Windows 10 for phones - very basic features required

tushardhingra

May 20, 2014
Visit site
...and by 'the scene' you mean your scene. Let me know how you get on with that 'simple' task of getting Microsoft to bend to your will and engineer like it's 2009 again...

Well I still don't get it why just asking for a simple feature required by many people (may be u don't need it), which is already present in Android phones is going to bend Microsoft to go to 2009. If you don't need the feature, why does it even concern you whether anyone else is asking for it :p

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
It seems counter intuitive to ask manufacturers to retro fit out of date features into new technology. How about lobbying the powers that be in those areas to actually improve the network? Whether that be network providers or government. Asking for these things seems like abject surrender to crap service and shifting the blame to a manufacturer when they are not the problem.

I ddon'tlive in India and dont suffer from bad telecommunication services and stuff like that. But I would like to know what out of date features you're talking about.

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
(for those who are saying they are not concerned, it even concerns you indirectly)

Here is the short story...People do not buy wp because of lack of apps...but some just went to try wp...found even basic features missing...market share remain constant due to new people trying wp and some old switching back to android/ios due to lack of a basic feature that they were used to...sale stores do not stock wp and defend themselves by saying wp is crap...potential customers are lost...developers do not support wp due to lack of users...users further don't go for wp due to lack of apps and features...vicious circle continues and wp dies a natural death...people stuck with laggy droid.

"If you do not use any of the features as infrastructure in your country is very well developed doesn't mean that people in the rest of the WORLD do not need them"
YES!!FINALLY!! Someone has said it. I've been going through this website seeing people giving reasons for the small market share of WP & every time, the reason given for this is-"Lack of apps". For many people I know, It's NOT. They are not in need of a large no. of apps or games, but they need some basic features which are simply unavailable on WP. For me, WP is "an incomplete phone OS with support for apps". The sad part is that even the apps are unable to fill these gaps, either due to devs not being interested in developing for WP or due to lack of proper APIs(no suitable example in mind at the moment) necessary for some apps to function properly.

To give an example of an incomplete feature, BT is the most appropriate one. I've been using WP since 2 years & I still cannot believe that MS does not even have a single idea that you should not be required to-1.Go to settings 2.Find BT settings 3.Turn BT on 4.Go back to the file you want to share 5.From the menu,select share via bluetooth & share the file(The option is invisible if BT has not been turned on in the settings earlier.) 5.Go back to settings 6.Turn off BT.
This is absolutely irritating, since the OS should give the option to share via BT without going into settings first. It should automatically switch BT on when needed, & turn it off when the process has been completed. This is such a general procedure that it can be found in phones found 7-8 years ago.
I sincerely feel that MS is doing a good job with Windows 10, but I still feel that in the presence of some big features like Universal apps & Project Spartan & whatever else, they will still ignore & simply forget these small features & functions which help in providing a better user experience. Due to this, I'm basically ready to switch to Android at the next possible instant. Don't get me wrong, I really want to appreciate WP, but MS has disappointed me to such an extent with WP8(considerably less with WP8.1, but still) that I don't see myself sticking with WP & my Lumia 520 will probably remain just to test Windows 10 when it arrives.

As for the people who basically have a single statement for every missing feature-"We don't need this & we don't care", I hope Microsoft is not paying attention to such kind of arrogance or they can simply shut the WP business down & be gone or just stay wherever they would like to(in the mobile phone market), as I don't see them gaining up from 3% worldwide.
Lastly, whether anyone likes it or not, India is a very important market & will remain so as it has a huge untapped market. The cloud will not work here(not for a great while,at least), features on local devices will.

Cage Ata

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Completely agree. Most stores in New Zealand don't advertise windows phone at all. Neither in their mailing or in stores.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
YES!!FINALLY!! Someone has said it. I've been going through this website seeing people giving reasons for the small market share of WP & every time, the reason given for this is-"Lack of apps". For many people I know, It's NOT. They are not in need of a large no. of apps or games, but they need some basic features which are simply unavailable on WP. For me, WP is "an incomplete phone OS with support for apps". The sad part is that even the apps are unable to fill these gaps, either due to devs not being interested in developing for WP or due to lack of proper APIs(no suitable example in mind at the moment) necessary for some apps to function properly.

To give an example of an incomplete feature, BT is the most appropriate one. I've been using WP since 2 years & I still cannot believe that MS does not even have a single idea that you should not be required to-1.Go to settings 2.Find BT settings 3.Turn BT on 4.Go back to the file you want to share 5.From the menu,select share via bluetooth & share the file(The option is invisible if BT has not been turned on in the settings earlier.) 5.Go back to settings 6.Turn off BT.
This is absolutely irritating, since the OS should give the option to share via BT without going into settings first. It should automatically switch BT on when needed, & turn it off when the process has been completed. This is such a general procedure that it can be found in phones found 7-8 years ago.
I sincerely feel that MS is doing a good job with Windows 10, but I still feel that in the presence of some big features like Universal apps & Project Spartan & whatever else, they will still ignore & simply forget these small features & functions which help in providing a better user experience. Due to this, I'm basically ready to switch to Android at the next possible instant. Don't get me wrong, I really want to appreciate WP, but MS has disappointed me to such an extent with WP8(considerably less with WP8.1, but still) that I don't see myself sticking with WP & my Lumia 520 will probably remain just to test Windows 10 when it arrives.

As for the people who basically have a single statement for every missing feature-"We don't need this & we don't care", I hope Microsoft is not paying attention to such kind of arrogance or they can simply shut the WP business down & be gone or just stay wherever they would like to(in the mobile phone market), as I don't see them gaining up from 3% worldwide.
Lastly, whether anyone likes it or not, India is a very important market & will remain so as it has a huge untapped market. The cloud will not work here(not for a great while,at least), features on local devices will.

Some people just don't get it. We don't need to become like android and have a thousand motion gesture features like eye scanning to move the web page and screen swiping and others. But we do need FEATURES that are standard across most devices like unified and improved BT and others.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I kind of understand the request for BT features but is wifi-direct not more convenient/faster. And is this not already possible or is it a problem that both phones need to have the "same" app.

tushardhingra

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I kind of understand the request for BT features but is wifi-direct not more convenient/faster. And is this not already possible or is it a problem that both phones need to have the "same" app.

And the story again takes a sad turn...we don't even have WiFi Direct. Yeah we have "Share it" but again other phone should have it...and asking a friend or anyone who is not a great friend, hey download this application to transfer that kind of file as my WP doesn't even support receiving a HUGE types of files via BT which actually was supported by phones 7 years ago...ok don'tpull out that OTG cable, my phone doesn't recognize it...Ok I'll ask for that file later...thanks anyway.

And. the embarrassing moment takes away 2 more customers at some future time ;)

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
The only one I really feel is necessary is being able to attach files to emails. The rest of them are pretty rare for most users I'd think - at least in the US. Recording a phone calls is also legally hazy. You have to notify the other party that you're going to be recording it, otherwise it's illegal. But yeah, US WP users don't really use Bluetooth to transfer files. I'd much rather email it.

But yeah, deal breaker features are sort of dependent on the user.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

WP Doesn't support that feature. But I guess according to some here its not important and we shouldn't have it since they don't have a use for it although numerous other people do ;-)
Lets just stay as we are with no technology improvements and hope somehow our platform gets more interesting and grows.
Pftttt...while were at it we don't need the new feature to reply to a message from the notification in wp10 either....No ? Since a lot of people might not use it either...

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
WP Doesn't support that feature. But I guess according to some here its not important and we shouldn't have it since they don't have a use for it although numerous other people do ;-)

Lets just stay as we are with no technology improvements and hope somehow our platform gets more interesting and grows.
Pftttt...while were at it we don't need the new feature to reply to a message from the notification in wp10 either....No ? Since a lot of people might not use it either...

You can enable internet sharing and use a app as Shareit. So it is available and faster as bluetooth.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
The only one I really feel is necessary is being able to attach files to emails. The rest of them are pretty rare for most users I'd think - at least in the US. Recording a phone calls is also legally hazy. You have to notify the other party that you're going to be recording it, otherwise it's illegal. But yeah, US WP users don't really use Bluetooth to transfer files. I'd much rather email it.

But yeah, deal breaker features are sort of dependent on the user.

That can already be done now with the help from the app File Attacher. http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=d2b228ba-39b1-4cb7-8e12-f9bf48e61281

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
That's probably a difficult balance to achieve. If a feature that is popular in some countries but not available, the residents of that country might not buy the device. However, if a feature is present that Americans consider antiquated, they might not buy that device because they consider it old-fashioned.

Perhaps, devices need to have those features, but only in certain countries and not in the US.

Now that's a very lame excuse here. Android has almost all features, still it holds around 50% of marketshare. Americans don't buy a device because it has certain feature is outright wrong.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
You can enable internet sharing and use a app as Shareit. So it is available and faster as bluetooth.

Proper WiFi direct will be available in Windows 10 for phones, so we might see apps like Xender in future. Present implementation isn't user friendly. Many don't even know about that trick.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Indeed many people do not know some tricks like the internet sharing or the File attach app so exposure of these tricks is also important.
But if some people would spend there time to find these "tricks" iso wasting time with "black vs white" arguments a lot of posts would be more educational . (but probably less entertaining) ��

Last edited:

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, the 3G lock is seriously a need of the hour at least for me. It so happens that I need to use my phone to do a check in with a picture, browse or mail something and i'm like, damn my WP is on 2G, whereas my friend with a droid being on the same network is on 3G. The situation is even more pathetic when your travelling using navigation and the phone keeps on switching between 2G and 3G loosing traffic data and cortana saying, I'm sorry the internet and I arent talking now :\

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, the 3G lock is seriously a need of the hour at least for me. It so happens that I need to use my phone to do a check in with a picture, browse or mail something and i'm like, damn my WP is on 2G, whereas my friend with a droid being on the same network is on 3G. The situation is even more pathetic when your travelling using navigation and the phone keeps on switching between 2G and 3G loosing traffic data and cortana saying, I'm sorry the internet and I arent talking now :\

I never knew this little "problem" could be fixed by adding a simple lock! Gosh, when will MS wake up? -_-
Constant switching to 2G is the most annoying problem for me on my 820
Do we seriously have to complain and tell them about each and every small feature on UserVoice?

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Indeed many people do not know some tricks like the internet sharing or the File attach app so exposure of these tricks is also important.
But if some people would spend there time to find these "tricks" iso wasting time with "black vs white" arguments a lot of posts would be more educational . (but probably less entertaining) ��

. The thing is what you're not seeing is that these are "tricks" and not built into the OS as standalone features. That's the main Point people are making. Always having to do work arounds with Wp seems to be the accepted way of lifestyle with the fanbase for years now including me. This shouldn't be so.
And to make things worse is that Microsoft in of itself doesn't even promote these "tricks" to allow users to know that there is a way to do these. That's saying ALOT. We shouldn't have to do searches and download extra apps just too use basic features.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
. The thing is what you're not seeing is that these are "tricks" and not built into the OS as standalone features. That's the main Point people are making. Always having to do work arounds with Wp seems to be the accepted way of lifestyle with the fanbase for years now including me. This shouldn't be so.
And to make things worse is that Microsoft in of itself doesn't even promote these "tricks" to allow users to know that there is a way to do these. That's saying ALOT. We shouldn't have to do searches and download extra apps just too use basic features.

I do see your point and i partly agree, but you first said that you could not transfer files between phones with internet sharing. And can this be done on android without an app.? (And i am taking here about the internet sharing feature.)
And here in Windows Central you can find a lot of information about useful tips.
But off course you can also voice out the shortcomings of windows phone and you will get a lot of people who agree. But there will also be people who will give a possible solution.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Not what I mean. You can already do it from onedrive as well. When I want to send an email, however, I shouldn't have to leave the app. I'm, in my mind, sending an email with files attached not sending files with an email attached. I shouldn't have to leave the app to attach files, that's crazy.

In your post you said it was not possible but it is possible and I can not know what you do not say. I bye the way agree with you that attaching file should be easier but i don't agree with you that the current situation is crazy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb