2 Minutes made you change your opinion??

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
They will have to change this webpage hehe Microsoft /design :)

Anyways, yes, yes, user confusion everywhere.. That excuse is so lame, but unfortunately too real.

I'm afraid.. well not really.. that when Apple or Google "invents" new design, there will be no problem such as user confusion.. hah. Easy job if have big influence.

To be honest, Microsoft, when you give me Phone with full Windows with desktop designed for smaller screens, you will make my dream phone come true. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm afraid.. well not really.. that when Apple or Google "invents" new design, there will be no problem such as user confusion.. hah. Easy job if have big influence.

Apple and Google have never really tried to do a unifying UX with their platforms and devices, nor have their code bases been as unified as Microsoft is trying to do.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Apple and Google have never really tried to do a unifying UX with their platforms and devices, nor have their code bases been as unified as Microsoft is trying to do.

I meant the design alone. Anyways a normal user probably doesn't care much about unifying, at least from my experience by presenting this to people around.

Google is trying to make Android apps run on Chrome OS tho., and no matter how the apps are build, they are becoming more powerful. But as long as a computer doesn't support AutoCAD and such I'm not interested ;).

When a phone will be able to run .exe then I'll be interested. :) I'm pretty sure that it will happen

I meant the design alone, if they are going to change anything, then Microsoft UI will be that one again which doesn't follow others. And we all know Google doesn't sleep and is able to surprise anytime. Anyways a normal user probably doesn't care much about unifying, at least from my experience by presenting this to people around.

Google is trying to make Android apps run on Chrome OS tho.. But as long as a computer doesn't support AutoCAD and such I'm not interested ;).

The reason I point out Google so much is only cos they have the biggest market share in mobile space thus more influence.

When a phone will be able to run .exe then I'll be interested. :) I'm pretty sure that it will happen

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe some of you are too old to understand fresh ideas lol

We didn't get to be old by being foolish. Most of us older folks here use, and enjoy, multiple platforms because we know how to identify strengths and weaknesses. That's called wisdom and it doesn't come in a pill.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
We didn't get to be old by being foolish. Most of us older folks here use, and enjoy, multiple platforms because we know how to identify strengths and weaknesses. That's called wisdom and it doesn't come in a pill.

I know, and I hate to say stuff like that, because I respect people who are older than me, but it is a fact - that young people are also smart (ideas and talent) and are learning faster than their ancestors. There's a reason why companies hire younger fresh minds, with way more ideas. I remember on our most popular TV channel, when they got new 20y+ people, everything became better and in shorter amount of time. Strenghts and weaknesses are like MAIN things we focus on in school and Academy of design.

So I don't think that this statement is as valid as it used to be in the past. Our professors always puts us in front, cos they know we're the ones to change things in the future. Maybe it's just our culture, I can be happy
about it.

For example, just look at all those young developers, already creating better work in no time compared to before. Just needs a chance.

I apologize as English is not my main language.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Maybe some of you are too old to understand fresh ideas lol
hmmmm.
It's called experience, laddo.
It's having seen scores of ui/ux over the years and being able to have an educated guess as to which "new" ones might succeed.
It's nice that the kids can have ideas and get involved in a discussion though.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
hmmmm.
It's called experience, laddo.
It's having seen scores of ui/ux over the years and being able to have an educated guess as to which "new" ones might succeed.
It's nice that the kids can have ideas and get involved in a discussion though.

That's why it's good to have a good professor ;)

Anyways it's good times, to read all these responses, to expand the "horizon" ;) later'

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Old saying parents sometimes say to their children ... "anything you think of, we've already tried"

history brings frame of reference ...

plus, when I was your age, I thought I knew everything !

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm not particularly fond of the upper left hamburger menu, but I also an relatively powerless to do much about it.

At the end of the day, I will still have a great phone with a great OS. I like it better now, but there is more that I like about WP that the hamburger vs ellipsis. It certainly would not be enough to make me change platforms, but to each his own.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
At the end of the day, I will still have a great phone with a great OS. I like it better now, but there is more that I like about WP that the hamburger vs ellipsis. It certainly would not be enough to make me change platforms, but to each his own.

Completely agree.

As an aside, the Hamburger menu only becomes bad design choice if commonly used functions and fundamental navigation is put there. As someone put, the design of OneDrive is actually a great use, along with the pivots. Outlook in the TP would be fine if you can pin an account to the Start Screen with Live Tile, or choose a default account when opening, but I'm confident that will happen in the next builds.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Completely agree.

As an aside, the Hamburger menu only becomes bad design choice if commonly used functions and fundamental navigation is put there. As someone put, the design of OneDrive is actually a great use, along with the pivots. Outlook in the TP would be fine if you can pin an account to the Start Screen with Live Tile, or choose a default account when opening, but I'm confident that will happen in the next builds.

I'm guessing that they will switch from horizontal to vertical navigating in apps and use horizontal swipe to open hamburger's room. Like in new MSN apps for W10.

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
WMPoweruser trend to bash against Windows 10 in the last days and to sell the opinion of a single author to be the one and only valid view. Don't get me wrong I am also not happy with each and every change of Windows 10 but whats going on in this site in the last few days couldn't be done better on any MS hating site out there.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Completely agree.

That might have been me talking about the OneDrive app, the point that haters seem to be missing is that the Hamburger button is used for navigation/less common options ONLY and when done right it's actually useful because it reduces UI clutter. Realistically how many people use the settings or have more than a single OneDrive account, therefore it's not essential to have those visible to the user. Not only that but those things are not Actions which is what the App Bar and ellipsis menu are for.

You also need to look at it from the point of view that we still have pivots for navigation and we use the content for navigation as well, this is without mentioning the back, windows and search buttons that are common to ALL Windows Phones. From my own usage of the OneDrive app I've found that 99% of the time I never need to go anywhere near the hamburger button. Does this mean that the UI doesn't need tweaking, absolutely not as the search button should be on the App Bar instead as it's an Action performed on the content.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
WMPoweruser trend to bash against Windows 10 in the last days and to sell the opinion of a single author to be the one and only valid view. Don't get me wrong I am also not happy with each and every change of Windows 10 but whats going on in this site in the last few days couldn't be done better on any MS hating site out there.

Talking about me (Michael Allison), if you are, I've written only "3" articles that could be construed as going against the new UI. They were separated by a month. I only mentioned the hamburger menu in one of them.

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I am talking about the site in general as I don't know any authors of the site by name - so i can't say I talk about a specific person.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte