Has Microsoft removed all "hamburger button" feedback from the Windows Feedback app?

N3croman

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it had to do with a former ms employee leaking info about the hamburger menus and the barrage of feedback that followed. Either way you should've figured out by now that hamburger menus are here to stay. If word from someone who was a part of the design team wasn't convincing enough I dunno what is.
I've not said that I don't like hamburgers or that Microsoft should change them to something else. I was only noting that lot of probably unwanted feedback just disappeared form the Windows Feedback app recently without anyone saying anything. If Microsoft plans to delete unwanted feedback just like that than all the Windows Feedback app is nothing but a PR stunt.

I find it interesting that so many people seem intent on commenting about whether they did something without actually checking first to see if it is even true. Perhaps before pondering the merits or suggesting conspiracy one might want to look....
Not sure, what you mean? Even recently there were hamburger button feedbacks with thousands of "Me toos". Now the most popular I can find have about tens of votes.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Am curious as to what are the option under hamburger menu in calculator, do remember something about weight in elephants - link me up with pics if possible
Windows 10 calculator. Way more advanced than the one we have now

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_windows-10-calculator-lumia-635.jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_windows-10-calculator-lumia-635.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 5

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
With the uglt task bar at the top and the menu not going full screen... More powerful maybe, but not more usable.

Lol. Thank you for making me laugh. During our daily development process at my workplace, I come here to read posts like these to have a good laugh.

Thank you once again.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
What's all the fuss? Stardock probably has a program waiting in the wings that removes all hamburgers and replaces them with ellipses at the bottom.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
With all this rant & raving, I haven't seen many people mention this.

Notice anything familiar? :p

Hint: You probably press this button a zillion times when you use the xbox 1 to pin to home, manage apps, access settings, quit games / applications etc. :winktongue:

xbox-one-pad-21.jpg

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Notice anything familiar? :p

See, that hamburger is okay. That hamburger I'm absolutely used to, because that's just the way it's always been on my Xbox and on other game consoles.

But how dare they force me to use something different on my phone, when I've been so accustomed to how it was before. Now I'm so inconvenienced, I don't know how I'd do anything on my phone anymore...

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I just pray that Microsoft lets us swipe from the left edge to open the hamburger menu. I don't wanna have to start using my phone left handed to reach it with one hand

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Hamburgers or not, I'm fine.

And what's with all the speculation? An MS employee could have just accidentally deleted the feedback.

Giffdev

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
While I don't know the details on this particular piece of feedback (believe it or not I don't track every single suggestion personally ^_^ ), I can definitely tell you that

a) we don't remove feedback when we've heard a certain amount, we WANT upvotes rather than duplicates of existing issues. Sometimes things disappear through deduplication efforts and clean up

b) The Windows Insider program is definitely not a PR stunt, and I promise you that we 100% bring subjective feedback into the discussions of feature design, bugs, and our backlogs.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Has Microsoft removed all "hamburger button" feedback from the Windows Feedback app?

definitely not a PR stunt, and I promise you that we 100% bring subjective feedback into the discussions of feature design, bugs, and our backlogs.

The Insider Program is certainly genuinely useful, for both MS and consumers. I'd argue that this whole debate over navigational concepts being held now, rather than surprising everyone on launch day, is already proof of that.

Still, it's when consumer interests with a large number of votes on uservoice can't be realized, for whatever reasons, that the Insider Program is in danger of at least looking like a PR stunt.

During the prologue of most of Terry Myerson's recent speeches, he's often given me the impression that all popular uservoice requests do/will have their impact on the feature set.

On the other hand, the few articles on WCentral hinting at MS' position on navigation suggest that MS has long ago drawn a line in the sand.

To me that seems like mixed/contradictory messages. That's were I locate the "PR stunt" component of the Insider Program (when coupled with uservoice).

Last edited:

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Has Microsoft removed all "hamburger button" feedback from the Windows Feedbac

As one who has spoken on the UI quite a bit, I agree with you. It makes the whole thing seem like its not worth it. Especially after that AMA which essentially went, "Don't bother your pretty little heads, Microsoft knows best"
. P.s for some reason the Win central shorthand thing shows PR as Google Page Ranking. Changes the meaning completely lol
The Insider Program is certainly genuinely useful, for both MS and consumers. I'd argue that this whole debate over navigational concepts being held now, rather than surprising everyone on launch day, is already proof of that.

Still, it's when consumer interests with a large number of votes on uservoice can't be realized, for whatever reasons, that the Insider Program is in danger of at least looking like a PR stunt.

During the prologue of most of Terry Myerson's recent speeches, he's often given me the impression that all popular uservoice requests do/will have their impact on the feature set.

On the other hand, the few articles on WCentral hinting at MS' position on navigation suggest that MS has long ago drawn a line in the sand.

To me that seems like mixed/contradictory messages. That's were I locate the "PR stunt" component of the Insider Program (when coupled with uservoice).

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I just used the app and I saw plenty of posts about the hamburger menus.

Me too - but they all had single- or double-digit numbers of "me toos," when yesterday they had thousands. (And no, they didn't just reset everything - e.g., there were still thousands of "me toos" on several variations of "THAT PEOPLE APP IS AWFUL," so those are still incrementing.)

Giffdev

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Has Microsoft removed all "hamburger button" feedback from the Windows Feedbac

Well, there are a few things here. Often, we don't mark User Voice requests as "completed" until the item has shipped to our general audience, so sometimes it can look like a User Voice request has been around awhile and we really are working toward it.

Even if it isn't immediately completed, we certainly, absolutely, 100% DO look at user voice requests (and the windows feedback tool!) and use it as a convincing source of data to help prioritize fixes and changes to the product. Does that mean that every request will make it? Not necessarily, but it is a great source that we look at. I spent the bulk of my afternoon with engineers yesterday prioritizing the top customer feedback issues across the teams I work with (the windows shell and apps), and we definitely got input from an array of sources including (but not limited to) the windows feedback tool and User Voice.

I can't get more specific for you all, but I want to make it clear that when we ask people to use user voice and the windows feedback tool, it's because we absolutely care about what bubbles up to the top on each of those sources and we look at what people are requesting and reporting as issues.

One last plug, again if you're having any issues with the builds you can always go to the Microsoft Community Forums where we have official staff and engineers to help!
-Devin

Giffdev

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
PS if anyone is curious whether hamburger menus were discussed at all, the short answer is yes many engineers and user research and the design team has all heard the mixed feedback on this, and it's definitely something we're keenly aware of as an issue we receive lots of feedback on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers