Guide: How to install W10M Insider Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Sure, you can still have them. If you let the install restore your apps they will be downloaded or you can install them yourself. However, take a look at the new Microsoft Maps, it can replace Here Maps, Here Drive and Here Transit. So far I'm keeping those on too just in case, but I do like Maps quite a lot.

That's great - thanks, mhc48.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
having trouble with SMS,and data connection on Lumia 625H(RM 943)
This issues never cleared since the second build

any idea? now I can't find a place to flip the data connection on. the setting just blank

JainPrateek

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Please redirect if this is not the right thread.
I tried to upgrade my Lumia 920 to Windows 10 tech preview but my phone bricked.
It comes to the spinning gears screen, stays there for sometime and then turns off. If the phone is on battery, that's where this stops. However, if it is on charge, the process repeats in a loop. Spinning gears -> off -> spinning gears -> ..

I tried the recovery tool by Microsoft, but it does not recognize the device. Has anyone faced this problem or has any suggestions?

Thanks.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Please redirect if this is not the right thread.
I tried to upgrade my Lumia 920 to Windows 10 tech preview but my phone bricked.
It comes to the spinning gears screen, stays there for sometime and then turns off. If the phone is on battery, that's where this stops. However, if it is on charge, the process repeats in a loop. Spinning gears -> off -> spinning gears -> ..

I tried the recovery tool by Microsoft, but it does not recognize the device. Has anyone faced this problem or has any suggestions?

Thanks.

Try LUMIA recovery tools. Not Windows phone recovery tools

lewiedude

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
The rest work flawlessly,
What I was did on my Lumia are,
- I run on WP10 TP10080 and I back up All contact, message, and Apps setting, then disable the PIN on lock screen
- I downgrade to 8.1 and do not restore My backup, so it's a clean install
- then I install Windows insider and update using slow ring to get WP 10 TP10149 (because some of bugs in TP 10149 in fast ring already solved in the slow ring build), don't forget to restore the backup ��
- then the last thing update using fast ring to WP10 TP10166
- just be patient during update, do not wait, just let your phone alone for about 40-50 minutes during and after update, (I even can t take a bath and go outside to buy some goods in mart hahaha)
- after TP10166 installed do factory reset, go to setting, about, then reset the phone
- after that enjoy the new TP, I am now using it for daily driver, really awesome ��

How long did the steps above take? Is like a 30 minute process or a 2 hour process?

And, do I have to install 8.1 and then let it install additional versions of 8.1? As a fast ring WI, is there a setting where it can install W10?

Last edited:

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know weather the previe for Windows 10 is on Lumia 930 yet?

Running Windows 10 Tech Preview on my 930 for a month or so. Download Windows Insider app and choose fast or slow ring. Slow ring is actually up to date with build 10166. Be sure you're comfortable with using the Recovery Tool in case something goes wrong so you can roll back to 8.1 if needed.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been using it on my 930 too. It's mostly stable and usable. I've had a few small problems that required a shut down and restart and one soft reset. Nothing that was a deal breaker, but then with the changes and no "Hey Cortana" on the latest build, nothing to really make you rush ahead and use it either, unless driven by technolust to know what it's like. Once or twice using Maps (which does the functions of Here Maps and Here Transit as well as Here Maps) got me lost. Groove Music and Photos are okay and camera is about the same as the old Lumia Camera app. The one thing I don't like is the way the integrated mailbox works, and having to change inside the app between accounts to see different e-mails. Although no Here Cortana, integration of Cortana, Bing and Maps was very useful when I visited a city I had never been to before (other than the two times it got me lost).

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Just got it installed and running... have a couple of questions:

how to set up a linked inbox with other non Microsoft accounts (google, yahoo and my work) like I had in win 8.1?

and how to have groove music see my music folders ion onedrive? I don't have music locally on the device anymore after migrating everything to onedrive. thanks.

Also, lots of my apps are missing and wont install from the new store. The option to reinstall from the website purchase history (windowsphone.com) does not work in win10. I need 627am (paid version) to be reinstalled!

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: Email...when you open Outlook Mail you will see a "+" to add other accounts. I've added yahoo with no problem. It's not linked in the way that 8.1 is though. You don't see all of your mail on 1 page. Have to use a menu and go back and forth to access different accounts. Hopefully this will change before RTM.
Re: Music...I don't use it much so not sure.
Re: App installs...it takes awhile. Lots of stuff goes on in the background for quite some time without any visual cues. Try soft resetting and see if that helps give the store a kick start.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
how to set up a linked inbox with other non Microsoft accounts (google, yahoo and my work) like I had in win 8.1?
I just loaded WP10 today as well. My emails are all on the phone, but the inboxes are individually selectable, I'd also like to see how to set up a linked inbox for all my accounts.
Also, lots of my apps are missing...
I also have some missing files. I had MS Office on my WP8.1, but am surprised not to find it on WP10. Is it hiding somewhere?

There are other challenges, mostly just finding how to make adjustments as needed.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I just loaded WP10 today as well. My emails are all on the phone, but the inboxes are individually selectable, I'd also like to see how to set up a linked inbox for all my accounts.

I also have some missing files. I had MS Office on my WP8.1, but am surprised not to find it on WP10. Is it hiding somewhere?

There are other challenges, mostly just finding how to make adjustments as needed.
As I said earlier...at this point you can't show all of your accounts together in build 10166. Hoping that changes.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Sure, you can still have them. If you let the install restore your apps they will be downloaded or you can install them yourself. However, take a look at the new Microsoft Maps, it can replace Here Maps, Here Drive and Here Transit. So far I'm keeping those on too just in case, but I do like Maps quite a lot.
I've kept mine as well. I've tried Microsoft Maps a little, it seems fine. I wish there was a way to customize it a little, I used Here Drive with another language for the verbal navigation, no obvious way to make that happen with Microsoft Maps.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
How to install Windows Phone 10 Technical Preview

9) Very important : Hard reset the phone
10) Now install all the apps that you need, from the store.

Couple of things I would need clarification on.

After step 9 can you restore from backup for apps and settings or should I use store and get it one by one?

I got the update 2 on my 1020 using the Insider loophole which I guess is fixed now! If I get into the insiders now and did a recovery for some reason I would go back to 8.1 Update right? or is there a possibility to get update 2?

cheers
S

gaumzi

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Is there any other way of installing the preview. As my download always stops at 80%

Any other way. I have a developer account, if it helps. I just need any other. I tried downloading the preview for around 8 since 2 days and it always stops between 70% to 80%...

HELP HELP HELP :cry::cry::cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)