Guide: How to install W10M Insider Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Please help me I've been running insider stuck on 10149, have tried and tried to install 10166, get error message 8007000e. Don't have much room on phone, have moved everything to sd card that is possible. Unable to download or run Windows phone troubleshooter. On windows phone denim before insider installs. Have 1.8 GB free, on phone. What do I do to get to 10166?

Jonnny4

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I would like to try your method on my HTC One m8 but I do need to know if I setup the device like a new phone instead of restoring a backup will my text messages restore?

Queen Kong1

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Help anyone know how to stop it downloading?..i downloaded like %10 stopped it uninstalled the App....but its still trying to download a build... id rather keep 8.1 for now. thanks

horschti

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

how long does the installation of WM10 preview usually take?
I followed the instructions and the installation process finally works (before I always got teh strange 0x80070020 error code).
The installation bar is at 100% for like 10 minutes. I used the "insider slow" option in the app.
Is that normal? How long should I wait before I can consider the phone crashed?

/E: Forget about it. It just finished and is now migrating data. Whatever there is to migrate on a freshly reset phone. :)

Last edited:

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Still using that sticky for installation?

Are we still using this sticky to get Win10 preview installed? I know that changes happen all the time with this kind of thing and I want to make sure that it's still common practice to hard reset first, then start as a new phone, then Windows Insider, etc etc etc or is there another order of operations?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Still using that sticky for installation?

Technically, to get the best results you want to hard reset after installing Win10 and not restore from backup. Start fresh

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Doing a hard reset in 8.1 will give a fresh 8.1 experience, and I already had that, 640 came with the update 2, so no purpose.

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

I'd only hard reset before installing Insider Preview if you have a lot of apps installed. Migration takes longer, and it seems there's a higher chance something will go wrong in the process.

Far more useful to hard reset after installation of W10.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I'd only hard reset before installing Insider Preview if you have a lot of apps installed. Migration takes longer, and it seems there's a higher chance something will go wrong in the process.

Far more useful to hard reset after installation of W10.
I'm going to be annoying now... How many apps is a lot?
Also... I'm guessing that the idea is to never restore your apps in Win10 tech preview? You HAVE to install them one by one again to not have problems?

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It's both the number of apps that matter and how much data and configurational data they've collectively stored. You can have only three apps, but if each of them manages half a GB of data than I'd very much prefer a hard reset to begin with. Storage Sense can give you an idea of both.

If you're only going to do one hard reset, do it after updating. There's usually no reason to limit yourself to that though, so I'd recommend doing both as suggested.

Also... I'm guessing that the idea is to never restore your apps in Win10 tech preview? You HAVE to install them one by one again to not have problems?

You don't have to. Everything/Anything you do with the insider preview you do at your own risk. Doing so is just the only way to ensure you'll get the best possible experience (considering its still under construction). You can ignore it and might be lucky to not suffer any negative consequences, you might not be.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
It's both the number of apps that matter and how much data....You can ignore it and might be lucky to not suffer any negative consequences, you might not be.
Ok, good to know and makes sense. I guess if you're going to hard reset anyway later why not do it one more time. What's the proper way to hard reset, by the way because the last time I thought I had done it it turns out I didn't do it the "correct" way because I only used a button combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99