Unable to Rollback From Windows 10 on 930 With Windows Phone Recovery Tool - Help?!

Morten Vik

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same issue with my Lumia 930. Does not respond to any button presses. Not even the hard reboot button combination. When I connect it to my PC it sometimes is detected as QHSUSB_BULK in the device manager, but the Windows Phone Recovery Tool is unable to detect the phone.

I did exactly the same thing as you. Installed Windows 10, but as the start screen kept loading forever, I decided to revert back til WP 8.1. I used the Windows Phone Recovery Tool 2.0.3, but the installation failed almost immediately after the phone rebooted the first time.

Have you found a solution yet?

Shad0wguy

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same issue with my Lumia 930. Does not respond to any button presses. Not even the hard reboot button combination. When I connect it to my PC it sometimes is detected as QHSUSB_BULK in the device manager, but the Windows Phone Recovery Tool is unable to detect the phone.

I did exactly the same thing as you. Installed Windows 10, but as the start screen kept loading forever, I decided to revert back til WP 8.1. I used the Windows Phone Recovery Tool 2.0.3, but the installation failed almost immediately after the phone rebooted the first time.

Have you found a solution yet?

I know there is a fix for the QHSUSB_DLOAD. I don't know if the one you mentioned can be fixed using the same method or not.

amirshark

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I know it's not the same phone but I was experiencing the above mentioned issue with my Lumia 928. I wasn't ready to try Windows 10 on my Icon. Nothing I did was working at first to restore the 928. Eventually, I shut off the sim card pin (since it was still on) but that had no effect. The Windows Software Recovery Tool kept failing until I turned off all the radios on the phone. Every single one. Cellular, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. I tried one more time and the Windows Software Recovery Tool worked like a charm. I did not try the Lumia Software Recovery Tool at any point.

So I would suggest to anyone still having this issue to disable ALL radios first and then try to perform a recovery. It's worth a shot since it worked for me.
Still not happening, turned off all connection but still failed. Stuck with forever loading menu screen in WP10. Any solution guys?

nicolas_as

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi there!
I was having the same problem with Windows Phone recovery tool, so I tried Lumia software recovery tool, and it worked on the first time

Jakub Suchy

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
So I had exactly same problem. Sometimes installation progres went to 5% sometimes to 45% and then checked for Anti-Theft and failed. After 3hours or restarting and repeating process I was done. I was desperate, so I contacted Microsoft Chat Support, but they said they do not give support for Windows Phone soft, BUT when I was writing with them the installation got through to 100% and finaly finished. Luck? Dunno.

Kristijan87

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm there. With my Lumia 920. Got sick and tired of the brand new (10136) build's wonky wifi and Bluetooth and quick actions going all dead on me so I decided to rollback. Thinking "what are the odds I'll kill my phone AGAIN with it?"

It's dead. Well, not quite, but almost. WPRT is stuck in the endless loop of tryting to install software, then failing at Checking Anti Theft Protection then killing my phone completely, then downloading emergency flash (3,x MB) and repeating the process all over again. I'm on the 10th cycle so far. I wonder for how long I'm gonna keep doing this. :/

EDIT: It's dead for good. Emergency flashing now fails every time, no more red screen with Nokia logo. It now simply says "The connected device cannot be recovered". That's that, then, bye bye my Lumia.

Last edited:

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue. Build 10080 is unusable for me. I can't roll back with either tools either. Ive posts on the MS Insider community site with not much help.

The last thing I am going to do is try it from another laptop. If that doesn't work I will box up my 920 and go back to Android. It's that bad.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
i have the verizon icon and am unable to rollback to 8.1 as well not sure on the build i have but very irritated that i cant go back any ideas

Did you already try both tools the WPRT and the LSRT, uninstalled them and try again, use different USB cables, use different USB ports, disable the "Reset protection" in Settings > UPDATE & SECURITY > Find my phone, did a hard reset, use another PC.

And keep trying, I ones needed 5 USB cables and 2 USB ports before it worked,

sickness2001

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
ive gone through 18 diffrent cables and 5 usb ports and found one that works but now that ive done that it sits on the reading phone info please wait with the dots going around in a circle any idea on how long this part takes or if i need to change cables and ports again ive been sitting here for almost 45 minutes now on this one screen

YKooistra

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Doing a factory reset and then using the Windows Phone Recovery Tool BEFORE going through the initial setup wizard did the trick for me.

OrlandoAlex

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
I know I'm late to the party but had to share this in case it saves someone from an entire day of troubleshooting this problem like I just went through. I literally just switched USB cables and the WPRT worked. I've been fighting with my Lumia 521 stuck in a loop for 12 or more hours. The loop looked like this, for those looking for someone in the same boat: Phone starts up, shows small NOKIA logo, then carrier logo, then goes to the gears and starts the factory reset process, but the progress indicator only gets about 1/10 of the way across, then quickly jumps to about 95%, then gives the frowny sad face then reboots and starts again. I have seen this sequence so many times. I tried all sorts of things, crazy things, to fix this. Then I switched USB cables based on comments above, and voila, it's installing as we speak, with the red screen and the big NOKIA logo. Before the closest I got to what people were talking about with this red screen was just a big NOKIA logo on a black background. Thank you guys for bringing up the USB cable. Curse whoever made this cheap cable that just cost me a day.

RETVET Son

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, having this issue, tried all the USB cables I have that fit the phone, none of them are doing jack for me... pun not intended. I did a hard reset and didn't instal from a back up and when I click update I get prompted to update to windows 8.1... has anyone tried this? Do they know if it will work or just brick my phone?

Kamil80

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I was batteling this problem for about a month, windows recovery tool has been useless, and Lumia recovery was quite difficult to find for download. When I found some old version of Lumia recov. tool on third party web page, install it and update it to newest ver. it finally worked. And all it turned out to be, was a problem with USB drivers on my computer. It just reinstalled usb drv. (add some lumia its own + emergency usb driver ????) I'm back to win. phone 8.1 and happy again

joshcsmith13

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Thank You garbagedrew! After several days of unsuccessful attempts to "recover" WP8.1 on my device, trying different USB cables and ports, this worked for me: Entered PIN to unlock , turned Airplane Mode ON and tried again. That time WPRT worked perfectly!
I'm kind of curious to know if having a PIN lock set had anything to do with it, although I did try Resetting WP10 to get rid of it once without any luck.
FYI AT&T LUMIA 920 with Windows tech preview.

Riivo

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Nokia Software Updater for Retail 4.3.2 was the solution for me after having failed attempts at rolling back to 8.1 on my lumia 830 using Windows phone recovery tool and Nokia software recovery tool.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank You garbagedrew! After several days of unsuccessful attempts to "recover" WP8.1 on my device, trying different USB cables and ports, this worked for me: Entered PIN to unlock , turned Airplane Mode ON and tried again. That time WPRT worked perfectly!

I'm kind of curious to know if having a PIN lock set had anything to do with it, although I did try Resetting WP10 to get rid of it once without any luck.

FYI AT&T LUMIA 920 with Windows tech preview.

Mine kept failing until I removed the pin lock, three pin definitely has something to do with our failing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss