Squares vs Circles - The live tile

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Circles are nice contrast from the harsh squares and rectangles of the ENTIRE os I hope they stay

I've got someone that put a quote on his profile photo. Now I can't read the dang thing. Then there are those people that use photos posing with someone else or their dog, thus chopping off faces and such. It alters the artistic intent of the image's creator.

To be sarcastic I'll probably redo mine to have a square that fits within the circle.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
that's a lot prettier than I thought it'd be

not sure if I like it more or less though

Oddly, I like it but still hate it at the same time. The rolling around at least works with circles.

If your avatar was on a profile photo on the phone it would look like someone had a scope crosshairs on that cute dog.

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
In a effort to differentiate Windows 10 from previous releases someone concocted this half-baked idea. These polka dots have no place in this design.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
In a effort to differentiate Windows 10 from previous releases someone concocted this half-baked idea. These polka dots have no place in this design.

That would account for most of the bizarre and poor design decisions in W10. Wireframe/hollow icons, the round iOS style toggles and of course the circle profile pictures which add nothing. There's a difference between keeping things new and fresh and just changing things for the sake of changing.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
As it stands, I think squares are by far the better option for the live tile...

If you pin people to the start screen then add them to a folder it mimics that old people tile. You can do this just for you inner circle contacts. Hopefully they won't mess up the pinned contacts.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I have to say after I've finally seen it functioning fully on my Icon I like it way better than the 8.1 square design. It's a refreshing contrast to everything being so sharp and square-like.

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Well to be honest I'm really happy it doesn't work on my primary phone, as graphic designer I will only say it is one of the ugliest thing that I have ever seen :D :D

To be clear, I have nothing against circles in people app but this animation is terrible if you ask me and what also annoys me is new group view with small circles, the old way with a big square 'active' contact thumbnails where both, better looking and more informative..

IgorVysoky

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
We have had circles even in 8.1 if you havent noticed. Controls in each app are circled and nobody gives a ****. They put your contact photos into circles and everyone is losing their minds. Put your **** together people. Its just circles in OS of your phone. The same thing with settings toggles. Theyre rounded. So what? Bread wont be cheaper nor more expensive. Of you dont like it leave the platform.
There are more important things than round stuff. App gap. OS features, loading and resuming screens...

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
We have had circles even in 8.1 if you havent noticed. Controls in each app are circled and nobody gives a ****. They put your contact photos into circles and everyone is losing their minds. Put your **** together people. Its just circles in OS of your phone. The same thing with settings toggles. Theyre rounded. So what? Bread wont be cheaper nor more expensive. Of you dont like it leave the platform.
There are more important things than round stuff. App gap. OS features, loading and resuming screens...
As I said in post above I have nothing against circles in people app, we all may need some time to acclimate to some new UI tweaks that Microsoft brought with the WM10 here and there, but again, I just can't resists to repeat this animation is simply terrible if you ask and I would rather choose no animation than look at this ugly polka on my start screen.

From other hand, what annoys me the most when it comes to circles, new group view with small circles, the old way with a big square 'active' contact thumbnails where both, better looking and more informative and even easier to navigate, but again, its just my opinion...

Of you dont like it leave the platform.
And after all complains aren't here because someone want to leave platform or come back or stay or anything else but because of the valuable feedback, feedback is important no matter is it about UI design or about new features or app gap, feedback is feedback....what is important to you doesn't means is important to everyone and vice versa...

Last edited:

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I very much prefer squares over the circles, but I can understand that MS wants to unify it across the ecosystem (win10, Skype, Xbox, etc..).

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I really hate the circles in wp8.1 you can have the large size tile it it looks good. The circles look awful. Same thing with email I could use dark BG in 10its blue in top white BG drives me nuts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett