What direction is Windows Mobile going in?

Carl Anderson

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Agree with most , but the App Gap story is an old one and not true anymore. There are good native and /or 3rd party apps for 95% of what people really want. OK, a game or two is missing, but most don't care about that. It's an easy way to complain about a nonissue.

For me, the two apps I use the most on my Windows Phone have not been updated in a long time, while I see updates and feature adds all the time for the Android counterparts. Those apps are Fly Delta and Golf Logix.

I am willing to try a 640 for a year or so, and then jump if there isn't progress made on the apps I use, so the App Gap is real for me.

Also, my little CU doesn't have a windows phone app, but does on Android.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Where are we headed? Unification.

Windows and Windows Phone have merged. Cortana, Notifications etc. or the desktop. And Desktop apps on the phone. Same USB subsystem etc. You may not want it, but you asked where Windows Phone was going.

What benefits does this give us?

Common apps like Office - anyone who has used the new Word, Excel etc. the MSN apps think they are great. Likely the hidden gems of WM10. We also have new capabilities like Continuum. And simpler app development by everyone. With shared drivers for hardware - USB/Bluetooth etc.

What is new in WM10? Android and iOS app recompilation capability. Edge browser - this is huge as the mobile website compatibility is now excellent. HLS streaming like an iPhone opens many media sites etc. Integrated Maps/navigation etc.

Lots of tiny tweaks like interactive notifications and better notification support bring the OS up to current spec.

What else do you want?

Apps. Let's fact it, people are mostly happy with the core OS. All current platforms are now about the same. Primary deficiency has always been apps. The new compatibility paths may improve this and help with this aspect. Time will tell.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Total (lifetime), WP7 on up. Probably more, but still, it gives you a good idea of how many people CHOSE the 3rd place mobile OS.

Even little things...notification center...come late to the party, and do a barebones, plain Jane implementation of it. Dink around with the dialer and make some terrible UX decisions but not actually add features people have been begging for.

Of course now, they are spelling "Apps ->" on the Start screen. I'm pretty sure anyone who couldn't figure it out before, won't be able to read that. :p

I'm on the sinking ship too but I have to ask where you got 100,000,000 WP shipped? It's not even close to that - 10.2m Lumias last Quarter.

But its not total phones shipped that worries me. MS isn't going anywhere. They make billions a year. It's the market share number that we have to worry about - its at 3% now Global market share.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You don't seem to understand the idea behind launchers. I can make my Android look like Windows Phone if I wanted to along with many other launchers out there.. You can't do that with WP or iPhone.

That's not even touching custom ROMs.

Widgets are a nice too and I like them but that's not what Laura was talking about.
Yes, I was talking about launchers, not widgets.

Here are a few pictures of my screens on my Nexus 7.

I only have 2 widgets, the 1Weather widget on one screen, and the default clock widget on the other screen.

Notice how I put all my most used apps into folders which I put in the dock, so that I have a clean screen that shows off my wallpaper.

The launcher I'm using is Nova Launcher Prime.

I really haven't done a lot of customization like changing the fonts or icons, but this gives the idea.

Screenshot_2015-06-23-02-22-53.jpg

Screenshot_2015-06-23-02-23-00.jpg

Screenshot_2015-06-23-02-26-36.jpg

Last edited:

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
The apps that are missing are those for banks in the US. I have banking apps for both of my banks (US Bank and Third Federal) for Android, but neither of those banks ever had Windows Phone apps; they are not banks that had apps, but pulled them.

Other missing apps are those for stores: Walmart, Sam's Club, Macy's, Target, Giant Eagle (a regional grocery store), CVS, RiteAid, Sheetz, Speedway.

I don't know why but it looks like USA actually doesn't like MS in general. Here in India, WP doesn't have that much significant market share but still I have almost all banking apps, online store apps with full functionality, IRCTC app which is way better than its Android counter part & also local games. Yup, iOS is not even close to WP marketshare in India & it also gets all the apps, too. It's not like the platform is having low marketshare so we won't develop app, you're leaving behind potential customers & a simple app doesn't cost that much to these giants.

IMO, US companies & devspaiberately ignoring WP or they don't know how to do business & I believe it's former.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I was talking about launchers, not widgets.

Here are a few pictures of my screens on my Nexus 7.

I only have 2 widgets, the 1Weather widget on one screen, and the default clock widget on the other screen.

Notice how I put all my most used apps into folders which I put in the dock, so that I have a clean screen that shows off my wallpaper.

The launcher I'm using is Nova Launcher Prime.

I really haven't done a lot of customization like changing the fonts or icons, but this gives the idea.

View attachment 106924

View attachment 106925

View attachment 106926

In Windows 10, we can set background wallpaper & can make tiles transperant, if you don't put any tiles except the 2 widgets you want & just leave whole screen covered by wallpaper only, you can have similar design in WM10, too. In fact I remember 1 member here posted a beautiful ss of his start screen in WM10.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm very much excited & happy the way Windows is going. It's now having complete feature parity with competitors & in many aspects it trounce Android & iOS. With Universal App & Continnum , I believe it would be great experience for users ahead. I do even like new UI, unnecessary big fonts have been removed.

KSilcox

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Where are we headed? Unification.

Windows and Windows Phone have merged. Cortana, Notifications etc. or the desktop. And Desktop apps on the phone. Same USB subsystem etc. You may not want it, but you asked where Windows Phone was going.

What benefits does this give us?

Common apps like Office - anyone who has used the new Word, Excel etc. the MSN apps think they are great. Likely the hidden gems of WM10. We also have new capabilities like Continuum. And simpler app development by everyone. With shared drivers for hardware - USB/Bluetooth etc.

What is new in WM10? Android and iOS app recompilation capability. Edge browser - this is huge as the mobile website compatibility is now excellent. HLS streaming like an iPhone opens many media sites etc. Integrated Maps/navigation etc.

Lots of tiny tweaks like interactive notifications and better notification support bring the OS up to current spec.

What else do you want?

Apps. Let's fact it, people are mostly happy with the core OS. All current platforms are now about the same. Primary deficiency has always been apps. The new compatibility paths may improve this and help with this aspect. Time will tell.

This is correct. The fact that the phone now runs the exact same core software (Windows 10) as your pc, laptop, xbox, hololense, etc is HUGE. For developers they only have to code once, for the biggest platform in the world which is Windows and that same software will run on any other device that runs Windows 10 (which is everything). It's a game changer.

I'm super excited for Microsoft's future including the phones.

owensdj

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I agree with KSilcox. Windows 10 is going to bring a ton of developer momentum to Windows 10 Mobile due to Microsoft's work creating a Universal Windows Platform. They're also working on two projects that will allow Android and iOS developers to easily port their apps to Windows 10.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
This is correct. The fact that the phone now runs the exact same core software (Windows 10) as your pc, laptop, xbox, hololense, etc is HUGE. For developers they only have to code once, for the biggest platform in the world which is Windows and that same software will run on any other device that runs Windows 10 (which is everything). It's a game changer.

I'm super excited for Microsoft's future including the phones.

I agree with KSilcox. Windows 10 is going to bring a ton of developer momentum to Windows 10 Mobile due to Microsoft's work creating a Universal Windows Platform. They're also working on two projects that will allow Android and iOS developers to easily port their apps to Windows 10.

Though I am hoping for great things with W10 and I see the one comment is made by a developer. I am still a touch sceptical as to how this will attract developers.

I'll explain it this way.

One, WP numbers are still small at this point. Doesn't mean it won't change but currently ~3% of world wide market. Hasn't changed much.

Two, we don't know the numbers of people who actually use the Windows 8.1 Store (PC) and the apps there. Judging by the complaints of the Start screen, the lack of interest in it and even my personal use. I get the feeling the numbers probably aren't that big currently.

Again, that's not saying it wouldn't change with W10 but any large developer is going to want to know how things are and how MS sees things in the future.

Yes it's a game changer but is it as big as people think it is? That's my question. I don't personally see a rush happening I see more of the same. Developers waiting and seeing.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Though I am hoping for great things with W10 and I see the one comment is made by a developer. I am still a touch sceptical as to how this will attract developers.

I'll explain it this way.

One, WP numbers are still small at this point. Doesn't mean it won't change but currently ~3% of world wide market. Hasn't changed much.

Two, we don't know the numbers of people who actually use the Windows 8.1 Store (PC) and the apps there. Judging by the complaints of the Start screen, the lack of interest in it and even my personal use. I get the feeling the numbers probably aren't that big currently.

Again, that's not saying it wouldn't change with W10 but any large developer is going to want to know how things are and how MS sees things in the future.

Yes it's a game changer but is it as big as people think it is? That's my question. I don't personally see a rush happening I see more of the same. Developers waiting and seeing.

The "app gap" is present but I do not really suffer that much of "missing" apps. What I already noticed is that W10 had already some useful native apps.
Alarms+clocks.
Has ability to use music as alarm, has a native timer and world clock.
Calculater.
Has al kind of calculated option and conversions.
Maps.
Has now build-in navigation (as preparation for "loosing" HERE?)
Build in audio recorder.
Outlook mail and calendar.

So above native apps "prevent" for me the need for numerous (new) apps which basically do the same.

Or in other words the "app gap" is already decreased.
And I do not expect and explosion of "w10" apps but I am sure that it will at least not increase the "app gap".

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The "app gap" is present but I do not really suffer that much of "missing" apps. What I already noticed is that W10 had already some useful native apps.
Alarms+clocks.
Has ability to use music as alarm, has a native timer and world clock.
Calculater.
Has al kind of calculated option and conversions.
Maps.
Has now build-in navigation (as preparation for "loosing" HERE?)
Build in audio recorder.
Outlook mail and calendar.

So above native apps "prevent" for me the need for numerous (new) apps which basically do the same.

Or in other words the "app gap" is already decreased.
And I do not expect and explosion of "w10" apps but I am sure that it will at least not increase the "app gap".

The 'app gap' is dependant on the user. It's a personal thing. To some it means a lot. To others it's nothing. Just depends on what your expectations are.

Personally many people talk of 'choice' when it comes to functionality of the OS. To me choice can be filled by apps in some cases, the OS can only provide so much. Doesn't mean that you can't like the native apps but a choice is always a good thing.

My 'app gap' was fairly small. I didn't leave (not that I've really left) WP because of apps. I left because of device choice. I would have been happy to stick with WP.

Saying that I've enjoyed learning a new OS and seeing what's out there. :)

I haven't bothered much with W10. I'm waiting for RTM myself. Then I'll decide from there. To me there's simply too much left unknown.

AbsoluteSith

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I think these doubts are mostly there because its been long since windows came up with a flagship that threatened the likes of Apple and Samsung.
Windows already was late to the party and is suffering because of it but it has to realize it is doing the same thing again with the delay of win10 for phones. I hope they learn from their mistakes. And they should give developers some flexibility when it comes to creating apps. Limiting the eco-system to a large extent will eventually kill the system.

werner6769

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I at least hope that the functionality becomes on par with the other platforms. I do understand the keep it simple philosophy but not having basic tools like built in stopwatch, voice recording, ability to edit .doc files in word etc is frustrating.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I at least hope that the functionality becomes on par with the other platforms. I do understand the keep it simple philosophy but not having basic tools like built in stopwatch, voice recording, ability to edit .doc files in word etc is frustrating.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Ironically all those concerns you just mentioned are addressed in the latest Windows 10 technical preview 10149. They are definitely headed in the right direction from what I see. This build is usable, quicker and much more polished than previous builds. I'm going to put my SIM card into my 635 & test drive it for a day while at work and see how it works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss