Windows 10 mobile - the ugliest future...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Randy 217

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I can understand MS making the OS a little more familiar to other OS users in the honeymoon phase of the WM10 roll out. Its seems to me like this whole 10 (PC, Tablet, and Phone) roll out is going to be huge and will get a lot of attention. Quite a bit of that attention will be from reviews / articles from Apple and Android users. If the interface is too unique most of the reviews by these wanna be techs will be negative and a majority of the non-tech non-informed users will stay away. Lets generate a massive user base with the roll out of 10 to insure that it will live on.....
Now for my biggest issue with the latest big windows update.....come on guys can we stick with an idea and play it out completely. What I mean about this is that they seem to start a Mobil OS and instead of offering constant improvements and upgrades they just dump the OS and move to something completely new. It started with my first AT&T Atrix running windows RT. Seems like support for that OS lasted a whole year before low and behold.....they drop Windows Mobile 7. Then a year later they drop Windows Mobile 8. Now were starting at Windows 10. Lets stick with 10 for awhile please. Fully flush out the OS with improvements, not just jump to a whole new OS. Big changes scare many and annoy just as many. This is where they need to take a page from Android and Apple. They constantly make improvements but the interface remains pretty constant. Most of the upgrading is done under the hood. Lets run with Windows 10 and keep it relevant by keeping it updated and improving. Don't just shelve this OS next year because you think we need a big change to gain market share.

Pavstar619

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Haven't used Insider Program yet, but the pictures look good though. I just wanted some key features that Android had like OTG Modem, ALL Video Codec support etc etc. If Microsoft can provide that then Hopefully I don't need to buy an Android Phone after selling my last one. By the way the UI's nice. I don't necessarily like WindowsPhones fully yet cause of being a long time Android User lol. But if MS keeps it's promises and LISTENS TO THE USERS all's good :winktongue:

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Meh I sort of agree that W10 Mobile is pretty... different. But then again it's in development and requires feedback from users, so it'll probably change before the official release.

As for the Me tile, I think I used it 1 time to edit my phone number on it to sync with Outlook. You could always use the People tile instead. Unless there was a feature in the Me tile that I'm missing.

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 is ugly in places, yeah. I don't myself agree with all of the design decisions that are being taken - I get that everything should look unified, but it's losing some of that WP look.

But I know that the phone build, particularly in terms of looks, is way behind that of the PC build. I hope Microsoft listen and incorporate some of this early feedback into plans (that surely they'll already have) to polish up the UI at the end. The functions are mostly in there, now hopefully Microsoft will redecorate in a style that we like and is similar to what we know.

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I can understand MS making the OS a little more familiar to other OS users in the honeymoon phase of the WM10 roll out. Its seems to me like this whole 10 (PC, Tablet, and Phone) roll out is going to be huge and will get a lot of attention. Quite a bit of that attention will be from reviews / articles from Apple and Android users. If the interface is too unique most of the reviews by these wanna be techs will be negative and a majority of the non-tech non-informed users will stay away. Lets generate a massive user base with the roll out of 10 to insure that it will live on.....
Now for my biggest issue with the latest big windows update.....come on guys can we stick with an idea and play it out completely. What I mean about this is that they seem to start a Mobil OS and instead of offering constant improvements and upgrades they just dump the OS and move to something completely new. It started with my first AT&T Atrix running windows RT. Seems like support for that OS lasted a whole year before low and behold.....they drop Windows Mobile 7. Then a year later they drop Windows Mobile 8. Now were starting at Windows 10. Lets stick with 10 for awhile please. Fully flush out the OS with improvements, not just jump to a whole new OS. Big changes scare many and annoy just as many. This is where they need to take a page from Android and Apple. They constantly make improvements but the interface remains pretty constant. Most of the upgrading is done under the hood. Lets run with Windows 10 and keep it relevant by keeping it updated and improving. Don't just shelve this OS next year because you think we need a big change to gain market share.

It looks like your wish should come true - it's been reported before that Windows 10 will be the 'last big version of Windows' for some time, with more frequent minor updates to add new features and improve. No doubt it'll be succeeded at some point by Windows 11 or something, but it'll certainly last for a fair while, more than any of the recent OS versions.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: The ugliest future....

Hard to say. Once the UI gets a consistent look as far as fonts and sizes, it should be better.

Based on what I see right now, it seems to me that a consistent UI is too much to hope for. It's not just about font sizes, nor is it just about the OS itself.
Consistency involves the entire app ecosystem...
Is navigation handled in the same way for all apps, or do some use the hamburger, while some use hubs or misuse pivots, while yet others use the entries in the bottom app bar?
Will ported android apps look and feel like android apps, while ported iOS apps will look and feel like iOS apps?
How many years will it take for the majority of existing WP apps to be updated to the rather different W10 UI design guidelines? Will it even matter, considering all the other inconsistencies?
Consistency seems to be what WP can no longer afford to maintain...

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Well it is a trial version and they want your feedback, and I really see no need to bash it until you see the final released version, you have no idea what it will look like or what features it will have till then.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Well it is a trial version and they want your feedback, and I really see no need to bash it until you see the final released version, you have no idea what it will look like or what features it will have till then.
Do you Seriously belive that they will change just because we want it to.? Look at the past where we have completly rejected some change in preview build but they just have given explanations, nothing else for eg.... The fb integration, games in the app list , music app as an app, not in the OS , etc etc.....you can tell me if you want more examples of it?

matrixcaptain84

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Though I agree with what a lot of you are saying, I have to assume this is what it would have been like if Lollipop was released in a preview/alpha stage like Windows 10 Mobile is. What we are getting now is a very unfinished product, and as we get closer to RTM that polish that is lacking will be added. They are concerned with implementing and testing features and fixing bugs now. Once that is complete, then we will see the focus shift to the UI polish.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Do you Seriously belive that they will change just because we want it to.? Look at the past where we have completly rejected some change in preview build but they just have given explanations, nothing else for eg.... The fb integration, games in the app list , music app as an app, not in the OS , etc etc.....you can tell me if you want more examples of it?

Please define "We".
And off course they do not "listen" if "we" want something which is against the strategy/direction of Microsoft.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Though I agree with what a lot of you are saying, I have to assume this is what it would have been like if Lollipop was released in a preview/alpha stage like Windows 10 Mobile is. What we are getting now is a very unfinished product, and as we get closer to RTM that polish that is lacking will be added. They are concerned with implementing and testing features and fixing bugs now. Once that is complete, then we will see the focus shift to the UI polish.
Hope this happens ( which I am sure is not going to happen)....

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
We means 27000+ developer preview uses who were upset with the game list and voted in the uservoice against it...

Then it's simple, that uservoice was against the company's strategy,
Or do you think if someone started a uservoice with the request to give up the sandboxing and got 1000.000+ votes Microsoft would do it?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
*Sigh* Not another of these threads...

Indeed, I wonder why they're so popular? Oh yes I remember... ;-)

What I don't understand is why we can't have both pivots and a hamburger (optional) for the confused users. The hamburger button could simply swing out the pivot when pressed. Then, once the confused users understand, they can switch off the hamburger in the settings. Most users, the less confused ones, could switch off the hamburger straight away of course.

MS seem allergic to choice these days and I am completely puzzled as to why.

I shall upgrade on my devices to get my foot in the door deal-wise, but unless we see a really major turn around I'll be waiting for Win12 before I move over properly. I'll be imaging my devices back to Win8 as soon as I've ticked the upgrade box until we have an OS that is as good for touch devices as W8. Otherwise, it simply won't be an upgrade in experience or functionality and so would just be pointless and stressful.

A bit like WinXP. I stuck with Win2000 and skipped XP because it did nothing for me that 2000 didn't do and just made the UI all chunky and Disneyfied with searching dog characters and the like. Sticking with 2000 was the perfect solution and was at no point a disadvantage, so I have no concerns advising folk to consider skipping the less necessary releases. Seems like W10 will play out the same way. I hope not, but it does look increasingly likely.

Keen to see the design ideas for Win12. I bet by then it'll be very touch oriented.

So, buy your Win8 devices now so you have a choice whether and how to install W10 (perhaps under Hyper-V). Don't wait and risk being locked in by the MS choice killers.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Though I agree with what a lot of you are saying, I have to assume this is what it would have been like if Lollipop was released in a preview/alpha stage like Windows 10 Mobile is.

Lollipop was pre released, actually, to a limited number of devices officially. The dev community took it and ran away with it, putting it on a lot of other devices before it was officially released. It was actually quite stable, and the original preview version was very close to the final release. I used the official pre release on my Nexus 7, and the only issues I had were with an app or two.

When I read people saying here how this an early released and a lot of things will be changed, I question how much this will happen to the UI. I actually believe that the UI we see now is pretty much what we're going to see in the initial release. Of course, I expect a lot of bug squashing and adding features before then, but I would venture a guess that as far as appearance/UI, this is pretty much what we're going to get. How much has changed from the very first release until this one?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I fear you are right, but I still hope you are wrong. Moving from Win7 to Win8 felt as big as moving from Win2 to Win3. I couldn't consider stepping back from the modern touch interface any more than I could have faced using Win2 again after tasting Win3.

Miguel Correia

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Same as been said of the previous os versions, people really have problems to embrace a change. In my opinion W10 is going good it shows potential, huge potential. I really hope that they fix some serious flaws tho. However i don't think that windows users are facing an ugly future at all. Keep in mind that we have only deal with preview versions of the OS. With some polish, W10 will nail it i'm pretty sure of it. The only thing that doesn't really makes sense to me its the name "Windows 10" i'd rather call it "Windows".

Jibily

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
You never used it because msft made it useless..... It was my most loving point in windows phone 8.

I've been using Windows Phone since windows phone 7. Windows Phone __ is the only smartphone OS I have ever used.
... And I have never once used the Me Tile. Best feature? Hardly. Not even a noteworthy one.

Last edited:

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why killing the Me Tile is so bad. MS basically gutted it in the 8.1 upgrade when they pretty much neutered the FB integration. I don't recall it ever having twitter or Linkedin capabilities. After a point it was easier for me to just go straight to the app I needed instead of scrolling through a tile with my picture on it.

The only ugly future is one where Windows 10 for Phones doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb