overall in the coming years.
And from the view point of Indians all the features the OP (also an India/South asian)listed are relevant.
The lack of these features are turning away a lot of WP users in India from buying another WP.
Especially the Bluetooth sharing one and 3g toggle.
Those who don't use it in the west fine but MS must give users the choice.
The market for WP in India is really huge as Lumia brand is considered high end and has a strong image thanks to Nokia. I see at least 10 Lumias a day and I am living in a rather remote are were there is not even a railway or airport... So MS do need to listen to what these users want if they need to stay relevant in this market.
A lot of users here are still on Ashas or other basic Nokia feature phones and them buying into WP should give a significant boost to the market share here.y

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I need those network locking. Most people do whose does not live in advanced country.

That's why they called it toggle. You can turn it on if you want. Most other territories don't need it then don't turn it on.

They called OPTIONS. You love apps that have lot of options aren't you? Same with OS.

If you want a phone with lots of 'options', why not go to Android? Android has loads of 'options' for anything and everything. WP works well because there aren't several different launchers and 5 million settings to worry about - and for the most part, people won't need most of the things you mentioned above. However if their primary market is India and other similar countries with lack of advanced infrastructure, then maybe they should look at it. But remember, WP is all about not having too many settings to confuse the user :p

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
If you want a phone with lots of 'options', why not go to Android? Android has loads of 'options' for anything and everything. WP works well because there aren't several different launchers and 5 million settings to worry about - and for the most part, people won't need most of the things you mentioned above. However if their primary market is India and other similar countries with lack of advanced infrastructure, then maybe they should look at it. But remember, WP is all about not having too many settings to confuse the user :p

I agree, I get a bit bored with all the posts about how WP doesn't have this or that and android does. Get an android phone...job done! I have one myself (HTC M8) it sits in my drawer gathering dust because despite the lack of all the vital facilities mentioned above (sarcasm intended) I still prefer the experience with WP. If you aren't happy with the platform to the extent that you can sit and make a list then you really should just switch and get all that vital extra functionality.

Qais Abu-Hasan

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Did you put them on uservoice ? Specially the Bluetooth accepting thing , its frustrating to accept each file :/ so give me a link I have to vote :p

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
If you want a phone with lots of 'options', why not go to Android? Android has loads of 'options' for anything and everything. WP works well because there aren't several different launchers and 5 million settings to worry about - and for the most part, people won't need most of the things you mentioned above. However if their primary market is India and other similar countries with lack of advanced infrastructure, then maybe they should look at it. But remember, WP is all about not having too many settings to confuse the user
Well I am guessing Microsoft has the exact same attitude, that's why Windows Phone will always be stuck at 3% market share because Microsoft doesn't understand emerging markets.

Even symbian used to have most of the features mentioned by the OP. That's one of the reasons so many people in developing countries had such a high regard for Nokia, they didn't put features that were required only in their home country.

Last edited:

vicky geth

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
India is one of the biggest Market for WP and probably will be the biggest smartphone market overall in the coming years.
And from the view point of Indians all the features the OP (also an India/South asian)listed are relevant.
The lack of these features are turning away a lot of WP users in India from buying another WP.
Especially the Bluetooth sharing one and 3g toggle.
Those who don't use it in the west fine but MS must give users the choice.
The market for WP in India is really huge as Lumia brand is considered high end and has a strong image thanks to Nokia. I see at least 10 Lumias a day and I am living in a rather remote are were there is not even a railway or airport... So MS do need to listen to what these users want if they need to stay relevant in this market.
A lot of users here are still on Ashas or other basic Nokia feature phones and them buying into WP should give a significant boost to the market share here.y
And..... The Applock feature is very much needed for Indians

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Please add more here and lets ALL post these ALL to Technical Preview feedback.

I am sorry but each and every feature is not a deal breaker for those wanting to switch. They are deal breakers for you. Feel free to post to uservoice but I doubt most will get much traction. Quite frankly, other than the first one (3G/4G toggle) they span stuff no one I know has ever noted. Several are also illegal (or lawyer fodder) in the US - those would be 7 - 9. Android is open source, which is something Google uses for legal cover; Microsoft gets sued or has the Justice Department on its back. With respect to Bluetooth, I have never encountered a device that would not connect and I am pretty sure most are moving away from Bluetooth file transfer anyway. Regarding connections, I know the Bluetooth stack was once pretty poor but that has not been my experience for more than a year. I am sure there are devices out there that will not connect but the same is also definitely true for Android. They are just different devices. You cannot be everything to everyone. As for ability to forward email without downloading to the phone, 1) I am pretty sure everyone should have noticed since it flashes a message every time you try, and 2) I prefer it the way it is. Given the state of email Apps in Android, if it doesn't do that then, congratulations, you found something that isn't an absolute mess.

If you really want everything on your list there is a very simple solution. Buy the devices that offer them, which would be some sort of Android phone. BTW, I would have not even bothered to post if you had not claimed this was some sort of universal sentiment. You are absolutely entitled to your own opinion. The part to which I object is the implication you are speaking for the masses of non-WP customers. You are only speaking for yourself and should likewise post here and via uservoice with your own voice....

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Just one or two points here:

1. India, India, India, India, India. Any chance you guys could stop being so parochial? There are other people on these forums.
2. Email attachments, really? Don't you realise email isn't secure? If you want to share files, its better to share them from the cloud, especially where you're challenged for bandwidth.

Other than that, I think you'll get most of what you want with Windows 10. What you don't get will probably be down to maintaining the unparalleled security of Windows Phone, which is worth so much more than occasionally sharing files.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Quite frankly..what you wrote about getting an android phone is quite stupid. If that's the case then you are perfectly fine with windows phone 8.1 then ? Since you don't think features are important. Wow.
All the new features that we've longed for since the beginning of the windows phone platform are finally being implemented to aid the platform in growing aren't needed then ? Then we should all move to android huh, because windows phone just "works" the way it is now ? That's a total joke.
In fact, lets all move back to WP7 since we don't care about features.
Not saying we need each and every feature but come on.
What the OP suggested may come in handy. Not all of them but certainly the email, especially folks who use it would notice the frustration of having to download every single attachment when you just need to forward something whether its a class assignment, document, invoices or pictures. Especially from people you know to those who claim email isn't "secure". Use your brains people.
Sorry for the harsh tone but for you guys to be completely satisfied at the lack of basic features our phones should have is not helping the platform to grow nor attract app developers at all who want to use those features for their apps. And there are many.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Quite frankly..what you wrote about getting an android phone is quite stupid. If that's the case then you are perfectly fine with windows phone 8.1 then ? Since you don't think features are important. Wow.
All the new features that we've longed for since the beginning of the windows phone platform are finally being implemented to aid the platform in growing aren't needed then ? Then we should all move to android huh, because windows phone just "works" the way it is now ? That's a total joke.
In fact, lets all move back to WP7 since we don't care about features.
Not saying we need each and every feature but come on.
What the OP suggested may come in handy. Not all of them but certainly the email, especially folks who use it would notice the frustration of having to download every single attachment when you just need to forward something whether its a class assignment, document, invoices or pictures. Especially from people you know to those who claim email isn't "secure". Use your brains people.
Sorry for the harsh tone but for you guys to be completely satisfied at the lack of basic features our phones should have is not helping the platform to grow nor attract app developers at all who want to use those features for their apps. And there are many.

Ummm those aren't basic features that everyone needs those are features " you need " The only thing I rarely use is the 3G/lte(4g) toggle but other than that all of the "basic" features that were mentioned I've never needed or used.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk but I prefer my 810 and 830

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb