Are WP fans holding WP from evolving

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Whatever there is, I would much rather see them go with their own design language of some kind instead of making it look like everything else (while others are moving forward). Creativity.. Why not improve swiping, gestures instead.. Give me that "Wow' effect when it comes out :p

And please "It looks like Android".., Seriously it doesn't. Material design is way better and works like a charm. And they are moving away from Hamburgers. So please, that statement is so old that you must get over it. XD

Funny thing, they use pivots and dots ! :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Most often I would agree with this statement, but it ignores the elephant in the room. It seems to support Microsoft moving towards the old design language of the other OS's, the language the other OS's themselves are moving away from. Copying old ideas like, for instance the hamburger, on the hope that it would be seen as familiar, (rather than old). Microsoft seems to be copying inconsistent random UI ideas rather than innovating further, the existing innovative Modern UI and maintaining a clear and consistent UI.

Apple computer OS has 6% market share worldwide. Do they panic, and change their UI to copy goggle and Microsoft? No, they stick to their principals and grow and extend their UI to make it better. They don't change their UI to copy others. Normally I don't have much good to say about Apple, but I respect them, for this.

That all said, let's hope for the best.
The thing is, Microsoft needs to have a UI that people will be easily able to adapt to. Given that Windows Phone has a small market share compared to Android and iOS means that most new Windows Phone users will be coming from Android or iOS, not folks who never had a smartphone.

A totally different UI will only confuse people and turn them off.

I remember when I tried BlackBerry Z10 for the first time in a T-Mobile store shortly after it was released. I spent about 15 minutes fumbling around, since I had no clue how the gestures worked. I had no issues using iPhones/Androids at that time, even though I never owned either back in 2012. Eventually, I just put the BlackBerry Z10 down, and I never picked one up again. I wasn't new to smartphones, and I wasn't even new to BlackBerry (I used legacy BBOS devices from 2009-2012).

Something too different has a danger of being too unfamiliar and driving away potential customers, rather than attracting them.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Some WP fans make fun of other OS (mostly iOS) for having the same GUI year after year, yet whenever WP get new GUI they are up in arms about it. The irony

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I honestly do not think for one second WP users are holding back WP at all.

If you want to be honest, WP7 was technically a sales flop. Period. Windows Mobile devices were STILL outselling WP 7 devices when WP 8 was announced. It took Nokia coming on board to change that.

WP 8 was announced, and sales improved. WP 8 was a serious step up, and if I am right I was among the last of the regulars on this site to put away the WP7 and get a WP8.

WP 8.1 was announced, and again we all got excited. Sales -particularly in Europe and to a lesser degree India, and mostly on the low end devices- continued small but noticeable improvements.

I expect the same in Windows 10. What that tells me is the improvements are driving sales. If we were really "holding things back", wouldn't we all still be rocking Nokia 900's??

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Their implementation of a notification tray is terrible.

If they are going to change the UI design, at least make the OS more practical to use. When MyTube and Readit sport the Windows 10 look I will be switching to a ZenFone 2

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

If you want to be honest, WP7 was technically a sales flop. Period. Windows Mobile devices were STILL outselling WP 7 devices when WP 8 was announced. It took Nokia coming on board to change that.

WP 8 was announced, and sales improved. WP 8 was a serious step up, and if I am right I was among the last of the regulars on this site to put away the WP7 and get a WP8.

WP 8.1 was announced, and again we all got excited. Sales -particularly in Europe and to a lesser degree India, and mostly on the low end devices- continued small but noticeable improvements.

I expect the same in Windows 10. What that tells me is the improvements are driving sales. If we were really "holding things back", wouldn't we all still be rocking Nokia 900's??

Nokia 808 ftw

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Their implementation of a notification tray is terrible.

If they are going to change the UI design, at least make the OS more practical to use. When MyTube and Readit sport the Windows 10 look I will be switching to a ZenFone 2
While I have no absolute doubt that they would have a Windows 10 app ready. They can have their own look for their apps on each form factor for Windows 10 while it's easier to have their apps run on all Windows devices. They can have a hamburger for the tablet and PC app and have a pivot for the phone. Its just changing the layout pretty much

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I mean look at the notification centre from WP8.1 everybody hated it and wanted it to go away and look at it now. Its a tool that everybody uses. Same with the UI with Windows 10. Everybody hates the new UI for Windows 10 for phones.

I'll be happy to say that I think the notifications centre is crap and a poor implementation that could easily have been done way better and suited the OS better. The action centre I am happy with though, in general.

I'm planing on testing out W10 soon on my L920 and then I'll provide a proper opinion. I can't hate something I haven't tried.

The OS is also for small tablets, putting a full screen date and time pickers makes NO sense whatsoever. have you guys thought about them? Of course not

It makes it easy to use though does it not? Nothing I hate more than fiddling with something. Got a better idea?

Get over it guys, Metro UI lost. Its out of date and no longer acceptable to have the same UI for a long time, let alone years what MS did

So what are we putting in place? Is the new W10 for phones not tiled? Is that not Metro? Do you understand the design language in the first place? The only reason why things have gone the way they have is because MS wanted control of updates and the carriers gave them the big finger. So WP had to change. If MS had their way things would be a lot better but that's not reality unfortunately.

Do you agree we WP fans are clinging to the past and not letting WP evolve the way it's supposed to?

WP has evolved. Not sure where you've been.

Do you like live tiles? Did you understand the point of them? Why are you on WP if you think the interface old and tired? What's a better solution? How about giving some idea of how to do things better?

All I see is a lot of opinion with no substance and no references. Seems trollish if you ask me.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I'll be happy to say that I think the notifications centre is crap and a poor implementation that could easily have been done way better and suited the OS better. The action centre I am happy with though, in general.

I'm planing on testing out W10 soon on my L920 and then I'll provide a proper opinion. I can't hate something I haven't tried.

It makes it easy to use though does it not? Nothing I hate more than fiddling with something. Got a better idea?

So what are we putting in place? Is the new W10 for phones not tiled? Is that not Metro? Do you understand the design language in the first place? The only reason why things have gone the way they have is because MS wanted control of updates and the carriers gave them the big finger. So WP had to change. If MS had their way things would be a lot better but that's not reality unfortunately.

WP has evolved. Not sure where you've been.

Do you like live tiles? Did you understand the point of them? Why are you on WP if you think the interface old and tired? What's a better solution? How about giving some idea of how to do things better?

All I see is a lot of opinion with no substance and no references. Seems trollish if you ask me.
While it is my opinion. But, I think we need to understand that having the same design language as WP8.1 isn't going to solve any problems that Windows, Xbox and WP had with consistency and integration. Also I think the best way for having a date and time picker is definitely Microsoft's way of implementing.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I mean look at the notification centre from WP8.1 everybody hated it and wanted it to go away and look at it now. Its a tool that everybody uses. Same with the UI with Windows 10. Everybody hates the new UI for Windows 10 for phones.

There's a big difference between the notification center in 8.1 and the look of W10. While the NC in 8.1 is an obvious lift from Android at least it caries the clean and clear design language of the rest of the OS. You just can't say the same about the look of W10 which is bland and poorly designed at best. Some may see that as an evolution but for most who came to WP because it was unique, stylish and easy to use know it's a big backwards step. I hope MS proves me wrong and the finished product isn't a half-assed mess but I doubt it.

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
ah.. people are nagging about the looks, which is the most abstract thing... at this stage of WP we need to demand features, not complain about the UI...
the visuals are part of a concept that MS decided to go with on all platforms (you can se it in W10 for PC). it'll be fine.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
While it is my opinion. But, I think we need to understand that having the same design language as WP8.1 isn't going to solve any problems that Windows, Xbox and WP had with consistency and integration. Also I think the best way for having a date and time picker is definitely Microsoft's way of implementing.

My point was that Metro is the design language. Flat, sleek and simple in other words. W10 is supposed to be the thing brings everything together finally but still a starting point.

I wasn't suggesting for a moment that WP8.0 or WP8.1 was the pinnacle of that design either.

I agree with the date and time picker!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
ah.. people are nagging about the looks, which is the most abstract thing... at this stage of WP we need to demand features, not complain about the UI...
the visuals are part of a concept that MS decided to go with on all platforms (you can se it in W10 for PC). it'll be fine.

What features are missing if you don't mind me asking? What does any other OS have over WP aside from more and popular apps?

I have no issues with the UI at this moment.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What features are missing if you don't mind me asking? What does any other OS have over WP aside from more and popular apps?

I have no issues with the UI at this moment.

Background tasks. Have to leave apps open to upload photos, e.g WhatsApp.
Usability issues, inconsistencies, etc. Background suspension is still pretty bad, even in WP8.1 .. In contrast iOS is far more mature, despite its added restrictions

WPit

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes, there are those who think differently and this is perfectly normal, part of the game. At the same time, this won't hold our platform from evolving, on the contrary, it will help the development process through various channels.

My case, for example, is that I'm with WP since 2012 out of basically two reasons: a) since then, I can afford a smartphone (900, 925, 930 - 925 and 930 still active, sold the 900); b) phone OS is Microsoft and I like everything the company does since the beginning of Windows (I was there as a consumer - Intel 386 (my father's) anyone?). I'm that guy who won't jump ship, you know? Cheers!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I agree, but I have a different idea as to why I feel that way. For one thing, I think we're defining "holding back" differently. You're basically saying that WP is not being held back, and is growing. I'm not quite so optimistic. If you read reports from a couple years ago, pretty much everyone thought that WP would be holding a 10%, 15%, or even 20% market share by now. It would be hurting Apple big time, and even making a serious dent in Android's grip on the market. But since WP8 was released, it has not grown at all by market share. Absolute numbers, yes, but the overall smartphone market has grown even more.

I guess I'm a bit more cynical about why I feel WP users are not holding back WP. Does Microsoft listen to us at all? Now I know that there's a uservoice where we can input our suggestions. I've used it myself, but I have yet to see where it's made a difference. I spend my entire workday in Microsoft's enterprise ecosystem. I've used uservoice for things besides WP.

I think uservoice is a placebo more than anything. And even if a highly requested feature comes out, how do we know it's because of uservoice? Maybe Microsoft was planning on it before it came up on uservoice. Who knows?

In a nutshell, we're not holding back WP because even if we make suggestions that involve leaving the UI as it is, I'm pretty sure it won't make a difference.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Background tasks. Have to leave apps open to upload photos, e.g WhatsApp.
Usability issues, inconsistencies, etc. Background suspension is still pretty bad, even in WP8.1 .. In contrast iOS is far more mature, despite its added restrictions

Background tasks is not for uploading photos on whatsapp. All OS have background tasks for push notifications. That's how it works.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Commenting on the OP, I don't believe Windows Phone users are holding back the platform, its Microsoft itself holding themselves back. I have one word to describe Microsoft and their need to stay relevant......... Nokia. Back in 2007, Nokia didn't take Apple seriously and look where they are today. Though it's highly unlikely Microsoft will be bought out by another company, my point is that they need new features and improvements in the grand scheme of things to stay relevant and competitive. The only people that will ultimately hold Microsoft back is Microsoft, especially if they fail to listen to their loyal user base and fail to improve the features of the competition and make it distinctively unique/stand out.

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I always thought it was hilarious that people would say "we don't need a notification center, we have live tiles!". A proper notification center is way more effective than a square flipping through random information that changes before you can even read it. "Live tiles" are good for information "at a glance", nothing else.

If you hate 'Live tiles', you are using the wrong OS man. Go back to where you came from. I'm not saying Notification center is bad. But saying Live tiles is just a flipping square with random information is like saying notification center is just a pull down page with shortcut buttons. Meh!
Have some more thoughts into the utility of it will ya?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb