How to Stop Notification of Win10 Preview Update?

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I have an AT&T 1520, and had read about the possibility of acquiring the 8.1 update GDR2 through the Windows 10 technical preview. In the Phone Update settings I unchecked the 'auto download' option, then went to Windows Insider and chose the fast track. Alas, there was no GDR2, just the Windows 10.

I don't want to download and install the technical preview, but the phone is always notifying me now that the update to 10 is available, and I'm wondering how to stop the update notification, and whether the current condition might actually prevent any non-10 updates from reaching my phone. I do use the technical preview for my PC.

Any pointers appreciated.

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
and after a hard reset, make sure all kind connections to internet are off then disable automatic download of updates and then after you may connect to the internet. gl

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Hard Reset isn't really an option for me right now. Is there any other way to accomplish this? I did the same thing hoping for GDR2.

Can't install the 10TP because I need the Office Apps and can't give them up right now. Soft reset doesn't work. Uninstalling Windows Insider didn't work.

I would HATE to have to do the hard reset. I don't even have the option until I can get on Wi-Fi again, which won't be for 2 weeks. (I have to travel a long distance to get access to Wi-Fi.)

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
If a hard reset is the only way to get rid of the notification then I might as well install the technical preview, look it over for a while, and then use the Nokia Recovery Tool to start 8.1 all over again. My only concern about doing nothing is how this might impact getting the final W10, if this preview is stuck in the queue?

drtek

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Choose the Slow Ring. I did that, and got an upgrade. And also a message saying that when a Windows 10 build was available that it would download. It isn't update 2, but Denim?

SagarSadbhaiya

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I'll say keep it as is.. in phone update settings un-check both the options & it will stop auto download but yes you'll see the notifications only when u restart the phone. I do the same on my L830 installed update 2 bt i didn't install W10 TP

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Fixed the "notification" issue for it. Simple really, don't know why I didn't think of it earlier.

In Settings, go to Notifications+Actions. Scroll down to "extras+info", and turn off showing it in action center. Bingo. Does the trick.

I was getting the notification every hour or so, all day long. Sometimes it would pop up in the middle of a game and mess things up for me, so I had to get it stopped.

Hard reset isn't an option right now, because the hard reset would force me to lose Lumia Storage Check Beta, and without that, I can't store the maps on the SD card. I have over 5GB of maps, and they won't fit on a 635 without putting them on the SD card.

I thought I'd post again for others that need to turn off the notice. Also, for people that have the maps on SD card, you won't be able to put them back on the storage card after a hard reset. Microsoft has removed the ability to do so, as the app has been removed from the store.

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I did turn off extras and info notifications several days ago and I still get notified a few times a day that there is an update available. Looks like I'll hard resetting again. Pretty terrible coding there windows insider folks.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, my notices came back as well. Still, I would rather tolerate the constant notifications than to lose maps on my SD card.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, my notices came back as well. Still, I would rather tolerate the constant notifications than to lose maps on my SD card.

I have maps on my SD card in Windows 10 TP. I also didn't lose Lumia storage check, nor 6snap. I thought I'd lose both. But I understand you not wanting to lose the Office apps and waiting for future builds.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I have maps on my SD card in Windows 10 TP. I also didn't lose Lumia storage check, nor 6snap. I thought I'd lose both. But I understand you not wanting to lose the Office apps and waiting for future builds.

The problem also is that the last 10 TP was unstable enough that I had to roll back. I don't have a spare phone, only my daily driver. If I have to roll back again, I will lose Lumia Storage Check at that time. I just can't risk it.

Still putting up with notifications several times per day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos