Did you try installing windows 10 on your Lumia 520?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I wanna know how it is working for you guys :)
I had 10136 installed and it is slow as molasses. I am trying to update to 10149 now but have some issues. Hope it will be a little faster with the new build. It's not my main phone, mostly for testing such as this.
If the L520 is your main phone I suggest you wait a little longer.
cheers

LakeRatTX

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I can't recommend 10149 on a Lumia 520.

I installed it on mine today, and now I can't turn on Wi-Fi.

Edit: A hard reset fixed the problem for me.

Last edited:

I3unny

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I just so badly wanna use windows 10 on my 520 but the lag u guys talk about would just kill my Love for the new win 10 :(

Michael Daelemans

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I have tried to install from the latest 8.1 and I got a boot loop I could download fine and when I rebooted it kept showing the gear icon it also sometimes rebooted you know like nokia logo the gears icon and back nokia logo and again and again, you get the picture I have rolled back but I will try again tomorrow to see if i can get i to work will keep you posted.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I have tried to install from the latest 8.1 and I got a boot loop I could download fine and when I rebooted it kept showing the gear icon it also sometimes rebooted you know like nokia logo the gears icon and back nokia logo and again and again, you get the picture I have rolled back but I will try again tomorrow to see if i can get i to work will keep you posted.
same here. got boot loop and the frowny face. I reflashed with 8.1 and trying again. It now ran updates twice, however not W10 yet. Hope the third one it's doing right now is it.

Michael Daelemans

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
same here. got boot loop and the frowny face. I reflashed with 8.1 and trying again. It now ran updates twice, however not W10 yet. Hope the third one it's doing right now is it.

I hope so, as said if I get it to work I will let you know, really want to try this one out seems a nice build if well we can install it of course.

Alexis-1991

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I have 10149 installed on my lumia 520 and is way faster than the previous version, I barely get any loading in this version but is not free of bugs of course.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Update. I was finally able to update to it. Had to start from freshly flashed phone. Took a long time. Definitely more responsive than previous build.

Will not install this on my main phone yet (L830)
DerAusgewanderte

Deadmask

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Yes, used the build 10136 for 2days but it was rather laggy, today updated to 10149 build. the initial Impression is much smother. Apps load faster and over all UI and font scaling is better. But soon I ran into some issues.
Some of the systems apps has update on the Beta store (exras info, display etc.), and they refused to update no matter what. I kept getting 0x803F8001 error. When a few soft reset didn't fix the issue I tried a Hard reset, and things got even worse. My phone got stuck in a loop of "Gear logo > Frown > reboot > gear logo > Frown >repeat".
The phone was not initially detected by 'Windows phone recovery tool', then I tried to reboot by vol down + power while connected via USB and the WPRT detected it as 'Phone in UEFI mode' but i had previously started download the 8.1 firmware so I continued that, It it downloading at the moment while I type this. I don't know if the flash is gonna be successful in this state. If the flash fails I think JTAG flash is the only remaining option for me.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
deadmask, I was at the same point with my L520. I started the windows phone recovery tool and plugged the phone in. I then clicked on my phone was not detected and on the L520 button. It picked up the restarting phone eventually and flashed it.
hope you get it to work without going extra steps.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
Not a 520, but I have a 635. Still a dog hardware-wise so maybe it's a good parallel to the 520. I directly updated from 8.1 to 10129. Took so long, like over 4 hours long. Everything was broken. Fonts jacked up, unresponsive to taps, lag city, apps showing in the menu as colored squares without text (some, not all). Busted as hell.

I hard reset/formatted and it's much better. So, if you are having serious issues with 10129, just do a format (annoying, I know) and it should clear out remaining junk that's breaking your OS.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Running Windows 10 Mobile on a Lumia 520 compares roughly to what, running the PC version on an old Pentium laptop?

Amazing feat that it runs at all. If it runs well that's just a bonus.

Deadmask

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Update :

The problem was solved.
As I mentioned in my last post, I had managed to get WPRT to recognize my phone connected in UEFI mode. The download finished and the firmware flash back to 8.1 was successful. The phone is up and running now. I do plan to get back in Windows 10 though. Hope my 2nd experience would be better.

Deadmask

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Running Windows 10 Mobile on a Lumia 520 compares roughly to what, running the PC version on an old Pentium laptop?

Amazing feat that it runs at all. If it runs well that's just a bonus.

I agree, but what is amazing is that the latest build feels noticeably smoother and faster than any 8 or 8.1 build I used

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I agree, but what is amazing is that the latest build feels noticeably smoother and faster than any 8 or 8.1 build I used
certainly not on mine. it is better than 10136 but not as fast or smooth compared to 8.1. a lot of "resuming" and crashing apps or even reboots in the last hour (I did a hard reset after update).
I also just noticed that it didn't find my SDCard. I have to soft reset, sometimes a couple times to get it back. Something that I experienced with my L830 on 10136 as well.

Maybe the new animations make it "feel" smoother, but the apps on my L520 take longer to open.

Deadmask

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Maybe the new animations make it "feel" smoother, but the apps on my L520 take longer to open.

Either it's that or maybe my lumia slowed down for some reason when it was in 8.1 (maybe not a clean update from cyan?)

right now the flash set me back to cyan so I am trying to crawl my way back into denim first before going for windows 10 again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett