Why is my wifi so slow in Windows 10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Windows 10 and wifi problems

Hi, so I decided to try Windows 10 and everything is going well except the Wifi that is very slow and has very short range (in comparison to Windows 8).

Do I believe that it is a problem of the driver but can not find them, someone I could help? Do you can install driver for Windows 8.1 without problems (longer than the Intel graphics 4400 will not let me)?

My laptop is a Hp Pavilion 14 v013la

Thank you

big shot1

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
If your wifi connection is slow but ethernet connection is faster then follwoing steps may help you.

STEP 1:
Open Run and type devmgmt.msc to open device manager.
STEP 2: Locate the wifi adapter and double click to open properties window.
STEP 3: Go to "Advanced" tab.
STEP 4: Click on "802.11n Bandwidth" [You may have b,g or n after 802.11[b/g/n] Bandwidth].
If not found & then you may have default windows driver installed.Then you can found an option of "HT Mode".

STEP 5:
Change the value in dropdown to "20MHz/40MHz Auto" if already not selected.
Note: If you have default windows driver installed then you may have options in the dropdown like "HT Mode 20|40". If you found then select it.

STEP 6: Click "Ok". It will restart your adapter automatically and may solve your problem.

1.png

theo2881

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
The solution for me was to go to Activity Center (Windows Key + A) and turn off "Location". My Wi-Fi speed is now consistent at the highest speed I am paying for and returns the same result on speed test as my wired connection.
Thank you!! Turning location off on my SP3 fixed the issue. Reported the problem in feedback.

Matheus Magno

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I had this problem for a few days, my internet is a 10Mbps connection, and my laptop was using 0.3Mbps of download rate.

I solved the mystery like this:

- Change the wifi frequency from 20mhz to 40mhz at my router settings

That's it.

jherbjr

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
But if you go somewhere else and use their router (public, maybe) you are back where you started. I found 2 workarounds.
1: I noticed that you do a restart of Windows, the Windows load-up and the login take longer. But you will have your signal strength back.
2: Go to the Network and Sharing Center>Change Adapter Settings. Disable the Wifi adapter. Then re-enable it. You will get your signal strength back. This way is much faster.

I'm thinking that Microsoft's attempt to provide a fast boot-up is not allowing certain operations to be performed on the wifi function. But with the Windows re-start, all needed steps are performed. That is why it takes longer to get to the desktop.

Jeff Gillis

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Windows 10 removed the option to enable/disable your Bluetooth adapter, so it is now it is on at all times and searching constantly for Bluetooth devices to connect to.

Most computers have WiFi/Bluetooth combo cards, and since they both share the 2.4 GHz band, they have to take turn transmitting and receiving, so when your Bluetooth Adapter is enabled, your WiFi speed suffers.
If your routers support it, you can switch your WiFi to 5 GHz, but it is easier to just disable the Bluetooth Adapter from within device manager when you are not using it.

To do so, just open Device Manager (right click Start Menu and choose Device Manager), locate the Bluetooth Adapter, right click and then choose disable / enable as needed. No reboot is required.

Courtney Graley

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
If your system Windows 10 is working slowly, you can follow the below steps:

1. Press Windows + X on the keyboard.
2. Select Control Panel.
3. Select Troubleshooting.
4. Under System and Security click on Run maintenance task

If you need more information, [edited by mod] simply ask questions on this site.

Last edited by a moderator:

manuel yau ng1

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
i also have this problem, wifi get no more 2 or 1 mbps. i have contrated 6 Mbps( i was reinstalled the windows , 3 times). if your see the status of wi-fi on panel. i can see velocity on 5,5 or 6 or whataver.
i tested on other pc laptop get 6 mbps. and on my cellphone also.

note , my desktop dont have bluetooth. i see the option cannot enable or disable.
windows updates is updated.
my router was try change config channel, and 20 mhz,40 mhz, put password wpa2 and free password.
controller is updated lastest.
nothing fixed.

Last edited:

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
i am using Hp Pavilion laptop. Wifi became unusably slow. How to solve the problem???

Thanking you.

Ram Kumar

Enter router menu (open a empty web page, and type the address 192.168.1.1 name: admin, password, admin - Chewck your router user guide, it could be a little different.
In wifi settings, change channel from auto or default to one of minimum or maximus (make tests)

parth4444

Oct 5, 2018
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 and wifi problems

Hi, so I decided to try Windows 10 and everything is going well except the Wifi that is very slow and has very short range (in comparison to Windows 8).

Do I believe that it is a problem of the driver but can not find them, someone I could help? Do you can install driver for Windows 8.1 without problems (longer than the Intel graphics 4400 will not let me)?

My laptop is a Hp Pavilion 14 v013la

Thank you

Solution :

May the problem is not in your laptop but it is in your wifi Router.

open wireless router setup page it should be defined on the box of router along with IP (often 192.168.0.1) and default username and Password. log in with that
now find wireless setting or Advanced wireless settings or Wireess basic setting (not Wireless setup)
then search for Channel width -> set it from 20Mhz to 40Mhz or 20/40MHz accouring to which setting is available in your rouuter
select band or wireless mode to 802.11mixed(n/g/b) or 802.11(n/g) it should contain 'n' or 'N'
Save changes and reboot Router
(Also should be Noted: turn off Bluetooth, stay away from Microwave, Walkie-talkie or any other device which use 2.4Mhz wireless band, because of that also your speed may get distorted and unstable)
Done & Enjoy High Speed WIreless

you can see that in network adapter settings that your wireless is now connected with 150mbps

and also still there is an issue then go to device manager > network adapters > your wifi adapter > (right click) properties > advanced > from several options > wireless mode > set it to the option which has maximum numbers of n/g/b like that (shown in image)

Thats pretty much it Nothing More problem than this will occur.

Defunately this much of settings will solve the Problem. :)
Screenshot (9)_LI.jpgScreenshot (8)_LI.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion