Awkward question: Windows 10 for Phones and/or Microsoft Band

BenGutt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,
I have a Lumia 1020, which is my one and only phone.

The technical preview is about to be released for my phone. I can't wait to get in on the action.
HOWEVER, being based in the UK, the Band is being released on the 15th. It's on order and expected to be delivered to me on that date. I can't wait for that either.

Now I've got a decision to make. Do I:-
A. Install the preview and play with it. Then continue to play with it with my new band, risking a poor initial experience with the band.
B. Install the preview and play with it for a few days. Then have the hassle of restoring my phone back to 8.1 and configuring it all back to how it was.
C. Ignore the preview :( and wait for the Band to arrive have a GOOD play with it. Eventually upgrading to the preview at some time in the future.
What do people think?

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Right now there are some issues with the current build and the Band - that said, they were looking to improve on the issues with later builds.
Since we don't have a changelog yet for the new build, I would just assume (to be on the safe side) that the Band still has syncing issues with Win10. I have found myself using my band less and less since I installed the TP, so I would wait - enjoy the band.

Read the changelog that Microsoft is supposed to post with the new build though and see if they make any mention of fixing the issues - there are plenty of people on this site that are running the TP and have a Band, so I'm sure you'll find out by the 15th if the newest build has issues. If it does, stay away; if it doesn't, then load it up!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
If it's your only phone, I'd either wait and see what peoples experiences are with 10, or plan on going with option B since your willing to restore your phone back to 8.1... I have the first build on a spare phone and there are some basic features it is missing that I couldn't live without on my main phone.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I think this is a no-brainer. I would get the Band, play with it, enjoy the great experience; And it will be a great experience. I have the Band with my Lumia Icon (930) and I love it Don't worry about Windows 10 yet. It's a Technical Preview bound to have bugs. Ask this question - would you purchase a new car that hasn't been fully built yet just so you can say you have the newest car on the block? Just be patient, use your new Band and update to W10 at a later date.

Now, as for the Band, I HIGHLY recommend these four apps:
1) Find My Band - can't tell you how many times I've set my band down and forgot where it was.
2) Clear My Band - wipes all prior notifications from the band
3) Band Monitor - great for showing you a lot of information about your band, including the remaining battery percentage
4) Camera Band Control - I've just recently purchased this app and I LOVE it! I was at a friends party the other day and I finally made it into a picture. I set the phone on a stand, got into the group shot with my friends and just pressed the MS Band button and said "Camera, take a picture" A few seconds later the camera snapped and took a great group photo, WITH ME IN IT! Wonderful app. It even counts down if you say "Camera take a picture in 10 seconds."

Enjoy the MS Band! I do!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett