App Permissions

Therealeinn

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello! I'm curious why this isn't a more talked-about feature that is coming to Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile!

The ability to give or turn off permissions for individual apps that are requesting it is much-needed for security. It is similar to the way it is on iOS. While it is ultimately up to me not to download rogue/malicious apps, I'm finding a lot of apps that I really enjoy using (and there are no good substitutes) are requesting things, like location, contact list, and pictures, that it shouldn't be.

I can't find any of the articles on Neowin or Windows Central showing pictures of the "Manage Permissions" options and I currently do not have Windows 10 on my phone, as it is my only cellular device. I was wondering if someone who did have it installed could tell me if there was an option to turn off access to pictures/music/media etc.

I'm really looking forward to getting some new hardware and running Windows 10 Mobile. Thank you!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
You can decide which apps can have access to the camera, calendar, contacts, location, messaging and microphone

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Yea,this feature is on update 2,I definitely think its a great for security.but it doesn't seem to show all apps within each group, ie as ven07 listed.Its probably something that will be improved greatly in windows 10

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I've installed the "pre-Windows 10" Windows Phone 8.1 OS version in my L535 (8.10.15116.125). The OS update sorted out the settings and added the ability to rename the phone from the settings, among other things. The update also brought the new "App permissions", where the user can control which apps can access Calendar, Camera, Contacts, Messaging and Microphone. The only difference from what ven07 mentioned is that I can't find the option for "Location".

I haven't installed Windows 10 Technical Preview, avoiding the bricking risk. But given that this is already in the so called "pre-Windows 10" Windows Phone 8.1 OS version (the OS version that needs to be installed before the Technical Preview can be installed), this should also be in the final Windows 10.

Therealeinn

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
You can decide which apps can have access to the camera, calendar, contacts, location, messaging and microphone

So just to clarify, there is NO setting that will allow you to deny permissions for photos/media except for "camera"? Does camera imply taken and/or saved pictures on your phone or just physical access to the camera to take a picture?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
So just to clarify, there is NO setting that will allow you to deny permissions for photos/media except for "camera"? Does camera imply taken and/or saved pictures on your phone or just physical access to the camera to take a picture?

At the moment there is no option to limit access to photos/media.. I don't believe this currently works or it's taking time to adjust, because I turned off camera permissions for Whatsapp, yet I can still access my pictures and camera via the app

Therealeinn

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Awesome, thank you for the clarification, Ven07! I do hope in the future, Microsoft adds this. I'm most worried about pictures that I take ending up in the hands of... well, anyone. Not that I'm taking risque or risky photos lol, just the thought of someone having my personal family pictures is a bit jarring.

syspry

May 5, 2015
Visit site
I have a question about this. One of my beefs with Android is that a developer can embed code in their app to send advertising info to ad agency lists. They don't even need actual visible ads on the screens of their app, it all happens in the background. You could install for example a simple notepad app that has zero reason to connect to the internet but has internet connection permission on the app because it connects to ad agencies in the background.

Currently on Android there is no way to install an app like this but be able to selectively deny its internet permission. Will you be able to on WP 10?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Currently on Android there is no way to install an app like this but be able to selectively deny its internet permission. Will you be able to on WP 10?

I have not seen the ability to deny an app internet connection, but isn't the internet connection option there so that the app can automatically connect to the cloud and sync?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Awesome, thank you for the clarification, Ven07! I do hope in the future, Microsoft adds this. I'm most worried about pictures that I take ending up in the hands of... well, anyone. Not that I'm taking risque or risky photos lol, just the thought of someone having my personal family pictures is a bit jarring.

I understand :) and even if you were taking those pictures, it's your business and your right to do so. In any case I will notify you if and when, I notice that the feature has started to work

syspry

May 5, 2015
Visit site
I have not seen the ability to deny an app internet connection, but isn't the internet connection option there so that the app can automatically connect to the cloud and sync?
I'm speaking about apps in general not any one specifically

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb