Outlook - New Mail Client - Does anyone like at this stage?

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I suppose that would be an ok compromise. Have them all in one unified folder structure for people that like to scroll back through a folder list to inbox. While allowing you to pin a specific inbox to Start so people who like the current way can always get to new mail with just one press.

The option to split to tiles is definitely better. Myself, I like the way Outlook is forming into a single system, with the Calendar accessible in the same place you choose different inboxes. If anything, I'd like more integration there: a single Outlook Live Tile rotating between Calendar's date and appointments and Mail's message count and latest message header.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I miss Unread view. They have to bring that back. But like having full editing.
That would be good.
I assume Cortana has some pretty good integration with an indexing service. I'd like to see the Outlook client be able to leverage that/its own index too - and let me have my beloved Search Folders. I might head off and see if the Accompli boys had it on iOS/Android.

titanrb

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't even open attachments on my lumia 925.... almost every time I tried to open a pdf file the phone rebooted.... so I rolled back to 8.1.... hope they fix it.

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
For me Outlook should be optional app and MS should not take away the already awesome built-in mail app. MS should learn from previous mistakes and do not force Outlook to its loyal WP fans' throat or lungs.

MS biggest problem now is that Windows 8.1 phone is growing to its users. I personally like it and update 2 could make it the XP version of the Windows Phone so Windows 10 should not be so drastic that it alienates users just like Windows 8 did.

I hope MS gets Windows 10 mobile right the first time.

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
At present, on first launch it takes me to the Inbox of the first (alphabetically) configured account. Which for me is an annoyance, as it's one of my other accounts I want to be the "default". On subsequent launches i.e. without having closed the app or rebooted the phone, it seems to remember which Inbox I was in and goes there.

On a "fresh launch" (as opposed to a "resume"), it takes me to my Gmail account, which isn't the first alphabetically (Comcast, Gmail, Outlook), nor is it the first one I added (that would be Outlook, Gmail, Comcast). I can't think of any reason why it would pick my Gmail account - especially given the mutual lack of love between Google & MS :)

However, it looks like the plan for W10 is to make "fresh launches" rare - unless you explicitly close an app (long-press on the back button, close its page in the Task Switcher) then every subsequent launch of it will be a "resume." (I haven't decided if I like this yet, but I'm leaning towards "no.")

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
No universal inbox any more. :(

I've got 5 accounts. No way I'm going to flip through them individually. I don't have the Win10 desktop OS. Is the new Outlook Mail the same there?

No. That's gone in this release.
I think universal inbox is still there

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
The option to split to tiles is definitely better. Myself, I like the way Outlook is forming into a single system, with the Calendar accessible in the same place you choose different inboxes. If anything, I'd like more integration there: a single Outlook Live Tile rotating between Calendar's date and appointments and Mail's message count and latest message header.

I think I would still prefer the current separate tiles where Calendar is its own and shows upcoming appointments, while email is its own and shows newest mail.
Or if it could be one of the new larger tiles and show multiple items simultaneously.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
For me Outlook should be optional app and MS should not take away the already awesome built-in mail app. MS should learn from previous mistakes and do not force Outlook to its loyal WP fans' throat or lungs.

MS biggest problem now is that Windows 8.1 phone is growing to its users. I personally like it and update 2 could make it the XP version of the Windows Phone so Windows 10 should not be so drastic that it alienates users just like Windows 8 did.

I hope MS gets Windows 10 mobile right the first time.

I agree, it would be nice if they just enhanced the current mail & calendar apps, then let the new Outlook app be separate.
They just made the Calendar really great with those "pop-open" views.

fueledbygin

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I think virtually anything is better than the incredibly simple mail app in Windows Phone 8/8.1, and I assume the missing features (no live tile, no notifications, etc, are coming).

I really don't get the "awesome" adjectives when used with 8/8.1 mail/messenger (and, to a lesser extent, calendar). Their aesthetics are basically out of the early 2000s, without any of the design philosophies of virtually any of the popular web apps for the popular mail services, or the popular mail apps on ios and android. I mean, I get the allure of wanting to be different as a response to our chosen platform being so behind the others, but it's not a stance I'll ever support. I'm beyond ecstatic that Windows Phone 10 appears to be trying to actually join the modern era.

I reverted to 8.1 because I need the email notifications, and don't have a secondary phone to run Windows 10 on, but I'm fairly confident/happy in the direction they're taking mail in Windows 10 (as well as messages and calendar).

Last edited:

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Guys,

I have a concern,

In current Winphn 8.1 , In new email you can only attach image as an attachment while replying to any email as the attachment button taken you to the photos gallary.

I would like to know is their any provision of attaching pdf, work or other files in WinPhn 10.

Do let me know if you find something.

I couldn't attach any file using the preview app. This should be fixed on the next update.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't attach any file using the preview app. This should be fixed on the next update.

Originally Posted by i_Neel Guys,
I have a concern,
In current Winphn 8.1 , In new email you can only attach image as an attachment while replying to any email as the attachment button taken you to the photos gallary.
I would like to know is their any provision of attaching pdf, work or other files in WinPhn 10.
Do let me know if you find something.

Guys, I think you should read this thread posted by me. All the details are there in the first post itself.
Windows Phone 10 - Installation, troubleshooting and features

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs