WP 10 Flagship next year? WTF

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
According to this article

Windows 10 desktop version will launch before Windows 10 for Phones

WP 10 for mobiles will be not be released this summer. It will be released after windows 10 desktop version. Just like the way it happened with 8.1. Usually MS releases its new OS in October.

Does that mean that windows 10 for desktop will be released in October and the the mobile version along with flagship will be released on April next year?

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you read this carefully enough!

That means that while the PC version of Windows 10 will be released this summer, Windows 10 for Phone might not see the light of day until the fall. And Lumia devices that launch with Windows 10 for Phone out of the box won't be available until later this year.

If the financial report given by AMD's CEO is correct (and given the source, it ought to be), Windows 10 for desktops is set for release at the end of July.

All we know from Belfiore is that Windows Phone will come a bit later. The expectation is that it will be pretty soon after. We've seen images of some radically different-looking test builds set to arrive soon, so let's hope the appearance is matched by under-the-hood improvements too.

The launch of Windows Phones is nothing more than a sensible guess. It would make sense if MS used the official launch of Windows 10 for Phones to launch new hardware too, so that each one can boost the other. Nobody really knows that for sure, though - they could just as easily mount a new push for the 930 and 830 as the greatest platforms for Win10, and follow with a true flagship later. A lot of the time we're getting angry about things that we feel like we were promised, but MS never pledged; we just read them so many times, they felt like cast iron.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Well, let's combine all the speculation, guesses, "I'm sure"s and wild rumours into something completely fantasy-based:
W10: Summer. The end of summer. People keep screaming "July", but that's crazy talk.
W10 for Phones: Autumn (or Fall, if you must). But for US-only to maximise tankage/fail headlines during Black Friday/Holiday Season
W10 for Phones​​: Spring 2016 for the general availability of any new own-brand hardware. If any exists. Who's to say MS don't go all Google-y and just farm out hardware manufacturing to someone else. Nokia maybe.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Nokia's denying it's even got a phone-manufacturing business anymore, and it's hard to see how it would benefit them to lie. Maybe they've got some R&D, but I doubt they're ready for making phones, let alone Windows phones.

The notion of an end of July Win10 release is actually the best-supported rumour we have. Unless MS overruns this date for other reasons, there's no reason to suppose the CEO reading a carefully prepared report would make a mistake on the fly: AMD may have revealed Windows 10 launch date in earnings call - Industry - News - HEXUS.net

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion, windows for PCs will RTM sometime this July/August while Windows Phone flagship may be announced in IFA Germany or a dedicated event sometime in September/October so, here is to hoping that we will have our hands on a Windows 10 flagship phone until November max.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it will be next year.
They said only that Win10 for Mobile will come after Win10 for PCs. So if Win10 for PCs coms in July or whatever they've said. I expect Win10 for Mobile to be released around the holiday season, along with a few devices that run it out of the box.

todd7900

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
As I've posted elsewhere, from a marketing perspective a staggered release makes sense. A summer release for the desktop/tablet in order to take advantage of the back to school sales. A fall/early winter release for the phone with new hardware for the holiday sales. MS has shown an ability to keep new hardware secret until they are good and ready to let it out, Hololens, Band, 640, Surface 3 are just a few recent examples, so I'm just not panicking about the lack of rumored new flagships.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
According to this article

Windows 10 desktop version will launch before Windows 10 for Phones

WP 10 for mobiles will be not be released this summer. It will be released after windows 10 desktop version. Just like the way it happened with 8.1. Usually MS releases its new OS in October.

Does that mean that windows 10 for desktop will be released in October and the the mobile version along with flagship will be released on April next year?

Why does "after october" mean April 2016 for you?

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
What will be will be. It's been just over a year since Satya took over the reigns at MS and in that time the company has changed direction dramatically. There are huge challenges ahead and it shows but the release dates to me don't matter, what will matter when they are shown is the specs of the handsets and only then will we know what MS has planned.

Android development is lightning fast at the moment and MS needs to show it's teeth with some real good handsets but i'd rather have to wait than have something pushed out that may have a detrimental effect on the platforms development. We need to focus on hard concrete facts when they are given to us rather than speculation by hacks looking for click bait.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
On Windows Weekly this week (Friday, the all Alcohol Edition), both the Big Guy here Dan R. and Mary Jo said staggered release.
End of July for Windows 10 PC, and about 6 weeks behind will be or Phone.

Now also please remember Microsoft will pop the top on Windows 10 for Phone and send to the carriers, like all updates it is then into the hands of the oh so wonderful Tech Monkey's of your branded carrier. The same wonderful people who looked after the Cyan and Denim updates with the speed of a snail...........

Good news is there will be a way to use the developer preview to have a stable/running full version, and the rumor is there may be 2 new Rings added ( I think that' what they are called), So you will be able to pick Slow Ring, Fast Ring, Stable Ring, and Daily Ring.

The last two I think are already used by Cyanogen Mod for Android updates of custom Roms

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
What will be will be. It's been just over a year since Satya took over the reigns at MS and in that time the company has changed direction dramatically. There are huge challenges ahead and it shows but the release dates to me don't matter, what will matter when they are shown is the specs of the handsets and only then will we know what MS has planned.

Android development is lightning fast at the moment and MS needs to show it's teeth with some real good handsets but i'd rather have to wait than have something pushed out that may have a detrimental effect on the platforms development. We need to focus on hard concrete facts when they are given to us rather than speculation by hacks looking for click bait.
well it's easy enough to avoid carrier-induced delays and their loathsome bloatware.
Just buy your own handset.

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
well it's easy enough to avoid carrier-induced delays and their loathsome bloatware.
Just buy your own handset.

Exactly and given the MS strategy at the minute of bringing handsets to the man on the streets budget which matters the most this method of purchase is getting easier and easier. Sure i want a top notch phone but for kids or people on a budget that choice matters the most. Considering price for price comparisons of windows phones to similar Android phones i think the quality shows in windows favour at the moment. Whole life costs matter and some people don't want the expensive contracts to be tied down with.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Problem is, every analyst report you can get your hands on is quite clear on the state of market saturation in the US.
Add in Apple's annual offering ​at that time of year and you have to wonder why they bother with it.
If they're in the game to increase market share, then US Autumn is the wrong time. In the wrong place.
If they're trying to clean up the low-end market, US Autumn is the wrong time. In the wrong place.
If it's about creating hype and a halo-effect device, US Autumn is the wrong time. In the wrong place.
Without knowing what the strategy (if any!) MS has around an OS for phone hardware, it's hard to know which game they're going to suck hardest at.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)