Delete outlook.com account from Mail

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm running build 10074 and was forced to switch my local user account to a Microsoft account in order to give Cortana a try (there is no way to sign in seperately for Cortana, it's either all (aka use a Microsoft account to login) or nothing). This, in return, has led to both OneDrive (which I don't give a rat's a** about) configuring itself and launching automatically and my outlook.com email address showing up in Windows Mail (for which even a rat's a** would be way to much praise). I was able to disable OneDrive but I seem to be powerless when it comes to Mail. I can delete the account under settings - accounts alright but it's back again after a reboot. It's also the preselected main account whenever I launch Mail and, to be honest, rather bothersome.

The way I see it there are two ways to solve this - either get rid of the outlook.com account for good or unlink my account, return to a local acount and disable Cortana for good. Any ideas?

YanivC

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I guess Im not udnersatnding what the problem is. Are you saying you want to use the mail app but dont want your account to show up?
Or youre saying you dont want the mail app at all?

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm saying that I want the mail app but I don't want the outlook.com account to show up in that app. I'm using Gmail and am not going to switch to Microsoft simply because they're forcing their services down my throat :wink:

In Windows 8.1 Mail there was no way to use the application without a Microsoft account configured first before any additional other accounts (be that Gmail, IMAP, Exchange, etc.) but at least one could disable the Microsoft account email sync afterwards so it didn't show up in the application. There seems to be no way to achieve that in Windows 10 Mail but there is a button "Delete Account" now. However it only works until I reboot.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
It definitely has to do something with me switching my local account to a Microsoft account. I've created a second account, local only, and do not get the Outlook account in Mail forced onto me. So for me it's either Cortana or Mail, and since Cortana is completely useless anyway I have no hard feelings disconnecting my local account from my Microsoft account :wink:

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
This bug has been "fixed" in Build 10130 - I can now no longer delete the outlook.com account from Mail :straight:
I can, however, disable email sync which is a workaround I can live with.

StarrWulfe

Aug 29, 2002
j7.textamerica.com
Rehashing this topic once again because I changed my MSA from using my Hotmail address which had my "handle" to my outlook.com address which uses my actual name and is more "professional" looking.

Now Mail shows a ⚠ saying I need to delete and re-add the account for the changes to show up... But there's no way to do that with an Outlook account!!

How do I do this and why the heck does Mail NOT have a way to simply set the "reply to" field to whatever anyway?
:angry:

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I think that Mail needs some improvements to make it more attractive to use. It's overly simplistic in most regards, in my opinion.
Does anyone know if Outlook 2013 plays well with mail from outlook.com?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel