Guide: How to install W10M Insider Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assassin 11B3P

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Can someone tell me what the current (as of April 20), build of WP 10 TP is? I keep hearing about a possibly different version than what I am seeing on my phone (10.0.12534.56). I have run the Windows Insider multiple times, set to Insider Fast, but then that's it. I seem to be on WP 10 TP, but maybe on a different version. I have a Nokia 822.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Edit : Version 10052 was released 2 hours back.

Thanks Hotphil. It was a typo from me.
Sent from Lumia 1520 via Taptalk

Last edited:

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I thought it was 10052 today?
Either way, its not the Insider app thr OP needs to use to get the update - use the normal Check for Updates function once Insider has set the phone for Fast/Slow ring.

Assassin 11B3P

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks- looks like it's finally installing! :)

UPDATE: Or not...seems I only have 10.0.12534.59 now after the update. What the h3ll?

Last edited:

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Just adding the battery life screen shot after update to build 10052.
Sent from Lumia 1020 on WP10 using Taptalk

Attachments

• wp_ss_20150423_0001-thumb.png
    wp_ss_20150423_0001-thumb.png
    107.3 KB · Views: 23

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Quick question: Is it possible to run Win10 for phones in a phone without a SIM card, i.e. WiFi only? I've got a Lumia 925 with a cracked screen. I've replaced it with my new phone (Lumia 830 - happy with it), and don't want to spend the money on a new screen. I thought I'd test Win10 on it, but I'm not sure if it will work without a SIM card.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Quick question: Is it possible to run Win10 for phones in a phone without a SIM card, i.e. WiFi only? I've got a Lumia 925 with a cracked screen. I've replaced it with my new phone (Lumia 830 - happy with it), and don't want to spend the money on a new screen. I thought I'd test Win10 on it, but I'm not sure if it will work without a SIM card.
Why not? If it fails, you can always roll it back anyway

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you can. I was running it an 822 without a sim card. I ended rolling it back to 8.1 because it was just too flaky. I'm going to try again when the next release hits.

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys, I got it updated last night. Not too sure about it yet though. I can't seem to get the background image. It makes the transparent tiles just like in Windows Phone 8.1. Going to scourge the other topics in this forum to see if there are answers.

Aswin Rajan

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
N just to add for those users that use Airwatch or other MDM tools that wont work on 10, i'd say configure that on 8.1 before upgrading.
My corporate email runs on exchange, and can only be configured by MDM (airwatch in this case) - and manual configuration will result in the device getting blocked on server side.. And since this was my primary phone, not having my office mail was not an option..
Also - i changed my settings to my default region / language etc before upgrade - and wasnt able to get cortana bak after upgrade..

So the steps that worked for me was
> Hard Reset (i always have data baked up)
> install insider, MDM (try not to install many apps)
> subscribe to insider fast ring (i enabled Developer Preview just in case - wud assume this is not needed)
> (i also had my settings (language / speech / keyboard etc) changed to US to enable Cortana - you may choose to leave it to those that your phone came with (that is what is recommended by MS for this build) (update: i still havent gotten cortana working properly)
> i also unpinned all apps from my start menu before updating to Win 10 (saw a lot of the start screen issues, and thought i'd give it a clean state), some folks complained about start menu folders causing issues etc.. (all of this should be handled due to the initi hard reset)
> install updates - u may move to GDR2 before u get win 10 ( u'll know yr on GDR2 wen u see yr settings have a blue heading of sections) , if u dont see updates open insider, again verify on fast track it can take a few mins to show an update
> one you're on Win 10 (do not hard reset - else u'll loose MDM config) - my 930 works fine without a hard reset.
since i'd unpinned all apps, init i didnt get a start screen - i pinned an app, and restarted my phone to see the start..
> use store beta to install the office previews and other universal apps
my 930 had certain areas all blank- esp in settings .. eg. add speech / language.. lock screen etc.. later did i realize they are actually present, but the black theme hid them.. switching to the light theme solved that..

Last edited:

buffalosolja

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Can someone assist me please. I want to install this on my 920 but whenever I go to insider app it just resets. I have tried rebooting, resetting, and the windows phone tool doesn't work for some reason.. It can see my device and download but whenever it is time for image update it fails (multiple pcs). Any assistance would be great after I test on my 920 I will more than likely place on my 1520..

Aswin Rajan

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
did you try both microsoft recovery and lumia recovery (nokia)? also try changin yr region / language etc
and have u done a hard reset on the 920?

Bron Barry

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
Great post OP.

I have the 1520 AT&T. I paid for the developer preview a while back but when I try to use the insider app I have no luck. I also see that maybe AT&T users are ineligible? Do you think I should be able to install using your original instructions? I don't remember having to do a factory reset before to get 8.1.

thanks in advance.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
When doing these hard resets, are you doing them using the buttons on the phone (Volume Up, volume down, Power, volume down)or from the phone menu (Settings>About>reset your phone) ?

Does it make any difference which way ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb