So what happened on the big day?

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
What would make me excited about this build:
-rectangular toggle
-black theme in settings and throughout the entire OS
-ability to disable notification center. I don't want it.
-ability to see my social notifications on the Me Tile as before 8.1
-merged X-Box Video, Music, Podcast, Radio into one hub app with a separated now playing screen with left/right swipe to advance tracks
-restore Local Scout and Bing Vision in the search feature / Cortana
-restore barcode scanning
-restore the original i-bar cursor behavior
-ability to disable the 'cursor nib' in the keyboard
-restored Photo Hub
-restored social networking integration so I don't need a separate app to like, comment, tweet, retweet from the Me Tile, People Hub, Photo Hub, or any contact card
-toggle to remove games from the app list and show only in the Games Hub
-a better mobile IE / Spartan interface. I can't stand the minimalist trend, and want the option to have the pre-mango style back.
-restore the original behavior of playing videos in IE rather than having them in-line, which results in tiny controls that are hard to tap.
-restore the old messaging hub by integrating Facebook Messaging and Skype so that we don't need to use Skype for messaging, since it'd be integrated.
-add new emoticons, including the new Spock emoticon
-restore the 'Recent' pane in People. I can't be the only one who used this and misses this.
-launch the phone dialer in the dialpad
-stop the combined call history and go back to reverse-chronological order. The behavior now is frustrating and irritating.
-restore Rooms
-restore Pictures in contacts
-change the behavior of buttons: tap+hold on start to launch Cortana; tap on search to search in-app, which is disabled in-game; tap+hold on search to launch Bing Search in the panorama we used to enjoy, including Local Scout, Bing Vision, and Bing Music.
-remove hamburger menus from everywhere in the OS and return to the native pivots that pivot.
-and everything here.

Why don't you just roll back to WP 8.0 huh?
It has everything you like.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Ms could have released the new build without catching the bug for the 930... That would have been worse news probably. I am kinda puzzled the Icon is included though, I thought they practically the same phone.

Last edited:

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Finally found my old 520 to test with! Unfortunately my daughter has shattered the screen. :cry:
Guess I'll be using my 1520 for testing :smile:

tohoshinki

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I have some reservations about upgrading. From the leaked screenshots it looks like Microsoft has thrown metro design language out the window (pun intended). 8.1 Update 1 is pretty much perfect, its consistent from start to finish. W10 seems to be moving from the minimalist approach of 8.1 towards a 'cram-everything-in' approach. I haven't used it yet so I don't know what I'm in for.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Will this be a birthday gift or a birthday blunder? It's my birthday in 13 mins! :D

Some reviews on the performance of the preview on the 1520 would be a great WindowsCentral gift! :cool:

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I have some reservations about upgrading. From the leaked screenshots it looks like Microsoft has thrown metro design language out the window (pun intended). 8.1 Update 1 is pretty much perfect, its consistent from start to finish. W10 seems to be moving from the minimalist approach of 8.1 towards a 'cram-everything-in' approach. I haven't used it yet so I don't know what I'm in for.
Meanwhile, over on the PC side of things, people are complaining that everything's getting ripped out and dumbed down. I expect the final product will be somewhere in the middle between minimalist phone capability and maximum PC power, hopefully with enough customization options to keep us all happy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel