920 and Build 10080 'fun'

j_the_geek

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Just want to point out I know this is a BETA build, and aware that it's still in development.

My 'fun' with the 10080 build so far ...

I get roughly 4 hours of battery life.
Try not to charge the phone for more than 30 mins (roughly) as the phone gets way too hot whilst charging.
Not able to turn the phone off. Holding the power button just restarts the phone.
No start screen - I managed to get the start screen by hard resetting the phone, but this can take at least 3 attempts.
If I can get the start screen, it'll only be accessible until I open an app. After this, pressing the home button will just reload the current app.
Date and time don't change.
No WiFi - it appears DHCP isn't working properly.
Cortana works, looks much better in this release. So far, this is the only way to view the interwebs as the news links open in Project Spartan.
Action Centre and settings pages work.
The lock screen doesn't always respond to touch.

I also randomly get a "Updates will install at 3am" toast, but when I check for updates, there aren't any.

That's all that I can remember for now.

--- Edit, I've remembered/encountered more ----

Restarting the phone takes anything from 10 - 40% battery life. So having to hard reset to get the start screen is very costly.
Camera app starts and works fine.
Somehow, earlier, I was able to pull down the action centre, but not swipe up to unlock :S
When restarting the phone (or powering on), there's a loud pop as if the speaker is turning on.

Last edited:

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I get about 6 hours on my 920 but I've not experienced any of the other issues you've had.
One thing I have noticed is that when I hold the 'back' button, I get a small mouse cursor in the top-left of the screen.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 920 here too.

- Battery use is all over the place - sometimes it's not so bad, and at other times it's ridiculously fast to drain
- With USB charging, I had at least two occasions where my battery percentage went down after being plugged in for quite a while and not used (I suspect some kind of change in the handling of apps is responsible, since even in 8.1 there were certain apps that could mysteriously destroy your battery. Whatever caused this issue for some apps appears to be affecting more now.)
- I can turn off the phone
- Date and time work
- Wifi works
- I do get my Start screen, and Home works to get back out of an app, but there's a long wait to open apps and switch back to Start via Home
- Lock screen seems to be fine for me
- I'm getting that hoax update toast too

cyborgnish

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Just want to point out I know this is a BETA build, and aware that it's still in development.

My 'fun' with the 10080 build so far ...

I get roughly 4 hours of battery life.
Try not to charge the phone for more than 30 mins (roughly) as the phone gets way too hot whilst charging.
Not able to turn the phone off. Holding the power button just restarts the phone.
No start screen - I managed to get the start screen by hard resetting the phone, but this can take at least 3 attempts.
If I can get the start screen, it'll only be accessible until I open an app. After this, pressing the home button will just reload the current app.
Date and time don't change.
No WiFi - it appears DHCP isn't working properly.
Cortana works, looks much better in this release. So far, this is the only way to view the interwebs as the news links open in Project Spartan.
Action Centre and settings pages work.
The lock screen doesn't always respond to touch.

I also randomly get a "Updates will install at 3am" toast, but when I check for updates, there aren't any.

That's all that I can remember for now.

My part of Lumia 920 fun,

> Battery lasts 4 hours of heavy use or 8 hours of minimal use.
> At times battery gets very hot while charging but there re times when charging is normal and phone is not even warm
> Powering off works as it should
> Start screen takes 1min at boot to load and then while using the phone sometimes it loads in 3 seconds flat and sometimes it takes 30 seconds.
> Date and time change as they should, automatic date and time correction also works 70% of the time if the phone has good internet connectivity.
> Wifi works well
> Cortana also works well, and looks very polished now than in the last build.
> I too get random alerts to restart for updates to finish installing.

Some bugs that I have encountered:
> Using word flow keyboard many times the screen just blacks out and becomes totally unresponsive. If there is music playing, it continues to play but the phone doesnt respond to any button presses. Soft reset is the only way out to get out of this.
> Unable to download some exciting new keyboards, it just shows "preparing download" forever!

Things that I found awesome in the current build:

> The settings page and its response to touch (unlike the previous build)
> The Music preview app! Just too good!
> The video preview app now can play on my smart tv via DLNA, that's really good!
> The Word, power point and excel preview apps

Some more things I noticed:

> Cant find glance settings anywhere, so I cant change it, it is set to always on since i reset my phone.
> Games app is gone
> Data Usage in Network & Wireless settings is cool new addition
> While having dark theme enabled many settings show white background with white text which makes things unreadable at times.
> Battery Usage under battery saver setting which is under system settings shows how much percentage of system and WiFi resources each app uses which is quite cool. but trying to toggle allow this app to run in the background is unsuccessful.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar series of faults, including a complete loss of sound and being unable to update many apps. After trawling these forums I decided to try a hard reset this way: (Thanks to njnbat for the method.)

1. Power down the device.
2. Press the power key until the device vibrates, then:
3. Immediately press and hold the volume down key until an exclamation mark appears on screen.
4. Press and release the following buttons in order: Volume up, volume down, power, volume down.
5. The device should then vibrate, reboot and go to the spinning gears.

This factory resets the device and don't do it unless you have plenty of battery power or have it on charge.

Since doing this, W10 runs much more smoothly, though it still gets hot when charging.

Good luck.

j_the_geek

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I used to get almost 2 days use before loading W10.

Also noticed the mouse cursor too, I get it when pressing the home button. It appears very briefly.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This is test software. It is not for daily use.

The feedback app exists to let Microsoft know about issues though, so make sure these are reported.

UzEE

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
After what feels like a billion resets, and reinstallations (going back to 8.1 Cyan via WP Recovery Tool and then updating to 10080 again), I was able to get the Start Screen to work. My experience:

• Start Screen now shows up but takes anywhere from a couple of seconds to a minute
  • Battery doesn't seem to last more that 4-5 hours and it doesn't matter if I use the phone or not
  • Phone gets extremely hot during normal use and while charging
  • Everything is just sluggish (my previous Win10 install actually performed better)
  • Cortana loads up but has somehow lost my notebook. Doesn't know a thing about me and has lost all my interests. I'm actually worried about this.
  • Music Preview app looks very promissing.
  • I haven't been able to download the English (US) keyboard as it stays on "Preparing download" for ever
  • There still seems to be a sizing issue as most old items leave significant blank spaces on the screen towards the right and bottom
  • Glance screen has stopped working
  • I also can't change the lookscreen background or set a background on start. The settings app crashes when I try to.
  • Store (beta) fails most of the time when trying to download something
  • I like the direction Outlook Mail and Calendar is taking
  • Photos and OneDrive apps crash when I try to download something to the phone
  • Most new apps don't seem to have a Live Tile or they're not working for me

All said, I'm hopeful that the Insider Preview might become more usable in a couple of months so that we can actually start to give feedback to Microsoft.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
All said, I'm hopeful that the Insider Preview might become more usable in a couple of months so that we can actually start to give feedback to Microsoft

Lol the feedback is already being given :p perhaps you should sign up for the slow ring and just wait it out :)

svaethier

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm loving the new 10080 build on my 920, yea the battery does seem a bit unstable in the sense that it drains fast one time and next it drains slow,glance screen settings disappeared and my phone soft resets itself for some reason but it's rare when it does it. All of these bugs are miniscule compared to all the new features and improvements though,sure it might feel Microsoft took a giant leap forward and four steps back with the bugs but once we're closer to mobile RTM these bugs will be even smaller on size :)

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I found out that if you keep tapping the windows key or the back button, a mouse cursor will appear on the top let corner of the screen, near the data buttons.

Ickis99

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I also noticed the changing battery drain, the fake update warning and the sporadic freezing of the home screen. I wonder if there will be a quick bugfixing update in the next week because apart from that i consider this build a huge improvement over the last one.

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I think it depends upon how you install it, when the first build came out I just upgraded from 8.1 and the experience was drastic, then I saw a proper way of installing . Reset your phone before downloading n installing the new build, then install it and perform another reset, note using backup is not recommended(at least I didn't). Now, I get 20hrs of battery life, used to get 14hrs in 10052, start screen has delays but no loading screens, some apps, like win-central app crashes the phone occasionally, extras setting are unpinned(no access to audio,Dolby digital settings, etc.), still unable to download speech and keyboard languages and some live tiles pinning issue. That's it.
It is pretty much usable. Note that I am using this as my primary device.
Loving it so far.
wp_ss_20150518_0003.png

Last edited:

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I updated my 920 to W10M and enjoyed the process. My don in law is now using it as his android croaked. The one thing I noticed that was odd was that after a few days on 10080 the Cortana tile renamed itself search when pressed she still shows up.

Long Syntax

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
My list for the 10080 build on my AT&T 920:

I get about 6 to 8 hours of moderate to heavy use
Charging phone gets pretty hot
Spartan seems to be the browser that's launched when searching from Cortana - I've had sporadic results using Spartan, but like the direction they're going.
Same here for the scheduled updates toast. I tap on the notification but it doesn't take me anywhere.
I have no glance screen or any facility to access the glance setup - no "Extras" app in All Apps that other users report should be there.
For some weird reason I can't install Candy Crush Saga - it just sits in a pending state for a while, then looks like it had pulled some data down, but then never finishes. Finally it tells me that the app needs attention. I've given up on it and cancelled the download for now.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
this build has been relatively stable for me on my 1520, I did have the infinite loading start screen, went away after i hard reset. I had two miraculous 2 hour battery drains, which was so bad it kept dying on the charger, but after it died a couple times it fixed itself and went back to normal battery consumption, everything else seems to work as it should for the most part, I guess I'm quite lucky haha.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You might have to do what I did OP. Remove everything and allow a fresh download of your apps. My 920 wasn't worth a lick until I retired the phone, then did a restore from scratch. I also had to disable sensitive touch otherwise I would have to launch everything from the app list. Nothing on the desktop would respond to touch until I did that. However, after doing what I did, my 920 got to show off its older flagship bona fides. Windows 10 for phones apps are beautifully done. I really like what MS has done and I hope the next build will allow me to put it on my 1520. I can hardly wait.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
this build has been relatively stable for me on my 1520, I did have the infinite loading start screen, went away after i hard reset. I had two miraculous 2 hour battery drains, which was so bad it kept dying on the charger, but after it died a couple times it fixed itself and went back to normal battery consumption, everything else seems to work as it should for the most part, I guess I'm quite lucky haha.

Nice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99