Critical Error

Robert Morrison2

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
Critical Error
A critical error has occurred in the Shell Infrastructure Host Start Menu, Cortana, and some apps may not be available. Please save your work and sign-out to recover.

Sign out now

The above message appears immediately after I have logged into my account on the PC.

The instruction at 0x00007FFF7DE8CC60 referenced memory at 0x000000000000000. The memory could not be read.

Click OK to terminate the program.

The above message appears when logging out of my wife?s account on the same PC.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem. A few reboots later it was okay. Create a new user account so you can use that one to check if there are any updates available. Also, yes it mostly only happens in one account. I have two accounts; one main account, most things don't work (cortana, settings, notification center, search or start menu) and one separate account. In the separate account everything works just fine, so I use that one for any updates

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Hey, I'm not sure if this is a solid solution but I tried this and it worked. I created a new folder on the desktop so I could gain access to my computer. I uninstalled all the Microsoft Redistributable Packages and installed the latest Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 (only vcredist_x64.exe & vcredist_x86.exe). Then rebooted my computer and it worked like a charm.

You can use task manager to run a new task, open up "iexplore.exe"

Dhruvansh Soni

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue about half an hour ago. Signing out and signing in didn't work, but restarting (using the power button) worked and it's now not showing me the error. Hopefully it'll stay that way. There's a lot of threads on Microsoft's site with the same problem too. I get a different looking error message when I shutdown though, still dunno what that's about.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e/5429f158-fec1-438a-8700-1883f0af06f8?page=1

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...he-shell/78690b3f-8241-4c88-92f9-054aeff13bef

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I'm not sure if this is a solid solution but I tried this and it worked. I created a new folder on the desktop so I could gain access to my computer. I uninstalled all the Microsoft Redistributable Packages and installed the latest Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 (only vcredist_x64.exe & vcredist_x86.exe). Then rebooted my computer and it worked like a charm.

That ain't it. I only have two things on my list...and I only have a touch screen so those ideas in the links really don't help. I'm on a DVP8 and have only had this issue on 130... Big issue so close to launch.

You can use task manager to run a new task, open up "iexplore.exe"

Dhruvansh Soni

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Haven't had the issue on build 10159 unless File Explorer is started as admin (only happens if you use a game booster or something like that). Looks like they've fixed it. In 10130 however disabling Cortana did the trick. Now even with Cortana on 10159, it works just fine. If you get that error on 10159, just hold the taskbar or whatever it is to do a right click type thing, open task manager and restart explore.exe. That should work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium