Poll: Do you want landscape mode for home screen?

Vicky Krishnatrai

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey friends!
Windows 10 for phone is something special for every windows phone users. Now the question is that do you want landscape mode for home screen? I guess this feature will transform our mobile into more similar like windows tablet. What's your opinion?

Tareq27

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I say why not ? Always good to have more options! And it always bugged me about wp8.1 that we dont have landscape mode

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Not unless orientation sensing is massively improved.
Can you
I mag innnn
E
Tryi ?g t o. t. Ype this
W?ttttth the sssss
c reeeeeeeennnn con
Stan. tly
chhhbb ang. Ing
orient.
At ion?

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm. Part of me wants to say "yes", but that's purely for aesthetic reasons. There have been so many times in recent days when I've looked for a good wallpaper image, only to find there's no way to get a good portrait crop out of it.

I've got to say "no", though. Aside from watching video, everything else I do with the phone is based around portrait. Landscape web browsing is not pleasant on a mobile.

fluffyowl kye

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I would love to have my start screen display in a landscape orientation. However, the only time I use landscape is for typing cause its really easy to type. :D

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yes, well, not really, but, there must always be an option. Yes or no, on or off.
Indeed. Because what my mum wants when she picks up a new phone is 76 pages of Settings to review, with four subpages of each.
There's a usability line that has to be drawn somewhere. Preferably not just off the bottom of the screen because someone decided landscape was a good idea.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
To give people the option would be good, personally I don't know it I would use it, but flexibility is good, perhaps a rotate home screen option in settings would do the job.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Not unless orientation sensing is massively improved.
Can you
I mag innnn
E
Tryi ?g t o. t. Ype this
W?ttttth the sssss
c reeeeeeeennnn con
Stan. tly
chhhbb ang. Ing
orient.
At ion?

Doesn't change orientation when I am typing in Internet Explorer or any other app..... You know, unless I'm sitting in a Gyro or a carnival ride.

I have been interested in landscape view for the start screen since 7.5. I am surprised they haven't done it by now. I'd use it regularly. Those who don't want it could simply have a setting where it is locked.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm. Part of me wants to say "yes", but that's purely for aesthetic reasons. There have been so many times in recent days when I've looked for a good wallpaper image, only to find there's no way to get a good portrait crop out of it.

I've got to say "no", though. Aside from watching video, everything else I do with the phone is based around portrait. Landscape web browsing is not pleasant on a mobile.

Landscape web browsing is what I do most of the time. Easier to type and easier to read due to larger view area and not having to pan left and right to read full lines of text.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Its actually a smaller viewing area, but yes, is more similar to browsing on a pc etc
However, a landscape Start screen comes with different interaction issues

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely! I was searching about this option one sleepless night. Reading while in landscape-mode, watching movies or videos, and some apps and games are made for landscape, but then returning to a portrait Start Screen just doesn't seem right. I agree it won't be for everyone. In fact, my brothers iPhone 6+ has this function but I would say it would look much better on a Windows Phone. He rarely uses it, but watching a video and then returning to the same orientation on the home screen just seems nice.

Needless to say, the iPhone's version of landscape/portrait home screen seems ugly.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Landscape web browsing is what I do most of the time. Easier to type and easier to read due to larger view area and not having to pan left and right to read full lines of text.

Fair enough, I sit corrected. I used to use landscape for browsers sometimes with my old 620, but I find the extra scrolling/v. keyboard blocking to be more hassle than it's worth. I expect MS has lots of data about people's orientation usage, so perhaps it's already on their to-do list!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb