How exactly will Universal apps work?

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I was just musing over this the other day and would love to know from a few pundits. How exactly will universal apps work? What will it be like to have a common store for all devices. Does that mean lets say Whatapp can be installed on Pc, Phone and Hololens or the developer gets to chose what kind of devices he wants to target! Will EACH app be a universal app?
They demonstrated that wechat was working on PC and the drag and drop feature was pretty slick. Can we expect games which are ONLY available for phones now (candy crush) will also be available for xbox and PCs with windows 10?
Plus I've never used Xbox before, so forgive me for my ignorance but say game which is downloaded from the xbox game store can also be downloaded for pc and phones if the hardware requirements are met?
So ANY app available on the store can be downloaded for ANY one of the devices?

Neyney10

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
When developing a Windows APP, the developer can choose which platform he want to develop to- Tablet, PC or phone / XBOX what ever.
he can then , if he choose to, to reuse most of the code with mostly subtle GUI changes in order to make it work on other platforms as well.
for example
whatsapp now is a Windows Phone Application, the whatsapp team can easily make thier application work on other paltforms and make it a universal application, only if they choose to.
at the moment the universal application works only for Phones, PC and tablets, no Xbox or hololens just yet.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
In normal language:

Some Universal apps are already available on Windows and Windows Phone. That means that it uses the same code to build both of the versions, but with needed modifications for each to display properly on desktop/mobil, etc..

You can also buy the app once and then download it on PC and your smartphone, Xbox, HoloLens.. If it's available.

Microsoft aims to have the same store for all their devices.

We can only hope more developers embrace these features and gives us Universal apps :)

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Aaah thanks for that. So basically I will see whatsapp listed in the store on my pc but it all depend on the developer if he has made it available for that particular device. Cool. :)

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
And I just tried doing that by developing a small app today morning using Visual Studio and it works perfectly on my PC, surface and phone.
Posted on Lumia 1520 via Taptalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)