Were did my Office go?

Gustavo Sanchez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Just installed W10 TP on my L1520, and the first thing I noticed is that there is no Office apps in my phone. Please don't tell me I just replaced my bundled Office suite with some Office 365 apps! I did not pay before for Office, so why I would want to pay now? By the way, there seems to be problem with the Store, since it gives an error when I try to download the Office apps.

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Cool down. There is no bundled office anymore but you can download the Word, Excel and Powerpoint preview apps separately from the store Beta.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The Preview apps mention some sort of 365 subscription for them to work after Preview...

This is the same preview app that is on Windows 10 desktops and tablets as a universal app. On those platforms, it will require a subscription. Once you upgrade to the final Windows 10 for mobile it will be included as a part of all phones that are running Windows 10, but only included for the phones. For Tablets and Desktops/Laptops, you'll need the subscription.

Hope that helps.

wrm1

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Yep, install them. Use them now. Once the preview is done they are no longer free for windows phone. They are the same crippled apps that android and iOS have...unless you pay for office 365. I'm willing to bet that those of us on Windows RT are going to lose it also. I mean, why should the faithful get something as a benefit for loyalty when they can be made to pay for it?

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Yep, install them. Use them now. Once the preview is done they are no longer free for windows phone. They are the same crippled apps that android and iOS have...unless you pay for office 365. I'm willing to bet that those of us on Windows RT are going to lose it also. I mean, why should the faithful get something as a benefit for loyalty when they can be made to pay for it?

Not true, the old Office app in WP8.1 is stripped down version with no way to add features, the new Universal Office app is the same stripped down version with new interface but can be upgraded with O365 subscription, you ain't losing anything. As for RT devices, we don't know yet, but it'll be a **** moves if they to remove full WinRT Office 2013 with subscription based O365.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

This is not how I understand it. In watching a video presentation from Microsoft, I believe it was Satya Nadella that stated that the full Office would be available for Windows Phone for free, and a stripped down version would be available for iOS and Android. iOS and Android will continue with updates to the stripped down apps they have now, while Windows 10 for Mobile will get full, free updates to the Office 365 touch apps. Another reason for me to want a new Windows 10 phone with Continuum later...

As far as those on Windows RT, you'll pretty much have access to the same apps you have now. RT is only getting some updates, Microsoft isn't going to strip things out of it.

Gustavo Sanchez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I opened a PPT today with latest Preview app. It only let me view the presentation. If I wanted to edit it, I would need a 365 account. The upgrade now brings less functionality for us WP users...

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I opened a PPT today with latest Preview app. It only let me view the presentation. If I wanted to edit it, I would need a 365 account. The upgrade now brings less functionality for us WP users...

I certainly hope that changes. It's not what was stated in the Windows 10 event back in Feb.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720