What direction is Windows Mobile going in?

RellD05

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty worried about the direction it;s going in also. If you've used any of the W10 previews for phones, you've noticed that it seems like ALL of the core apps are being turned into cheap feeling Webapps, The Store, Music, and Cortana apps all feel totally disconnected from the rest of the OS. I feel like I'm using a web wrapper. It completely kills one of the things that drew me to Windows Phone in the first place.

I still want to see what they bring in the fall as far as a finished Os and new hardware, but with my contract being up in September, it's do or die for Windows Phone for me this year.

(Sidenote: when the hell did it become "Windows 10 Mobile"??)

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the sinking ship too but I have to ask where you got 100,000,000 WP shipped? It's not even close to that - 10.2m Lumias last Quarter.

But its not total phones shipped that worries me. MS isn't going anywhere. They make billions a year. It's the market share number that we have to worry about - its at 3% now Global market share.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty worried about the direction it;s going in also. If you've used any of the W10 previews for phones, you've noticed that it seems like ALL of the core apps are being turned into cheap feeling Webapps, The Store, Music, and Cortana apps all feel totally disconnected from the rest of the OS. I feel like I'm using a web wrapper. It completely kills one of the things that drew me to Windows Phone in the first place.

I still want to see what they bring in the fall as far as a finished Os and new hardware, but with my contract being up in September, it's do or die for Windows Phone for me this year.

(Sidenote: when the hell did it become "Windows 10 Mobile"??)

Agreed.

I'm gonna stay on 8.1 until I'm kicked off, then its back to Android.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
WP has no market share because they don't market. WP has no apps because there is no market share. There is no market share because no one wants to make apps for it. No one REALLY wants to make apps for it because of how different WP is. By making WP10 "universal" at being able to run IOS and Droid apps, the above is irrelevant now. Lets see if they just market it. MS goal is to make money, not make the 3% market share happy.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The direction W10 is going:

hamburger menu trash small.jpg

Conversation I had with a friend:

Friend: So what's new in Windows 10 Mobile?

Me: Well the big thing is that the apps all share the same store and run across devices.

Friend: Cool.

Me: Yeah, but they all look like cheaply made mobile websites and have an annoying hamburger menu in the upper left corner.

Friend: Oh, that sucks. What else?

Me: They made the profile pictures into circles. They're no longer squares.

Friend: Why did they do that?

Me: Some MS guy said it's because people are not squares.

Friend: That's a pretty lame reason.

Me: Tell me about it.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
WP has no market share because they don't market. WP has no apps because there is no market share. There is no market share because no one wants to make apps for it. No one REALLY wants to make apps for it because of how different WP is. By making WP10 "universal" at being able to run IOS and Droid apps, the above is irrelevant now. Lets see if they just market it. MS goal is to make money, not make the 3% market share happy.

Agree with most , but the App Gap story is an old one and not true anymore. There are good native and /or 3rd party apps for 95% of what people really want. OK, a game or two is missing, but most don't care about that. It's an easy way to complain about a nonissue.

The "missing apps" story is what the jokers at BRG and The Verge mention when they put down their iphones to "review" a WP. It's lazy journalism.

....just my opinion.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Agree with most , but the App Gap story is an old one and not true anymore. There are good native and /or 3rd party apps for 95% of what people really want. OK, a game or two is missing, but most don't care about that. It's an easy way to complain about a nonissue.

The "missing apps" story is what the jokers at BRG and The Verge mention when they put down their iphones to "review" a WP. It's lazy journalism.

....just my opinion.

The apps that are missing are those for banks in the US. I have banking apps for both of my banks (US Bank and Third Federal) for Android, but neither of those banks ever had Windows Phone apps; they are not banks that had apps, but pulled them.

Other missing apps are those for stores: Walmart, Sam's Club, Macy's, Target, Giant Eagle (a regional grocery store), CVS, RiteAid, Sheetz, Speedway.

Skinnyman9000

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Over in the UK the only WP ads we get are for cortana, nothing about the actual phones.

See, I know the flagship phones for Apple, HTC, Samsung etc, but I have no idea what the current WP flagship is, they don't bother to tell anyone, I have to go digging around online to find out. So this means that when the average person goes into a phone store to buy a new phone they instantly dismiss the WP options, as they don't even know what they are.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I think MS dropped the ball on it. they were lacking clear vision, started to go back n forth with things and lost positive momentum. This momentum was clear when Nokia jumped on board, but it was a long road to go and Microsoft just couldnt move fast enough, started to fell behind and eventually dropped the whole ball.

Windows Phone is now 5 years!!! old and you still arent able to edit forwarded emails. Or look at the office on Windows Phone, Excel is like a poor third party app thats so cripled its not even funny.

I think its game over.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Whichever way they are going, I will be putting on my wait and see mode. Not rushing into getting new W10 phones until the app selections as well as the market shares are getting better and more recognized. If W10 for phones stays the same as 3% like it is now, then bye bye Windows Phone.

DancingDave

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Whichever way they are going, I will be putting on my wait and see mode. Not rushing into getting new W10 phones until the app selections as well as the market shares are getting better and more recognized. If W10 for phones stays the same as 3% like it is now, then bye bye Windows Phone.

It might surprise you but WP is not at 3% anymore. In Q1/2015 it was at 2.5%. In Q2/2015 it'll probably be nearer to two percent marketshare than at three percent. Alone in the US Windows Phone lost about one fifth of its marketshare within just three months this year.

Even if people say that WP has 95% of the apps, the app gap is still huge. Especially when it comes to local and regional apps.

For example in Germany you can't even buy a ticket for public transport with WP. With the Android and iOS apps you just jump on the bus and buy the ticket online using an app. In some cities there are even public transport apps that realize where you jump on and off and charge you automatically. Of course also only available for Android and iOS.

Then there are lots of regional and mainstream newspapers, banks, etc. that don't have WP apps. Yea true, the big apps are there. But people are looking a lot for regional apps nowadays. And they simply don't exist for WP. At least not in Germany.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely love WP8.1...have been back n forth from Iphone/Android/WP for ages, OK i own a Nexus tablet for my app needs, but when im out and about I dont take it with me, the WP in my case was the Nokia 930, was an amazing phone, but its just let down by the lack of apps or app updates compared to both Android and iOS.

OK most of the apps are there on the WP store, but just a few examples, I arrive at an exhibition, you can simply download the exhibition app from either the Android Play store and Apple store, but nothing from the WP store, also you can get the Ebay app, but its functionality doesn't even allow responses to offers, it simply states please view the web version of ebay, Words with friends is there, but its almost like the two year old beta when it first came out on the other stores and no other online with friends type games exist.

Funny enough, most people of my age 40 plus, seem to be happy enough with facebook and twitter and I would say WP8.1 covers this very well, especially with the people hub, but speaking to my 18 year old cousin yesterday, they don't touch Facebook and hardly use twitter now, its all this SnapChat thing, he said he used to have a Windows phone, but got rid of it due to no support for Snapchat and a lot of other apps, if only Microsoft could stop faffing about with trying to change an OS that works perfectly well and in a unique different way to anything else and simply get the app support people want, things would be perfect and i would still own a Windows phone and not a bloomin Iphone again.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Still, the problem is bigger than that. Most people who switch from Droid or Apple to Windows usually stays with Windows.

That sort of depends on the user. Some float around a lot and try all three OS. Some stay with WP because they don't care about the latest and greatest and just want something to use. Others move on because WP lacks xyz app or customization or feature.

Some of us on here have switched to Android simply because we were waiting for a flagship WP and none came that suited us. We also didn't mind trying out Android as it was new for many of us. Those who have switched have been quite surprised, myself included, at just how good Android is. I'm not using a low end device but there are well priced top grade Android devices which offers a very nice experience.

And like Laura said, you can customize it to your hearts content if that's what you want to do.

Norris Rochelle

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
If we're talking about the Droid home screen, the most you can get is widgets. Other than that you can customize a Droid much more than any phone out there.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If we're talking about the Droid home screen, the most you can get is widgets. Other than that you can customize a Droid much more than any phone out there.

You don't seem to understand the idea behind launchers. I can make my Android look like Windows Phone if I wanted to along with many other launchers out there.. You can't do that with WP or iPhone.

That's not even touching custom ROMs.

Widgets are a nice too and I like them but that's not what Laura was talking about.

Norris Rochelle

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I know about launchers. I didn't mention it because it didn't come across my mind. I have a launcher on my Galaxy S3 that makes it look like a windows phone. Alas, Windows phone is still superior to Droid.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I know about launchers. I didn't mention it because it didn't come across my mind. I have a launcher on my Galaxy S3 that makes it look like a windows phone. Alas, Windows phone is still superior to Droid.

But that's what Laura was talking about.

In any case. To each their own. I'm quite happy on Android for the time being until WP matures, if it matures. I'm not trying to push anything on anyone. I don't like the whole 'my OS is better than yours' I went through that nonsense with Windows and MAC in the 90s. I'm a little over it now. I like choice. I'm not interested in iOS but if I ever had to use one I would.

Neill Baldwin

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I really was one of those guys that always said I had the apps I needed and that's all that matters. However since I've picked up the G4 I've discovered the are useful apps I missed on Windows. Some have mentioned bank apps, my work has an online application for employees but just Apple and Android. Then there are the frivolous apps like wallpapers, etc...
Still the biggest reason for me switching was the lack of a flagship phone. Iknow one should be coming soon but the bottom line is, at this point I just don't trust Microsoft to produce.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Almost a year ago I put aside 1200$ to upgrade my two phones, Nokia 820 and a Moto G LTE. I have been waiting on a upgrade for my 820 since then. The 830 came and went as I just did not believe (and still don't) it was much of an upgrade for the price they were asking for it. Now it looks like I would be happy with a 640/640XL. Again not much of an upgrade; but a good sidegrade at a good price. Try to find one. You can't even get them from Microsofts own store. Cricket does have them; but Cricket has the worst upgrade record of any carrier, even T-Mobile. I am not worried if Microsoft does not make it in the mobile market, I will just stay with my other half Android. But it sure does seem like a hell of a waste of time. Just as a side note; I still have not gotten the upgrade to Lollipop for my Moto G. Should I try Apple. Not in this lifetime. I'd go back to two tin cans and a string before that happens. looks like I'll be staying with a Windows phone (as long as they exist) and a Android phone. Oh by the way, I don't have a single Google app on my Android. My wife will not part with her 925 for anything so here we stand. Waiting, waiting, waiting etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)