I was bored so my 920 is running 10136

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I posted about being out of the tp game and for all intents and purposes, I still am. But last night I was board and reset my 920. I mean it is MY 920 after all. I couldn't know it had problems and leave it sit there. So I decided to return it to 8.1 and when the apps reinstalled, so did Windows Insider.
I already read how much better 10136 was so if it didn't work out, no biggy. Its not my daily driver. My 1520 is. So true to form, I let it rip on the fast track. 10136 installed.
I put it on my charger and went off to do Cities: Skylines as I do a little bit each night. When I picked it up again. OMG.

What I never counted on was this phone to function worth a dog gone. I was wrong. It looks gorgeous. What I found to be really stunning was the Microsoft weather app. That app is a stunner too. It needs a live tile but the app itself, is beautiful.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Glad you like it. I'm still not puttin preview builds on my phone. They'll be crap all the way untill final release. That's just the way it is. Even PC builds don't work well for me.
Can't wait to get the final builds, though.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Glad you like it. I'm still not puttin preview builds on my phone. They'll be crap all the way untill final release. That's just the way it is. Even PC builds don't work well for me.
Can't wait to get the final builds, though.
If you were talking about build 10080 I would have to agree with the word "crap". This 10136, however, is a different animal altogether. It runs really well on my 930. Despite not being able to get the trainer app to recognize my voice for "hey Cortana", would not roll back from this build. (I miss "hey Cortana" lot though!). At OP...glad you like it.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
... At OP...glad you like it.

Thanks Marybeth. I posted this in another thread but it bears repeating...I think :)

Since my 920 was basically sitting there in an altered state, I decided to roll back to 8.1 and install 10136. After installing it, and you get to tiles again, initially, the phone isn't really yours to use yet. Not really. I mean it'll work and all the menus are there but something continues to go on in the background, of what I don't know. I noticed the battery indicator is unreliable in that it would seem to drop to almost 14 percent in a few hours but if you reboot, its back to full. So I figured something must be going on yet.

By then end of the night, that behind the scenes activity seemed to have settled down and BOOM, its a brand new phone. It takes a few minutes to get used to the new look and feel but it becomes natural feeling in no time. I would NOT recommend any prior TP build for any device. I could recommend this build. Not perfect though, I found the people app dodgy at times. Touch could be snappier but usability was there and battery went all day. I can't speak to the camera just yet because I haven't examined the photos but the camera does take pics. Wireless charging worked normally and the tiles seem to continue to get better. The music app and MS weather app is stunningly beautiful. Love the calendar too.
If it looks this good on my aging 920, how well would it perform on NEW hardware and chipsets? We shall see.

Screen caps of the MS Weather app:
wp_ss_20150622_0001(1).jpgwp_ss_20150622_0002(1).jpgwp_ss_20150622_0003(1).jpg

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Agree re: Looks great. More sophisticated I think. My 930 is behaving itself nicely on this build. I am honestly enjoying it.
I do believe though, that nobody should install it unless they are comfortable tweaking things, resetting phone and using the Recover Tool.

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Agree re: Looks great. More sophisticated I think. My 930 is behaving itself nicely on this build. I am honestly enjoying it.
I do believe though, that nobody should install it unless they are comfortable tweaking things, resetting phone and using the Recover Tool.

Is 930 your primary phone? so is it now ok for a daily driver?

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Is 930 your primary phone? so is it now ok for a daily driver?
930 is my everyday phone and (FOR ME) it works well on build 10136 and I am comfortable using it. It is however, it's different from 8.1 so does take some getting used. Like I mentioned above, make sure you're comfortable resetting and/or rolling back with recovery tool.

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
930 is my everyday phone and (FOR ME) it works well on build 10136 and I am comfortable using it. It is however, it's different from 8.1 so does take some getting used. Like I mentioned above, make sure you're comfortable resetting and/or rolling back with recovery tool.

Will it be ok if after I update to Windows 10, I will reset BUT I will restore the backup from 8.1? Will that make any difference?

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Will it be ok if after I update to Windows 10, I will reset BUT I will restore the backup from 8.1? Will that make any difference?

Honestly can't say what would be "ok" re: updating to W10TP. The only thing I am sure of... It really is a beta! There are a variety of bugs and problems associated with it. The thing is that not everyone experiences the same issues. I like it but there are still lots of bugs and you need to be ok with the possibility of rolling back to 8.1.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

My experience...the first time I restored from backup and didn't like it at.all. I rolled back using WPRT them reinstalled build 10136 without restoring backup . Worked much better for me that way. It took about 12 hours for it to "settle down" for me.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Marybeth. I posted this in another thread but it bears repeating...I think :)

Since my 920 was basically sitting there in an altered state, I decided to roll back to 8.1 and install 10136. After installing it, and you get to tiles again, initially, the phone isn't really yours to use yet. Not really. I mean it'll work and all the menus are there but something continues to go on in the background, of what I don't know. I noticed the battery indicator is unreliable in that it would seem to drop to almost 14 percent in a few hours but if you reboot, its back to full. So I figured something must be going on yet.

By then end of the night, that behind the scenes activity seemed to have settled down and BOOM, its a brand new phone. It takes a few minutes to get used to the new look and feel but it becomes natural feeling in no time. I would NOT recommend any prior TP build for any device. I could recommend this build. Not perfect though, I found the people app dodgy at times. Touch could be snappier but usability was there and battery went all day. I can't speak to the camera just yet because I haven't examined the photos but the camera does take pics. Wireless charging worked normally and the tiles seem to continue to get better. The music app and MS weather app is stunningly beautiful. Love the calendar too.
If it looks this good on my aging 920, how well would it perform on NEW hardware and chipsets? We shall see.

Screen caps of the MS Weather app:
Pictures

Weird. I personally dislike most things in W10, especially the new apps. **** that weather app, the old one was elegant and minimal and it did the job almost perfectly. I really don't like it.
I don't wan't to start the whole hamburger fiasco again, but yeah, that also ruined (atleast MINE) experience. Oh and the "new" elipsis button at the bottom - it's BS. They couldn't have made it worse I think. When you open it, you get some weird rectangle around those buttons, and the rest of the bar on the left is just standing there for no reason, unopened, useless.
I, however, do kinda like the new Music app, for the sole fact that it's better than Xbox music (which was ultra-terrible), but it's (the new Music app) still as bad as the weather app.

The only thing I trully enjoy is the new start screen experience. Full background, full transparent tiles (well, it still depends if the developer is a **** and doesn't update the app and the tile), and all the things that go with it. Ehh... it took you time MS, it took you quite a while.

Other than that, eehhhh, it's ok I guess, but it could have been way much more. I guess I'll just settle with what I have.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Weird. I personally dislike most things in W10, especially the new apps. **** that weather app, the old one was elegant and minimal and it did the job almost perfectly. I really don't like it.
I don't wan't to start the whole hamburger fiasco again, but yeah, that also ruined (atleast MINE) experience. Oh and the "new" elipsis button at the bottom - it's BS. They couldn't have made it worse I think. When you open it, you get some weird rectangle around those buttons, and the rest of the bar on the left is just standing there for no reason, unopened, useless.
I, however, do kinda like the new Music app, for the sole fact that it's better than Xbox music (which was ultra-terrible), but it's (the new Music app) still as bad as the weather app.

Agreed. Beauty is a subjective thing but the weather app in W10M looks like a glorified web wrapper at best. I can see a few nice things in it but overall it's a visual downgrade over the 8.1 version and that's not even taking into account the badly placed menu and search icons.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Glad 10136 works for you.

I'm so jaded now by 10080 I'm never going back..hihi

I had two overarching problems with W10. One was the shear rawness of it, buggy, features didnt work, slow, live roles didn't go live, taps didn't register, Onefootball app wouldn't open, on and on.. Those things will get fixed, I understand.

But the main issue I have is the "new" look and feel. The Outlook app is horrible on a 4-5" screen. The fonts are just too small. It's like they took the desktop app and shrunk it down. But mobile is not desktop. Apps have to be designed for mobile. Gone is the flow of WP8.x and the beautiful font and design.

I could go on but you get the point. I'll be on 8.1 until they kick me off then maybe a Blackberry. BB10 is pretty cool.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't suppose you have checked the call quality?

The closest I'm probably going to get to Windows 10 Mobile is probably the emulator lol.

weaksauce27

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This response was from another thread with the recent build on the 920.

I have it to my Lumia 920 and its my only phone. Its pretty stable, with fewer bugs. For me they aren't annoying or a deal-break, but it depends on the usage. So far i didn't have any random reboot or a major crush, bug. But this is my personal experience. I don't know if in a different model or in a carrier phone will work the same. But i saw in video reviews that in the newer high-end phones like L930 or L1520 the w10m 10136 was faster.

So here are some features, bugs

• I haven't had any problem making calls or answering, getting texts but there are app crashes, like messenger, viber ( i can receive notifications, but sometimes both apps crashes when i try to type a message).
  • The new store is stable enough, it is a bit slow but its better than in 10080. All new universal apps age better (To see the changes first update all the new apps from the beta store). Although i faced a problem with outlook mail, the app for me couldn't open at all (since Friday it can). The calender works finel.
  • The music app and video app are awesome and feel solid. Like the map app (i don't know about car directions as i don't drive). I have no idea about games, as i don't play any.
  • The office apps are very good and useful to make changes to documents. I dont know if excel is helpful.
  • And now about cortana. She is simply awesome. She has a fresher UI much better and more mature than ever. She now takes better commands than in previous builds and she is faster. (but cortana's live tile is blank. It doesnt show anything)
  • About spartan. Hands down the best browser ever. It is fast and fluid. The reading mode is great. (We can again download photos.)
    About UI
  • The scaling bug is gone. The elements, icons, letters are big enough. (Although i loved the smaller ones).
  • The UI is more consistent, unified. It feels fresh.
  • The action center is better than before. They changes the icons and also the gave us the ability to swipe down to make the extra toggles appear and swipe up to disappear. (sometimes it doesn't work and may feel a bit sluggish). To open the toggles you can now swipe down and swipe up like you do with the cation center. (it doesnt work always).
  • The resuming isn't gone entirely, but i don't see it very often. I usually see it at the startsceen when an app is crashed or something like that.

To sum up. For me the phone works great with the 10136 build but it depends on the usage. The battery is good enough for a medium-light use.

P.S. If you upgrade to the 10136 check for new updates. I got a new one that fixed a few problems and made the phone even more stable. Some say that doing a hard reset will make the experience smoother, but i haven't tried it in this build so i wont advice you to do this. And last but not least update first the store app and then the others. The new store app version is way faster and stable than before.
Proud user of Lumia 920

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

The only thing I trully enjoy is the new start screen experience. Full background, full transparent tiles (well, it still depends if the developer is a **** and doesn't update the app and the tile), and all the things that go with it. Ehh... it took you time MS, it took you quite a while.

Other than that, eehhhh, it's ok I guess, but it could have been way much more. I guess I'll just settle with what I have.

My guess is as with most things that change in this platform, it'll just take you a bit longer to acclimate to the changes. Windows XP ruined it for Windows 98 users, Windows 7, ruined it for those on XP, Windows 8 did the most for those stuck in an android mindset and for them anything approaching this level of change was a disaster. Point is, unless you plan to leave the platform entirely at which none of this will matter once you're gone, which you're not. You don't much care for it today but tomorrow you'll wonder how you were able to get along so long without this. It happens to the best of us.
...And the weather app IS gorgeous. :)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Oh SNAP, DID YOU SEE THIS??

Ok, it was new to me and too bad I can't screen shot the lock screen but I picked up my 920 this morning off the charger and I get the normal but great looking Bing picture of the day. I swipe the screen to get to the lock and the only thing that moved was the Time and Date to reveal my lock pin.
I didn't know the lock screen was transparent.

Usually the entire image moves and you get the pin on a dark background. But here it shows up on the same gorgeous Bing picture of the day but on a transparent background. This build is pushing me to put it on my 1520. Someone talk me out of making this move to my 1520 right now but it looks great.
temptation.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077