Windows phone 10 Update no Start Screen

Jeff Erson

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Update: After 3 hard reset, I am now able to continue with the installation. Currently stuck at 21% on restoring my data. Its been about 2 hrs but still 21%. I'm patient so I could wait. -__-

Jeff Erson

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Update: After 3 hard reset, I am now able to continue with the installation. Currently stuck at 21% on restoring my data. Its been about 2 hrs but still 21%. I'm patient so I could wait. -__-

After another hard reset, I think its getting progress. Done with the restore and setups. Currently downloading all my apps from restore. So excited! :D

TIP: Keep on resetting (hard) your phone until it gets OK. :)

FranBlagru

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
It's working!
Here's my story:
Yesterday I installed the technical preview and had this issue.
This morning at 10AM I used the Nokia Recovery Tool and installed WP8.1 again and started updating. When I finally update to Windows 10, I had this issue again. I hard reset the phone using the button sequence and selected the default langauge (if that helps) which was Italian in my case (my 920 is an Italy CV). After the process of loading backups and setting up, it works!
Good luck to others having this issue. Don't give up!

Jeff Erson

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
It's working!
Here's my story:
Yesterday I installed the technical preview and had this issue.
This morning at 10AM I used the Nokia Recovery Tool and installed WP8.1 again and started updating. When I finally update to Windows 10, I had this issue again. I hard reset the phone using the button sequence and selected the default langauge (if that helps) which was Italian in my case (my 920 is an Italy CV). After the process of loading backups and setting up, it works!
Good luck to others having this issue. Don't give up!

High five! :cool:

It's working!
I hard reset the phone using the button sequence and selected the default langauge (if that helps) which was Italian in my case (my 920 is an Italy CV).
I don't think the language has to do something with the blank screen issue. I'm not from the US but I used US English language, US as my country and used local time. :smile: I don't know what cause this issue but resetting the phone over and over again did solved the issue.

Good luck to all. Never give up. LOL

DenMag

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Was able to recover with the Lumia Software Recovery Tool. From there the update processed successfully.

In part, I don't know if the initial issue was my fault and not being patient during one of the reboots. It did seem like the phone wasn't restarting so pulled the battery and restarted. That's when I saw the problem. This also was done during lunch, using the restaurant's WiFi and, there may have been a beer or two involved at that time.

Recovery tool does take awhile too but, luckily I have apps and pictures stored on the SD card for this L635. There are some Band related apps I needed to reinstall as they won't go to the SD card.

lSsantos

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
After Hard reseting, mine show only a few apps on the app list, no start screen and settings. I think it has something to do with the language (Portuguese - BR), I did the hard reset trick. Waiting to see what happens.

thebinksta

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
After another hard reset, I think its getting progress. Done with the restore and setups. Currently downloading all my apps from restore. So excited! :D

TIP: Keep on resetting (hard) your phone until it gets OK. :)

Same thing has happened to me I have tried hard reset at least 10 times. Should I continue or try something new?

Jeff Erson

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Same thing has happened to me I have tried hard reset at least 10 times. Should I continue or try something new?

If hard reset don't work, try reverting to 8.1 first thru Recovery tool, then get back to Insider for Windows 10 update.

Or, revert to 8.1 and wait for the official release of 10. Or at least wait for a more stable build. 😊 Good luck!

lSsantos

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, be carefull with the Recovery Tool. My Lumia just get bricked, I was trying to revert to 8.1 and then my phone did not turn on again. Going to cemitery... :grincry::grincry:

cliveontoast

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I've had this problem with my Lumia 820 as well. from the lock screen, swiping up shows a black screen with the SIM, battery only. The volumn rocker works and that's about it.

Thanks for the tips to hard reset the phone. The first time it didn't work and showed the black screen again. The second time it did and I could set up the phone again. I chose to not choose a previous phone setup, suspecting the problem was because it was an 'upgrade' with all my junk there.

Yogendra1911

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
have got the same issue on my L1020. And I have also got the solution without hard reset to get start screen, if not for all at least it works for me all the time so give it a try.

1. Remove lock passcode if you have any [it will help on step 3] from action center setting option.
2. Do soft reset [power + vol down]
3. After Windows screen you ll have lock screen. Quickly turn on Flight Mode.
So in this step your time and date will be reset and thats what we are trying to achieve. For me it resets on 10th of May 12:45 PM.
4. Once you have flight mode on swipe the lock screen up to have start screen.
You ll have black screen with loading, wait for a few seconds. Press power button twice wait for a few secs on lock screen. go to start screen, it will now have black screen without loading. If you have that just wait start screen will appear. if not press power again and open again.

Make sure you quickly turn the flight mode on before the time updates automatically. If time is updated its not working for me.
After this my glance also started working.

This method works for me every time. However this will not prevent from further loading/resuming start screens.
Let me know if this works for anyone else.

Nariman Aga-Tagiyev

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,
I had the same problem on my Lumia 1020 and fixed it by soft resetting phone.
I found out that when I hard restart phone by pressing VolDown+Power key combination I can see Start screen for a while, then it is being lost and I can only see black screen with text "loading...".
Right after hard restarting with VolDown+Power I entered Settings -> System -> About -> Reset my phone.
This will reset to clean factory installation of Windows 10 Mobile Review OS.
During clean phone setup there will be two options : install clean os or install from your old backup. I choosed to install clean os.
Installation completed successfully and I could reinstall all my applications from scratch without problem.
Nariman

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
After the initial update to 10, I was missing some key pins on the start so I did a reset from the About setting and started from scratch. Soon after, the loading/black screen reared it's head. So, I decided to do the recommended hard reset with up/down/power/down, and restored from backup. Now, the loading/black screen is no more. Still a tad laggy for start screen, but nowhere as terrible as having to see loading for minutes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss