Build 10149 and EAS-mandated encryption?

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Update: This issue is fixed in later builds (10166 and beyond, I think).

I've searched and cant' find anything, so I'm looking for help here.

I just updated a 1520 to Build 10149. My work email has an Exchange ActiveSync policy that requires device encryption. My device was encrypted before installing 10149 and it still appears to be encrypted per the Encryption Settings page. However, the device will no longer sync with my work email, claiming that the device isn't complying with the needed security policy.

Should a device running 10149 work with an Exchange account that requires encryption? If so, what might I try to get things working? (My fallback is to return to Windows Phone 8.1 in the morning.) Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Was it working on the previous build?

Or did you update from 8.1 to 10149?

If the latter, I would roll back to 8.1 and sit tight until it's sorted out. At the end of the day, it's pre release software and Microsoft will probably focus on things like this coming closer to RTM

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Don't know. I haven't had that account on my test 635.

I did some more experimenting today. Did Windows Phone Recovery on the 1520, set it up without using one of my backups, then upgraded to 10149. From there, I tried to add my work Exchange account. The phone made me pin a 6-digit numeric PIN (as expected) and that worked. However, the phone kept reporting that the account was not working. It appears that EITHER the device isn't encrypting OR that Outlook can't deal with an encrypted device. I believe that I heard something similar about the Outlook for Android and iOS, but that just sounds silly since the apps shouldn't even know that the device is encrypted.

majorfriend

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I haven't been able to get either my work or school accounts to work. Neither require device encryption, so I don't know if it's related to your issue.

For what it's worth I go to add an account select exchange, then put my email in and it tells me that work or school account isn't working right now and I need to either buy the app or uninstall (which to me at least was a nonsensical message).

majorfriend

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Adding the accounts manually (selecting other when choosing the type of account, then exchange active sync) did the trick for me. Don't know if that's a possibility with mandated encryption.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon