Guide: How to install W10M Insider Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
How to install Windows Phone 10 Technical Preview

I have been reading on the forums about people having issues with installation of Windows Phone 10 Technical Preview.

I have installed it on my Lumia 1020 and its working perfectly (with minor bugs). In fact, i am now posting from the same phone.

So here is what I did.

I was on Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 before the WP10 update.

1) Back up all the data and pictures on the phone
2) Hard reset the phone (For a beta OS its better to start from a clean phone)
3) After hard reset, DO NOT restore from backup. Set up as new phone.
3) Download Windows Insider App
4) Select fast ring and complete all steps until the phone reboots
5) Check for updates in Settings>Phone Updates
6) Download and install update for Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2
7) Again check for updates in Settings>Phone Updates
8) Download and install Windows phone 10 Technical Preview
9) Very important : Hard reset the phone
10) Now install all the apps that you need, from the store.

From here, your phone should work with minimum bugs and better performance

Some tips:

1) Microsoft camera does not work. Download Lumia Camera or Proshot from store
2) Pictures taken might not show in the pictures hub. You can use File explorer that's included in the OS to go to pictures folder to view your pictures and screen shots.

Hope this helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to revert back to Windows Phone 8.1

Edit : The Windows Phone 10 Technical Preview has been working perfectly for me, only with minor bugs
1) Battery life is not predictable at times
2) You tube video cannot play yet from internet explorer

However it might not be the same experience for everyone. Some of us would like to revert back to Windows Phone 8.1. So here is the guide to revert back to Windows Phone 8.1.

Always remember
After you start the recovery process, do bot disconnect your phone from the computer until whole process is finished.

Always plug your computer into the power source so that it does not go to standby mode.

Steps for recovery process
1.Download and install Windows Phone Recovery Tool to your computer. If possible, make sure that your phone's battery is fully charged.
2.When the installation has finished, start the application and the main screen will appear:
WPRT_450x243.jpg

1)If your phone is not automatically detected, disconnect all phones from your computer and press My phone was not detected at the bottom of the main screen.

2)If prompted, select the phone manufacturer.

3)Connect your phone to your computer with a compatible USB cable.

4)Wait for your computer to detect the connected phone and follow the screen instructions. If the phone is not connected within one minute you can try to restart your phone: Keep USB connected, press and hold the Power and Volume down keys simultaneously. Release the pressed keys when phone vibrates.

5) Press Install software to start installing the software to your phone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Screen shots of Performance, Bugs and Solutions
Edit: Added Some screen shots for Home screen with background picture, App list with recently added apps (its a neat feature) and new file explorer

wp_ss_20150412_0004.jpg
wp_ss_20150412_0005.jpg
wp_ss_20150412_0006.png

Edit : The voice dictation button (Microphone icon) is visible along with the keyboard.
wp_ss_20150415_0017.png

Edit : If you feel that the text in the settings screen is smaller, then this can help you.
Go to Settings>Ease of access>Ease of access
Over here you can increase the text size and the size of the text in settings menu also increases.
wp_ss_20150414_0004.png

Edit : The battery saver timing displayed in setting is wrong. At full charge it showed 2 hours and 38 minutes left but I have used the phone for 9 hours and still 42% battery is left. Now it shows 1 hour and 58 minutes left but actually it can go for nearly another 6 to 8 hours.

So total usage on single charge is 17 hours but the battery saver only shows around 5 hours
wp_ss_20150414_0002.png

Edit : For those who have issue with Weather app not running properly, you can do the following.
1) Uninstall the weather app
2) Reinstall the weather app. Now it will be installed as "Bing Weather App"
3) Then run the "Bing Weather App" and it will ask you to update the app.
4) Select update and the latest version of weather will be installed.
It should work perfectly from there. Below are the screenshots.
wp_ss_20150415_0009.png
wp_ss_20150415_0010.png
wp_ss_20150415_0011.png
wp_ss_20150415_0012.png
wp_ss_20150415_0013.jpg

Edit : We can attach different types of files to the new outlook email. Below are the screen shot, where I am attaching a photo and pdf to the same email.
wp_ss_20150417_0005.png

Edit : Dialer working perfectly to search the phone numbers keyed in and also displays the contact picture during the call.
wp_ss_20150417_0008.pngwp_ss_20150417_0009.png

Sent from Lumia 1020 on WP 10 TP using Taptalk

Last edited:

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I have been reading on the forums about people having issues with installation of Windows Phone 10 Technical Preview.

I have installed it on my Lumia 1020 and its working perfectly (with minor bugs). In fact, i am now posting from the same phone.

So here is what I did.

Some tips:

2) Pictures taken might not show in the pictures hub. You can use File explorer that's included in the OS to go to pictures folder to view your pictures and screen shots.

Hope this helps.

very useful but i tell you . users have already got enough of this update not many are going to go for it hereafter. ;) good day

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site

So here is what I did.

Some tips:

Hope this helps.

Great article and I think your right on to start out with a clean slate from the beginning, please keep us posted on the performance of your phone.
Thanks.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Update : Battery life on my Lumia 1020

The battery saver timing displayed in setting is wrong. At full charge it showed 2 hours and 38 minutes left but I have used the phone for 9 hours and still 42% battery is left. Now it shows 1 hour and 58 minutes left but actually it can go for nearly another 6 to 8 hours.

So total usage on single charge is 17 hours but the battery saver only shows around 5 hours.

Now very happy with the battery performance.
Sent from Lumia 1020 on WP10 using Taptalk

Attachments

• wp_ss_20150414_0002-thumb.png
    wp_ss_20150414_0002-thumb.png
    100.8 KB · Views: 34

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
If you feel that the text in the settings screen is smaller, then this can help you.

Go to Settings>Ease of access>Ease of access
Over here you can increase the text size and the size of the text in settings menu also increases.

Hope this helps.
Sent from Lumia 1020 on WP10 using Taptalk

Attachments

• wp_ss_20150414_0004.png
    wp_ss_20150414_0004.png
    112.2 KB · Views: 31
  • wp_ss_20150414_0003.png
    wp_ss_20150414_0003.png
    127.3 KB · Views: 31

supadryz

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Nice guide, i am having issues installing the update on either my Lumia 930 or my back up phone 820. & there is no way I am doing a hard reset on my 930 due to game saves being deleted as no separate memory card.

But I will try & hard reset my 820 & see if this works.

mnsiw

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I tried WP10 on Lumia 535 two days back but due to data issue downgraded to WP8.1, after reading your post I'm going to try once more, I have no other issue except data.

API_Rock

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I am not able to install windows 10 what could be the problem

so far i have done:-

1. was getting update error so reset the phone
2. I was getting the error again so used nokia recovery tool
3. Then checked got update 8.1 update 2
4. Now installed insider app launched used both fast & slow device gets reboot, i click on check update but it says my phone is up to date
5. I change region but no luck :(
6. Again reset the phone now got the update it took 5-10 min I can see msg insider fast update is running, I can seed two gears going on completed
7. my phone rebooted but what ? it is still 8.1
8. Again I reseted the phone but with no luck
9. I reinstalled the insider app in phone memory but no luck :(

Please help.

Using Lumia 520

svaethier

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site

4. Now installed insider app launched used both fast & slow device gets reboot, i click on check update but it says my phone is up to date
6. Again reset the phone now got the update it took 5-10 min I can see msg insider fast update is running, I can seed two gears going on completed

Please help.

Using Lumia 520
Go to insider app, click on fast and go through the steps again, next install should be win10

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

Please help.

Using Lumia 520

Since you say that you are on WP8.1, its still ok.
First step is to remove your SD card and also remove your sim card.
Then follow my guide posted above. WP10 is will be installed on your phone.

However, just a disclaimer for you. If you do not have the technical knowledge to troubleshoot any issues, its better to not install technical preview. Wait for Microsoft to release the update for the slow ring.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Nice guide, i am having issues installing the update on either my Lumia 930 or my back up phone 820. & there is no way I am doing a hard reset on my 930 due to game saves being deleted as no separate memory card.

If L930 is you main phone with the game data, then don't install on it. If you want to try out WP10, then install on your back up phone.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

The 930 is excluded from this round of Tech Preview. Good luck with the 820.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
For those who have issue with Weather app not running properly, you can do the following.
1) Uninstall the weather app
2) Reinstall the weather app. Now it will be installed as "Bing Weather App"
3) Then run the "Bing Weather App" and it will ask you to update the app.
4) Select update and the latest version of weather will be installed.
It should work perfectly from there. Below are the screenshots.
wp_ss_20150415_0013.jpg
wp_ss_20150415_0009.png
wp_ss_20150415_0010.png
wp_ss_20150415_0011.png
wp_ss_20150415_0012.png

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
For those who are asking about attaching different types of email to the new outlook, below is the screenshot. Here I am attaching a photo and a pdf file to the email.
wp_ss_20150417_0005.png

Arlan Henry

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
How does one postpone the installation of Windows Phone 10? I am already using 8.1 update 2 and now I'm faced with the ultimatum of having Windows Phone 10 being automatically installed at 3 am on April 21st (tomorrow).

Any tips?

wp_ss_20150417_0002.jpg

Last edited:

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
You can't. Do a backup and a factory reset. You will stay at update 2 but move off the fast ring and never get prompted for Windows 10 again till you activate insiders app again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster