I was bored so my 920 is running 10136

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Hope battery issues get fixed in next build,my 920 get pretty hot a lot,probably due with that quiet hours icon flashing all the time.
I'm not having that on my 920. I did once though but it was because I didn't wait for the phone to finish setting up internally. Sure I had the tiles available and some apps would run but the warm to the touch 920 suggested some processing was still going on and it wasn't ready for use. I jumped at it too early the first time and it never worked right.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Agree re: Looks great. More sophisticated I think. My 930 is behaving itself nicely on this build. I am honestly enjoying it.
I do believe though, that nobody should install it unless they are comfortable tweaking things, resetting phone and using the Recover Tool.

Don't forget jtagging. Saw a few forum threads where people had "unbrickable" phones :X

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
This is why I'm holding off on this TP as I use the Music Pass daily. I can stream but Tmob service around my area is horrible.
As an FYI, Music pass does work since its working on mine but if you can't get it to work, I would wait too.

svaethier

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm not having that on my 920. I did once though but it was because I didn't wait for the phone to finish setting up internally. Sure I had the tiles available and some apps would run but the warm to the touch 920 suggested some processing was still going on and it wasn't ready for use. I jumped at it too early the first time and it never worked right.
Mine only gets really hot when using skype it seems

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Same here, old father's 920.

Windows 10, for now, is a really bad experience. Almost evertything is worst than Windows Phone 8, which I really like the way it is. Microsoft Edge is a disaster, new search system is the worst thing in the world, while Windows Phone 8 have the perfect and unsuperable Bing System, everything have a really slow response, since taps until loading apps and much more.

For now Windows 10 in Lumia 920 looks like any Android in any smartphone. Laggy and really poor responsive.

Hope things change. Windows 10 mobile is a disaster in all possible ways.

svaethier

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Same here, old father's 920.

Windows 10, for now, is a really bad experience. Almost evertything is worst than Windows Phone 8, which I really like the way it is. Microsoft Edge is a disaster, new search system is the worst thing in the world, while Windows Phone 8 have the perfect and unsuperable Bing System, everything have a really slow response, since taps until loading apps and much more.

For now Windows 10 in Lumia 920 looks like any Android in any smartphone. Laggy and really poor responsive.

Hope things change. Windows 10 mobile is a disaster in all possible ways.

I wouldn't call windows 10 a disaster really,it just needs a lot more polishing before it's rtm which is exactly what Microsoft is doing with each build,apps are going to be laggy as the bugs with how the os handles apps aren't squashed yet.

U_SAF

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
can anyone tell please if latest build got VPN.? I installed Windows 10 on Lumia920 but removed it due to the missing VPN.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well as off just under two hours ago, I installed the technical preview on my trusty L920. Instead of diving straight in, backed all files (accessible via the file explorer when plugged via usb), uninstalled a lot of applications and games. As I didn't want my phone turning into a sauna :winktongue: during the final stages.

First glance after a few minutes use {let it cool down for 45 minutes as both screen and camera module were warm to the touch ); it is smoooth as butter, loving the lockscreen overlay, quickly checked for glance - tick - it's there, app list - all there. So far so good soo got prompted for a restart as an update was available and that's when my problems started:

missing system apps entry in the app list such as store, store (beta), messaging, photos hub, settings (glance still works however).

I can only currently access store beta via Wallet - add - all apps - choose store (beta).

So figure I'm going to let it sit over night and have a thorough rinse through the o/s tomorrow.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Woke up bright and early to go through this fresh o/s... didn't get very far and screenshots still did not work as all I got was just a black canvas. Over night nothing automagically occurred.. oh well.

So bit the pill and did a hard reset via settings.

When the TOS popped up I couldn't help but chuckle.

wp_ss_20150630_0001.png

Carrying on, I did not restore, chose customise here (a bit sneaky or daft to use grey text as some naturally presume grey text = disabled options)

wp_ss_20150630_0003.png

Unticked all except turn on Find my phone and use Mobile data (less chances of things going haywire right? :winktongue:)

wp_ss_20150630_0002.png

After it completely finished I was literally fidgeting anxiously as some have said their devices got bricked after doing so, lost glance etc etc.

Hallelujah!

What happened was a revelation lol, I didn't realise how many apps I was missing the first go round (after all this the first time running the preview personally on my phone). Everything was there from Edge to Settings, Film & Tv to Music etc

{Screenshots are out of sync here, was too excited and forgot to take screenshots as I went along lol....}

wp_ss_20150630_0017.pngwp_ss_20150630_0018.pngwp_ss_20150630_0019.pngwp_ss_20150630_0020.pngwp_ss_20150630_0021.pngwp_ss_20150630_0022.png

{Missing screenshot 1}

{Missing screenshot 2 for some bizzare reason the last two screenshots are not uploading}

So the first thing I did was check If I had glance and yup, still have it.

wp_ss_20150630_0010.pngwp_ss_20150630_0011.pngwp_ss_20150630_0013.png

The second thing I checked, was whether or not static IP was enabled for Wi Fi, sadly nope.... I hope this is not omitted for the final release.

wp_ss_20150630_0014.pngwp_ss_20150630_0015.pngwp_ss_20150630_0016(crop).png

Above is a crop, there is no edit toggle and the fields are not editable either via single tap or long press.

Still going through the o/s and one last thing I want to mention is that I still have the window feedback app as I have noticed some were saying it was removed only to be reinstated in later builds. Plus the volume down + power key (1 second hold) still initiates the feedback app, takes a screen shot and embeds into the newly created entry.

Edit:

Here Maps, Here Drive, OneNote, Whatsapp where not pre-installed these were installed by myself.

Last two screenshots won't upload.. maybe I've hit the attachment limit set per user??

Time for a clean up I think.

Also there is now a "not for resale" branding on the Windows Logo splash screen, I guess to prevent users from selling preview releases as the finished article.

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Woke up bright and early to go through this fresh o/s... didn't get very far and screenshots still did not work as all I got was just a black canvas. Over night nothing automagically occurred.. oh well.

So bit the pill and did a hard reset via settings. <snip> <snip>
Posts like this make me want to jump in with my trusty 920.

RoarinRow

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I upgrade my L920 to 10149 as well. Definitely more stable and less hot than the previous build I tried. In the previous build the Start page barely loaded and I had to revert back to 8.1 This build brought new life to my L920 and like it so far. The update camera is good, Cortana is still slow and I don't like the white background on top of the black. I like the transparent signon screen for my PIN. I like the Outlook app better on my iPhone. There is an option to show all email boxes and not one email account at a time. Battery life is very poor but I have mine on the charger for most of the day since it is my backup phone.

PBarrette

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I have the latest build on my L920, but I'm not too happy with it. I may do a reset to make the TP fresh, but I am also considering simply going back to 8.1.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Posts like this make me want to jump in with my trusty 920.

Haha, I blame Jazmac for pushing me over into the dark side :evil:.

Honestly, joking aside I will only recommend it you know the risks and accept such risks i.e data loss, completely bricked device plus really know what your doing.

If you do end up doing so, move all your data off your phone, uninstall all unnecessary apps and games as this will make the migration process much quicker + prevent the bug where both stores try to update at the same time as reported by some users.

When installing put your phone down on a surface that dissipates heat effectively and after a successful install leave the phone alone {I cannot stress that enough} (I used my hp pro book's lid since it is brushed aluminum) as this will prevent over heating and a o/s crash (failed install) I believe this is what is happening to some users. It really did take 45 minutes to cool down completely - screen and camera module cool to the touch 45 minutes later and the surrounding area on the lid around the phone was slightly warm. That really shows how hot it can get If only I had a thermal camera... .

Anyway, waiting to see if Jazmac [as it's his thread and all] or others found any new gems to check out :wink: so I can compare and check if mine is buggy or not (as I've encountered a few non device breaking bugs and reported via the feedback app).

Haven't had the luxury to go through the O/S completely like I was hoping had a lot to do today.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
TechFreak is right. Leave the device be, especially if its warm to the touch after you update. That heat means the processor is working really hard to lay out your OS and applications so they work and work efficiently. And when the device cools down. Don't go loading to with everything you know. A few apps. Let them work. Then later a few more.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
TechFreak is right. Leave the device be, especially if its warm to the touch after you update. That heat means the processor is working really hard to lay out your OS and applications so they work and work efficiently. And when the device cools down. Don't go loading to with everything you know. A few apps. Let them work. Then later a few more.

Yes. Yes. So much stuff seems to happen in the background for as much as 24 hours(on my phone). I found that the less I messed with it the better it performed.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey Jazmac.. I plunged in too. It was rather painless cos as it was my spare SIM free 920.

I only have an XP PC (don't ask!!!) so I had to borrow a W8 laptop to do the Recovery Tool part... Took a good three hours...

There was no heat issue but was taken aback when the battery dropped instantly 100% to 15%. Still it was enough for the data migration process. ...

I let it "rest" overnight and started installing my apps. It's good enough to be a daily driver, just. I like some of the refinements and subtle animation. Not too convinced about the round icons for the People hub. Seems like they changed it just to have the icons do a bit of roll !!
Verdict: So far so good. Some apps still wont install but does after awhile. OneDrive is still buggy. Bluetooth music file transfer doesn't work for me.... all in all, more positives than brickbats

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey Jazmac.. I plunged in too. It was rather painless cos as it was my spare SIM free 920.

I only have an XP PC (don't ask!!!) so I had to borrow a W8 laptop to do the Recovery Tool part... Took a good three hours...

There was no heat issue but was taken aback when the battery dropped instantly 100% to 15%. Still it was enough for the data migration process. ...

I let it "rest" overnight and started installing my apps. It's good enough to be a daily driver, just. I like some of the refinements and subtle animation. Not too convinced about the round icons for the People hub. Seems like they changed it just to have the icons do a bit of roll !!
Verdict: So far so good. Some apps still wont install but does after awhile. OneDrive is still buggy. Bluetooth music file transfer doesn't work for me.... all in all, more positives than brickbats
Congrats on the success of the update. You don't know how many times I bumped into brick walls before making these few adjustments which allowed this build to install and more importantly work. But yes there are bugs and processes yet to work out but at least we've advanced a notch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea