Can i damage my phone by installing Win10 TP?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The most you'd have to worry about is losing files if you have to hard reset or rollback. Get an SD card for your files. I can't imagine how an operating system could physically damage your hardware.
The most you have to worry about if a partition re-sizing fails (something that will be needed on every device listed) is an unrecoverable bricked device since it would be very unlikely one could roll back. A corrupted partition or even one that is incorrectly sized can stop any device in its tracks quite permanently. I am sorry, but people who "can't imagine how an operating system could physically damage hardware" haven't thought about it much or haven't done due diligence. It may not be "likely" but is still absolutely possible to brick a device under the circumstances.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
No but watch out for Win11 it's a PITA ! ET ( Cortana is dead by 10.5 ) keeps saying phone home but I can't !

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
There is a better than average chance that you could end up with a device you cannot use. I have two Lumia; 920 an 1520. I have to say in advance, I really like the changes. The settings are a favorite. Once its done, this will be a very worthy upgrade. Having said that, at this point, I've seen enough that my daily driver, Lumia 1520 won't be getting this update. Maybe the next but certainly not this one. It broke too much of what I do daily for my 1520.to have this update. It is beautiful what MS has done with Windows 10 for phones and I can't wait to get a release version on my 1520 or whatever Surface phone MS puts out.

My big wish is that people that installed this would quit talking about this beta as if MS just released an new OS and simply recognize that they signed up to be testers for a product yet to be released.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
There is a better than average chance that you could end up with a device you cannot use. I have two Lumia; 920 an 1520. I have to say in advance, I really like the changes. The settings are a favorite. Once its done, this will be a very worthy upgrade. Having said that, at this point, I've seen enough that my daily driver, Lumia 1520 won't be getting this update. Maybe the next but certainly not this one. It broke too much of what I do daily for my 1520.to have this update. It is beautiful what MS has done with Windows 10 for phones and I can't wait to get a release version on my 1520 or whatever Surface phone MS puts out.

My big wish is that people that installed this would quit talking about this beta as if MS just released an new OS and simply recognize that they signed up to be testers for a product yet to be released.
I installed it on a 920 without a SIM. It took 2 hours, but it looks really nice. I'll test it on WiFi and see how it goes. I took the fast update.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I installed it on a 920 without a SIM. It took 2 hours, but it looks really nice. I'll test it on WiFi and see how it goes. I took the fast update.

Now that I have it installed on my 920, also no sim, I'm going to do some discovery, at least enough so whatever debug data being pushed back to Redmond could be recorded.

What I know now is response time is a bit labored but many of my apps did work. What didn't work is the camera button. Well, it works but the camera I get are about 3 mini images occupying the top third of my phone and the rest is blacked out. Their might be a tweak for that but I haven't looked yet.

If I launch the camera app, it works and works well. Wifi works. I had to put in my wifi password because that didn't carry over from the update. All in all, I really do think the refinements enhance the experience of owning it. And as much as I want to see this on a larger screen, I'm going to try real hard to wait. :) But I think the changes are visually stunning.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Now that I have it installed on my 920, also no sim, I'm going to do some discovery, at least enough so whatever debug data being pushed back to Redmond could be recorded.

What I know now is response time is a bit labored but many of my apps did work. What didn't work is the camera button. Well, it works but the camera I get are about 3 mini images occupying the top third of my phone and the rest is blacked out. Their might be a tweak for that but I haven't looked yet.

If I launch the camera app, it works and works well. Wifi works. I had to put in my wifi password because that didn't carry over from the update. All in all, I really do think the refinements enhance the experience of owning it. And as much as I want to see this on a larger screen, I'm going to try real hard to wait. :) But I think the changes are visually stunning.
I've noticed the same thing so far, but my WiFi password did stay. My 920 was connected to my home network when it rebooted after update.

My Outlook tile isn't live, nor are my email inboxes linked, though.

I also don't see how to change how long the screen stays on.

I don't think it's done updating, though, because my router is still blinking constantly, despite most of my devices sleeping now.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed the same thing so far, but my WiFi password did stay. My 920 was connected to my home network when it rebooted after update.

My Outlook tile isn't live, nor are my email inboxes linked, though.

I also don't see how to change how long the screen stays on.

I don't think it's done updating, though, because my router is still blinking constantly, despite most of my devices sleeping now.

The email issue bugs me a little. I'll root around in the settings to see if I can do something about that. I did find in the settings I could choose the Lumia Camera Beta. Once I did that, the camera button does something usable. As an aside, Is your 920 updated to Denim? Mine still shows Cyan.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The email issue bugs me a little. I'll root around in the settings to see if I can do something about that. I did find in the settings I could choose the Lumia Camera Beta. Once I did that, the camera button does something usable. As an aside, Is your 920 updated to Denim? Mine still shows Cyan.
1102207ccc1f9714034cf63eb0ea27ce.jpg

That's what mine shows. I didn't get an earlier update prior to that. It took 2 hours then showed that once it was done.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/11/1102207ccc1f9714034cf63eb0ea27ce.jpg
That's what mine shows. I didn't get an earlier update prior to that. It took 2 hours then showed that once it was done.

I get that too in the About page. Under Extras/Extras+Info, it shows Lumia Cyan. Is Device Encryption new? I think it might be.
Also, the calculator is quite awesome in Windows 10 for phones. I do a l lot of math and I really didn't need to see this. It nudges me to have it on my 1520 but,, I must resist. lol.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I get that too in the About page. Under Extras/Extras+Info, it shows Lumia Cyan. Is Device Encryption new? I think it might be.
Also, the calculator is quite awesome in Windows 10 for phones. I do a l lot of math and I really didn't need to see this. It nudges me to have it on my 1520 but,, I must resist. lol.

Yes, mine still shows Cyan as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05