Its 8am, my 1520, 10149, I'm goin' in.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I installed 10149 three times over the course of Tuesday/Wednesday, plus a couple of recoveries to 8.1, plus one instance of apparent near-brickitude. Finally got it working ok, but this is what worked for me:
1. Do NOT restore a backup. Restoring backups created nothing but problems for me.
2. Hard reset after every firmware change, so hard reset if you fall back to 8.1, and definitely a hard reset after you install 10149. Let all the apps update and complete the set up (except for restoring a backup) and then hard reset before you do anything else!

I don't have Glance at all, and the contact live tile animations that worked in one install don't work in this one. But everything else appears to be working really well, battery life is great...so cross fingers.

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a question if anyone knows. Will the existing apps need to be updated for Windows Phone 10 in order that they work properly?

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I am not clear on this myself, because I read one thread on an MS community blog that said we should update several 10 apps like Outlook directly from the store, that they aren't pushing them out. But in the Beta Store I am not seeing any kind of indication that an updated version is available, nor am I getting any notifications from either store that I have apps that need to be updated. I have had several apps update automatically though, so I guess the answer I have to offer is...I don't know? :)
The store situation is weird enough as it right now, half the time you can't download an app, or it won't recognize it as owned and you get a trial version. You can usually get around that by getting it from the original store instead.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere here to NOT allow any of the apps you own to be auto downloaded to the phone and to install them manually. I updated my m8 again and even though quirky at times, its holding up. I may try again on my 1520 doing the same thing.
@txkimmers: I've noticed that even on the original store, the apps may not appear. You can grab a few of them but some just won't show. Like my AT&T Digital Life app. It's telling me its no longer available but on my device running 8.1, its there to download.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
one question to 10149 please...where is the cortana tile? i cant find cortana neither on the all apps list, nor on the beta store or elsewhere..how can i get back that tile?

I have 10149 in my spare Nokia Icon.

Just press the search soft and then the menu to get into Cortana is right there.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I've got a spare Nokia Icon at home that I run Windows 10 on and after it upgraded to 10149 I've noticed that it is very responsive to launch apps.
The new EDGE browser hauls ***.

The one thing preventing me from installing Windows 10 into my 1520 (again) is that several apps are stuck at the store including Nokia Mix Radio.
So far that is the MUST HAVE app out of the 8 or so stuck apps at is making it a deal breaker.

Although the new Music app with it's cloud based (one drive) feature to access all of your music might be option.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I gave up. Ongoing issues with the SD card, and then last night I picked up my Frankenphone and put in my pin and nothing happened. Left it overnight, having read that I just need to "give it time" in a case like that, but nope. Gave it time, reboots galore, begging on bended knee...could not get past the lockscreen. So I am back on 8.1. It's frustrating because the preview build was SO TANTALIZING. I really cannot wait until the final version comes out...um, but I will be. I will be.

nematombo15

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Feedback: Installed this past Friday morning. Got the usual bugs which I fixed with work around like the dialler. Only installed updated Apps today and the build had been sweet. Only two reboots and froze once when I received a call. At first Apps were launching slowly but as the day progressed they began to optimise. Only big I have Is failing to save a contact in the phonebook. Music app is great and some Apps only update through the old store instead of the new one.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I gave up. Ongoing issues with the SD card, and then last night I picked up my Frankenphone and put in my pin and nothing happened. Left it overnight, having read that I just need to "give it time" in a case like that, but nope. Gave it time, reboots galore, begging on bended knee...could not get past the lockscreen. So I am back on 8.1. It's frustrating because the preview build was SO TANTALIZING. I really cannot wait until the final version comes out...um, but I will be. I will be.

When you finished your installation, did you log in and allow all your apps to redeploy?

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
"When you finished your installation, did you log in and allow all your apps to redeploy? "

Oh yes, definitely. I had almost two solid days of enjoying 10149, it was great. Even the SD card was annoying but not a dealbreaker, because the workaround was just to re-boot the phone. Then at some point I just picked it up, put in my pin (have to have a pin if I am going to get work email on it too, so that's why the pin), and nothing happened. Leaving it alone for several hours didn't work, and really, how could that be a viable option on a device you are trying to use? Rebooting didn't work, doing the down/up/power/down button push--nothing. And I have no explanation for what brought it on aside from...hubris? So, nope, had to go back to 8.1 just to get into the phone.

I will admit, I am sorely tempted to try again though. It's a new day. It might be just fine this time...

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Oh yes, definitely. I had almost two solid days of enjoying 10149, it was great. Even the SD card was annoying but not a dealbreaker, because the workaround was just to re-boot the phone. Then at some point I just picked it up, put in my pin (have to have a pin if I am going to get work email on it too, so that's why the pin), and nothing happened. Leaving it alone for several hours didn't work, and really, how could that be a viable option on a device you are trying to use? Rebooting didn't work, doing the down/up/power/down button push--nothing. And I have no explanation for what brought it on aside from...hubris? So, nope, had to go back to 8.1 just to get into the phone.

I will admit, I am sorely tempted to try again though. It's a new day. It might be just fine this time...

I was afraid you would say you allowed it to. I figured out I needed to avoid that.

You don't want to allow your apps and settings to from 8.1 to come on down into 10149. Some of the settings, and I am not completely sure which ones refuse to cooperate with WinXM or visa versa. It always seems to work initially but you'll touch something like the calculator in my case and its like you pulled the wrong orange from the fruit stand that caused the rest to roll off onto the floor. So I've found it better not to allow it. Just load your apps from the store a few at a time. It takes longer but works out better in the long run.

Speaking of which, I did just that on my 1520 yesterday afternoon and...

wp_ss_20150705_0001.jpgwp_ss_20150705_0002.jpg

Start screen is an unorganized mess so far but that's how things look when you first move in. :) With the exception of Proshot, all my apps seem to be working. No overheating or battery issues. Proshot works but I thinks I only own a demo copy when I own a full license.

On my HTC M8, AT&T Digital Life won't install because it thinks my device doesn't meet the requirements. It says the M8 has less than 512 ram. lol.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Argh, you are making me want to try again! :)

I didn't want to either but pride is one hell of a motivator. :)

I'm going to leave my 1520 off the charger today. It won't be a daily driver for now but I need to see how the battery behaves. I'll check on it tonight but during the day, I'll pick it up and run stuff and install an app or two I'll need eventually but it'll remain off the charger.

nematombo15

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
My 1520 is my daily driver and we getting along (touch wood). Battery is lasting long enough though charging is slower. But it's ok having fun. How they release another build do deal with the bugs.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
"I was afraid you would say you allowed it to. I figured out I needed to avoid that."

OMG I think I am going to try again.
Ok, so just to be clear: After the upgrade, I didn't restore any kind of backup from 8.1, so the only apps that were updating were things like Travel, Skype, Money, etc, i.e., stuff that they want you to have with the system. Is that what you refer to when you say, don't let them update? Can I keep them from auto-updating by customizing the set up instead of going with "recommended" or should I just get right into a hard reset as soon as the firmware pulls up the start screen?

In other news, another thing I learned (the hard way): keep your SIM in while doing all this. I had a situation when going back to 8.1 where Reset Protection was requesting a recovery key and when I went to get it from Find My Phone, it wasn't there. Apparently MS tracks your phone via your SIM, and not your IMEI, which seems weird to me.

Captains

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Good luck. I had my backup install automatically, never did a hard reset. I decided that if it was running ok so why do a hard reset if I didn't have to. All goog so far. :smile:

1320 btw.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077