Microsoft Lumia 940 - USA Release Hopes

ThermoDust

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I know many of you, like myself, are awaiting a new flagship phone. My biggest concern with most releases of Windows flagship phones are how they get released in the USA. In general, only one carrier or a limited amount of carriers will get them.

What I would really hope for, is the next flagship phone be available on all carriers. When do you think is the time to speak out about this? Should we voice our hopes to Microsoft to release it on their website for multiple carriers or should we beg the carriers to make it available on release day?

What I am saying is I don't want another case of the 930(Icon) where anyone not on Verizon is left in the dark or they have to go with the international version that did not support our LTE bands here in the states.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I hope they release them on all four of the main carriers too.

I personally think the 930 should've been given to AT&T if it were only gonna be on one carrier. It would've most likely stayed around longer, got updates sooner, and even come in all its colors like the 1520 & 920

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Carriers rule in the US, save your breath as it wont make one bit of difference. They will decide how the phones get released and no amount of "speaking out" will change anything.

ThermoDust

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Carriers rule in the US, save your breath as it wont make one bit of difference. They will decide how the phones get released and no amount of "speaking out" will change anything.

I would say your statement is only part true. If enough people in a given market start rocking the boat they might cave in. They may not have it in their stores, but they may carry it online. The only reason I would agree with you on this point is most carriers love to shove their own stuff on the phone to make it different from the other carriers when it reality it should be the quality of their network that attracts a person, not a phone.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I would say your statement is only part true. If enough people in a given market start rocking the boat they might cave in. They may not have it in their stores, but they may carry it online. The only reason I would agree with you on this point is most carriers love to shove their own stuff on the phone to make it different from the other carriers when it reality it should be the quality of their network that attracts a person, not a phone.

But how are you going to rock the boat when the carriers themselves do their utmost not to sell WP devices? Case in point, the 640. Announced for a few US carriers months ago yet currently only available from one, and the next one allegedly will only sell it online with no in-store presence. Hardly what WP users want but carriers do pretty much what they want.

Plus US users are the most carrier dependent buyers I have come across, and even spending $240 to get the unlocked version is deemed too expensive. I have an unlocked 1520.3 which works fully on Tmo but left to the carriers, I wouldn't have that choice. Until you can convince people en masse to abandon carrier branded devices the carriers will always have control.

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
For the flagships, they should at least sell a version on Microsoft Store unlocked with "Worldmode LTE" so you could use it anywhere with any carrier, that would be a big plus/selling point if it were included.

ThermoDust

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
But how are you going to rock the boat when the carriers themselves do their utmost not to sell WP devices? Case in point, the 640. Announced for a few US carriers months ago yet currently only available from one, and the next one allegedly will only sell it online with no in-store presence. Hardly what WP users want but carriers do pretty much what they want.

Plus US users are the most carrier dependent buyers I have come across, and even spending $240 to get the unlocked version is deemed too expensive. I have an unlocked 1520.3 which works fully on Tmo but left to the carriers, I wouldn't have that choice. Until you can convince people en masse to abandon carrier branded devices the carriers will always have control.

I cannot disagree with you on any of these points. As I agree 100% that the carriers have all of the power. When people are so used to going into the store and asking the sales people for advice and when they ask about a Windows Phone and the sales person has have little to no clue doesn't help. Or worse what you said, they only have it online only (T-Mobile 640 Release). But we have to start some where. Having a phone that CAN run on all networks is a start.

For the flagships, they should at least sell a version on Microsoft Store unlocked with "Worldmode LTE" so you could use it anywhere with any carrier, that would be a big plus/selling point if it were included.

There couldn't ever be a Worldwide LTE as many places use different bands. But we can have multiple versions as an option if the person orders it custom or something.

Last edited:

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm not holding my breath. I'm sure MS will give ATT at least a six month exclusive.

Which will help save me from myself. That should give me enough time to have W10 on my 930 to see if I like it enough to upgrade or abandon ship.

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
There couldn't ever be a Worldwide LTE as many places use different bands. But we can have multiple versions as an option if the person orders it custom or something.

Well I remember reading an article about an OEM (I think based out of China) selling a smartphone with "Worldmode LTE" that supposedly supports the majority of cell bands.
Might be expensive and/or clunky but it 'IS' doable. I guess the question is if it's feasible yet.

sst154

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Well I remember reading an article about an OEM (I think based out of China) selling a smartphone with "Worldmode LTE" that supposedly supports the majority of cell bands.
Might be expensive and/or clunky but it 'IS' doable. I guess the question is if it's feasible yet.

Isn't iphone 6 "Worlwide LTE"?

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Forget the carriers for a second...how is it that I can't even find a Lumia 640 / 640XL on display at the Microsoft store? Even if they can't sell them unlocked yet due to carrier agreements, why can't they demo them early like they did for the Surface 3? I went to the Microsoft Store in Raleigh this past weekend and still could not see a single Microsoft branded Lumia on display. Have to go to the local Wal Mart for that.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Actually it's possible as there 40 odd LTE bands however there are a few prevalent bands out the 40 but it does mean a lot more low level testing on the flipside you have one model to test. So therefore for example you could have one model for Asia (where LTE is not prevalent yet) and another for countries with more disposable income (LTE is more prevalent).

The problem here is that US has both CDMA & GSM carriers, if all the US carriers used GSM then it would be much simpler and easier to adopt the aforesaid approach.

Forget the carriers for a second...how is it that I can't even find a Lumia 640 / 640XL on display at the Microsoft store? Even if they can't sell them unlocked yet due to carrier agreements, why can't they demo them early like they did for the Surface 3? I went to the Microsoft Store in Raleigh this past weekend and still could not see a single Microsoft branded Lumia on display. Have to go to the local Wal Mart for that.

That is just bad if true, not saying your lying however anyone can just post on the internet so pics or didn't happen :winktongue:.... as at least the Lumia 535 should have been on display.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

You are so naive. Carriers don't give an excrement what you, or "enough people" think. How things get decided is way outside the paygrade of us mere consumer drones. Just look at the 810, arguably the best TM phone ever....................which they dropped like a hot rock, never incorporating WFC, which they did with the barebones 521.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720