Nice little UI idea for Windows Phone

willfr

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I thought I'd post this here instead of the Windows Phone uservoice because I actually want someone from Microsoft to see this!

The idea: All through out the Windows Phone UI, when you touch/select a Word Button*, the color should change to your Accent Color to give you that clear visual confirmation that you touch/selected it. At the moment, when you touch/select, for example, one of the favorites in Internet Explorer, it's not really clear that you touch/selected it. This would be a really nice little touch. I hope to see it in Windows 10 for Smartphones!

*Word Button: touchable things that aren't boxed, such as the favorites in Internet Explorer, or web results in Bing search.

Last edited:

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nice little UI idea

Under the current guidelines, something touchable should move when you touch it. The "tilt effect" varies depending on where you touch the object. Essentially, it's like every touchable UI object is balancing on a "pivot point" that's at its center. (Note: this has nothing to do with the Pivot control.) If you touch the object in the middle, it simply presses inward as if you are pushing the pivot point backward. If you touch the object at its right edge, that edge presses inward while the left edge raises a bit. All of the tilting is based on the distance between the touch point and the pivot point that's centered the object.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I thought I'd post this here instead of the Windows Phone uservoice because I actually want someone from Microsoft to see this!

I'm not sure what prompted this notion. This is a fan based News and Discussion site. It is in no way run by Microsoft or Lumia. So far as I know there are no Microsoft Employees assigned to watch this forum and scoop up suggestions.

I am fairly certain there ARE Microsoft Employees charged with monitoring UserVoice...

The idea: All through out the Windows Phone UI, when you touch/select a Word Button*, the color should change to your Accent Color to give you that clear visual confirmation that you touch/selected it. At the moment, when you touch/select, for example, one of the favorites in Internet Explorer, it's not really clear that you touch/selected it. This would be a really nice little touch. I hope to see it in Windows 10 for Smartphones!

*Word Button: touchable things that aren't boxed, such as the favorites in Internet Explorer, or web results in Bing search.

So... The immediate action that takes place such as navigating to the link you tapped or favorite tapped is not indicative of selection???

I feel like I'm missing something.

Last edited:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

The words tilt when you tap on them so you know its selected

willfr

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site

Under the current guidelines, something touchable should move when you touch it. The "tilt effect" varies depending on where you touch the object. Essentially, it's like every touchable UI object is balancing on a "pivot point" that's at its center. (Note: this has nothing to do with the Pivot control.) If you touch the object in the middle, it simply presses inward as if you are pushing the pivot point backward. If you touch the object at its right edge, that edge presses inward while the left edge raises a bit. All of the tilting is based on the distance between the touch point and the pivot point that's centered the object.

My suggestion is not in conflict with current guidelines. "Word Buttons" (I made this term up btw) would and I believe should continue to tilt when touched/selected, but would also turn red (if your Accent Color is set to red). And it should be said that the tilt effect is so subtle that most people probably aren't even aware its happening.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
TBH, since we're primarily an enthusiast forum, the likelihood of a MS person seeing this is probably lower.

Although I suppose it can't hurt to stick it in both.

I do like the idea though.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site

My suggestion is not in conflict with current guidelines. "Word Buttons" should continue to tilt when touched/selected, but would also turn your Accent Color.
I believe that doing anything more than tilt effect IS in conflict with the current guidelines. But, the "current" guidelines are soon to be the "old" guidelines, so who knows.

I will suggest that I think that doing both is confusing and too much. Having something tilt makes sense -- that happens in the real world. Having something change color makes sense -- we see that with mouseover effects on web pages. Having something do both for what the user perceives as a single action results in a confusing clash of the real and online worlds. Why not also add sounds or haptic feedback?

And I think that the answer is that subtlety is best. We want the user to recognize that something happened, but maybe not even know why they recognize it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3