Windows 10 TP review on Lumia 1520 after 3 hours of use

Hamza Waseem

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone. Against my better judgment I decided.to give the technical preview a shot. I wanted to get GDR2, but instead I got the whole Windows 10. So here's my review after using it for 3 hours, as I'm currently reverting back to 8.1.1

Interface

I'll be honest here, the interface was a huge breadth of fresh air for my 1520. It sort of made the phone alive. I don't know what did they do, but every element in the UI seemed to shine. I'll credit the new start screen for that. It outclassed the old see-through tiles by a long way. Of course, there are jitters, scaling issues and some inconsistency, but by and large, the OS shined on my 1080p display, in a way that WP 8.1 never did. They just need to make it more consistent in all dimensions.

New Apps

The new apps, chiefly, Spartan, Outlook Mail and Calender, Calculator, messaging etc were overall very welcome. As I said earlier, they are all very fresh looking, baring the not very frequent UI inconsistencies. Calender lacks week or month view, and is somewhat confusing to use, but that can be rectified. I love the new Mail and the File Explorer. The Photos app, needs a lot of work, and is quite unsable. Project Spartan, true to It's name, is fantastic. It superbly beats IE in rendering speed and accuracy . It's gonna be the star of the show when W10 launches.

Overall Use and Some main flaws

It's smooth, but also slippery. That's how I'll describe it. The settings area is the worst. A confusing mix of old, new and what. Being used to a perfect experience on 8.1.1 + Denim, you definitely dont want this on your primary phone, especially if you want it to be flawless. The keyboard needs work too, although its just scaling. Voice dictation is good. Battery drain is also significant, and you'll get maybe 6 hours on moderate use. The phone also,heats up if you're switching apps constantly. The multitasking is a hit and miss. You either love or hate how the app pages bobble out, and the fact that sliding the app down only suspends it, is frustrating, especially since the cross to close the app is tiny.

That said, if you're in the mood for new software, and want to be part of the future, no reason at all,you wouldn't want this on you're phone, just be prepared for a less than perfect experience.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone. Against my better judgment I decided.to give the technical preview a shot. I wanted to get GDR2, but instead I got the whole Windows 10. So here's my review after using it for 3 hours, as I'm currently reverting back to 8.1.1

Interface

I'll be honest here, the interface was a huge breadth of fresh air for my 1520. It sort of made the phone alive. I don't know what did they do, but every element in the UI seemed to shine. I'll credit the new start screen for that. It outclassed the old see-through tiles by a long way. Of course, there are jitters, scaling issues and some inconsistency, but by and large, the OS shined on my 1080p display, in a way that WP 8.1 never did. They just need to make it more consistent in all dimensions.

New Apps

The new apps, chiefly, Spartan, Outlook Mail and Calender, Calculator, messaging etc were overall very welcome. As I said earlier, they are all very fresh looking, baring the not very frequent UI inconsistencies. Calender lacks week or month view, and is somewhat confusing to use, but that can be rectified. I love the new Mail and the File Explorer. The Photos app, needs a lot of work, and is quite unsable. Project Spartan, true to It's name, is fantastic. It superbly beats IE in rendering speed and accuracy . It's gonna be the star of the show when W10 launches.

Overall Use and Some main flaws

It's smooth, but also slippery. That's how I'll describe it. The settings area is the worst. A confusing mix of old, new and what. Being used to a perfect experience on 8.1.1 + Denim, you definitely dont want this on your primary phone, especially if you want it to be flawless. The keyboard needs work too, although its just scaling. Voice dictation is good. Battery drain is also significant, and you'll get maybe 6 hours on moderate use. The phone also,heats up if you're switching apps constantly. The multitasking is a hit and miss. You either love or hate how the app pages bobble out, and the fact that sliding the app down only suspends it, is frustrating, especially since the cross to close the app is tiny.

That said, if you're in the mood for new software, and want to be part of the future, no reason at all,you wouldn't want this on you're phone, just be prepared for a less than perfect experience.

bottomline BuGGy ;) good day

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for this. I get tired of hearing nothing but negativity from commenters. I understand criticism is important, but this is alpha software and the warnings make it very clear. I can also understand not liking design changes, but let's be honest, did the "wonderful design" of WP7 or 8.1 earn a lot of customers? No, it didn't.

Benny Vallejo

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I just installed the W10 Preview on my 1520 and now i don't have a connection. It shows I'm connected through WiFi and when i make a call it goes through, but when i try and check for updates, try a social media app or try visiting a website, it keeps showing not connected. Is there anything i can do. My phone also doesn't connect via USB 3.0 for some reason. It only connect through a USB 2.0. I don't have a laptop with 2.0 right now so i can revert back to WP8.1. Any suggestions?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99