any chance for a camera shutter button reassign?

AnnoyingCat

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
since some WP (640, 640XL ...) doesn't have dedicated cam button, when will we be able to assign it to volume button? (for remote shutter to works)

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
There's a chance, but it's unlikely. Why remove the dedicated camera button in the first place if they would choose to allow it to be re-assigned to another button which may potentially be confusing?

Then again, if a developer finds a way to set the volume button as a trigger for the shutter without changing the volume settings of the phone (e.g. while the camera is active), it might be possible.

I just feel it doesn't "fit" the homogenized Windows Phone experience.

Imagine the following scenario:

Red Ferrari Testarossa stops in front of two guys.

Guy 1: Oh, quick! Snap a photo of that car!

Guy 2: Why don't you do it?

Guy 1: But my 1520 is stuck in my pants!

Guy 2: Hold on! (gets phone from wherever)

Guy 1: (Notices that Guy 2's phone doesn't have a camera button) So how would you take a photo?

Guy 2: Oh, but I can use the Volume button, see? (Presses the power button, unlocks the phone, launches a camera app)

Guy 1: But why didn't you press the volume button to unlock the phone?

Guy 2: Because that would just increase my phone volume... (camera app launches, takes aim at the $220,000 car).

Guy 1: So... I have to use my left hand now to press the shutter? Haven't seen a DSLR with the shutter on the left.

Guy 2: Well, it works for me since I'm ambidextrous. (taps on screen for auto-focusing...)

Guy 1: Oh, you still have to tap on the screen?

Guy 2: Yeah, no half-press here, remember?

Stoplight turns green, and the car slips from their window of opportunity.

Last edited:

cococola1997

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I agree w/ the original post. I wanted to snap some pics outside since it was beautiful sunny day despite it being subzero temps w/ the wicked wind chill. But since there was no physical button, I had to take off one of my gloves to tap on the screen. I could only take a few pics before my hand froze solid. That's when I thought, geez, I wish this phone had a physical shutter button.

gpobernardo makes a good point, that customizing your phone confuses other users; but customizability is what helps users feel comfortable with their own needs.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I prefer very much with NO camera button. With my old Nokias, pressing button caused always a little phone movement, ruinin pics.
Now, just a little touch on screen even with gloves on (I did it too)

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I prefer very much with NO camera button. With my old Nokias, pressing button caused always a little phone movement, ruinin pics.

There needs to be a certain specific kind of glass with high sensitivity for the use of gloves on it. All phones don't support gloves.

And the camera shutter key is very handy if you get used to it. I have literally forgotten that there is an on screen button also on my Lumia 830. When my friends ask me to click a photo on their phone, android of course, at first I am like holding the phone as a camera and almost ready to click the physical shutter key, and I suddenly realize there's no such a key *embarrassing* Even selfies are not shaky. The key is actually a little loose than the power and volume buttons so that they can be easily pressed. Anyways, you have a different opinion and it is just fine.

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site

Do you have the same problem with a normal camera, there has to be some "press" , BUT "Vocal Camera" is a great app if you have trouble pressing buttons :)

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I really wish the camera button would come back to all phones.

No camera button has been my most missed feature on any phone since becoming a smartphone junkie.
Still amazes me that the lowest of the low Lumia 520/521 had the button and now phones at twice the price do not.

Phones like the 635 and 640 could have been more than galactic efforts with this simple hardware feature.
I guess we've traded the LED flash for the button (even though the 635 had neither)

So sad too bad... :straight:

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
True camera button would be the best.
The second place is split between button/gesture to start camera (without unlocking first) and software camera button which has focus lock. I'll explain.

Starting camera, even with camera in notifications, is worse than starting camera from single button. Less actions -> more usable.

Back in time, when I had lower-end Samsung with android 2.6, the camera (5MP but quite good) had two modes. Touch screen to focus + capture was one. The other was software camera button with dual action: put finger on it -> focus on center and lock; lift finger -> capture. Don't want to capture -> slide finger outside button. Simple and effective and very good for precise timing ;) Just touch of the button was like what we have in Lumia/Windows camera: focus and capture. (Yes, I have given feedback)

I'd like to have both (start gesture + dual-action software button) because moments come and go (time window to get the photo taken) and I want to be in control. Touch to focus is sometimes good, but good old focus-reframe-and-shoot works better for me. Just hitting the capture button takes always some time in focusing - try to get good action photo or capture that impression using this.

Also (on W10) I hate when video part of living image contains focusing pump :D How easy it would be to start focusing and recording video frames on focus (on-screen or my proposal) and take the image on the instant the button is hit (or lifted in my proposal), taking last x.y seconds of the video frames.

But to get any of these from MS,
it's unlikely

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos