Why did I roll back from W10 10149 to WP8.1

dda_k

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Heya,
I got L930 and I was keen on trying the new W10 and build 10149 seemed the most stable after reviews I read so I thought to myself I should give it a go but boy I was wrong. Yes there were ALOT of good things like start screen, new animations, Edge browser(which btw is amazing), options and whooole lot of other things but the things that made me go back were lag. Lag, slow opening times, loading times, resuming, gaming was possible but in places where there were no lags for WP8.1 it was nearly impossible to play on W10. I know it's only technical prev. I'm here to tell people who want to update that they shouldn't. Maybe wait for other builds, wait for 2 more or maybe 3 more updates for W10 software. I did enjoy it but for daily driver you just shouldn't. Sure you can try but if your are ready for the pain to roll back to WP8.1 and losing all of your data that couldn't been backed up go ahead. Anyway I was happy to try it and will wait for ther builds.

fjordstrom

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for this! I on the other hand have a more positive experience with Windows 10 on my Lumia 930, but that was after I did a factory reset on Windows 10. No lag, works smoothly...

I only notice two things:
  1. The phone heats up sometimes (didn't figure out what exactly yet).
  2. Fhotoroom doesn't want to load my photos :(

Oh yeah, and I tried reverting to 8.1, but that didn't work :D :/

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ Fact is that most people don't want to try anything less than thoroughly tested beta-software.

The current insider releases are not anywhere close to that. Anyone who's used the earlier builds will be pleasantly surprised by 10149, but anyone who's never used anything but the developer preview (which was finished software), is likely to struggle to understand what they're getting themselves into. People have been warned a million times, by MS, by disclaimers in the insiders app, by the media and by people on this forum, but it doesn't seem to deter many. I think most have trouble imagining why anyone would want to get their hands on software that is this raw, have no idea what unfinished software looks like (the insider previews are actually relatively good from that viewpoint), and then get all fussy when it doesn't live up to THEIR expectations. It's almost comical.

I think it's great that you're pitching in to help inform everyone, but I doubt the message will get through. Most people just don't want to hear that message and need to make these mistakes themselves.

Last edited:

dda_k

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Well if you don't try it yourself you can't be 100% sure. Anyway, next time I'm installing W10 will be dev prev or finished product it was nice test but not ready for MY daily use.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar experience with lag and touch-based inaccuracies with some games. I also noticed a problem with the Beta store vs the old store. Some apps work better when downloaded via the old store (or not at all if downloaded via the Beta store).

All-in-all, 10149 is a HUGE step in the right direction but we're certainly a couple of builds (or more) from a polished/ready for consumption build. They're getting closer with each update. That's encouraging!

Like the OP, I rolled back to 8.1, for what it's worth.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
This is how your comment will be read by the masses:

The current insider releases are not anywhere close to that. Anyone who's used the earlier builds will be pleasantly surprised by 10149, but anyone who's never used anything but the developer preview (which was finished software), often have difficulty grasping what their getting themselves into. People have been warned a million times, by MS, by disclaimers in the insiders app, by the media and by people on this forum, but it doesn't seem to deter many. I think most have trouble imagining why anyone would want to get their hands on software that is this raw, have no idea what unfinished software looks like (the insider previews are actually relatively good from that viewpoint), and then get all fussy when it doesn't live up to THEIR expectations. It's almost comical

I think it's great that you're pitching in to help inform everyone, but I doubt the message will get through. Most people just don't want to hear that message and need to make these mistakes themselves.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I too read the positive reviews about the build and I'm always eager to try them.I installed it on my 640 on Friday and I tried it for about 30 mins before hitting the recovery tool.performance was really poor,apps wouldn't open,lag.All my notifications were flashing.The font on my apps was tiny,I hated the whole thing.It took me a good part of a day to get back to 8.1 with all my apps and data.

So I read a lot of posts and watched a few youtube videos.What these all suggested was a hard reset after installing via the insider app.This morning I took another dive and did this.The results were better initially.It was more stable,but miles off what people were claiming it was.Then I realized my glance screen was stuck on,there was no setting to turn it off.It had disappeared.a couple more annoying bugs also.quiet hours notification flashing.When I realized these issues were draining my battery quicker than I'd like I decided to roll back to 8.1.I will definitely wait for the preview build before trying it again,although things are certainly improving.For me,this build is no way good for daily driver,perhaps others have had better luck with their installations.

Just to mote.I am not complaining about the technical preview.I understand its unfinished software,I just don't get where people are coming from when they say this build is good enough for daily use

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I too read the positive reviews about the build and I'm always eager to try them. I installed it on my 640 on Friday and I tried it for about 30 mins before hitting the recovery tool.

Yup. I think that is pretty much standard procedure.

Most of us here are naturally curious, so if we hear/read somebody say "hey, this build is great compared to the last one, I can practically use this", we'll all tend to want to try it out too. I'd say that's a good thing, because that's how we learn, but that isn't everyone's goal so some end up feeling their time was wasted, despite having been warned a gazillion times.

That's why we'll continuously need warnings like the ones the OP and you have given, but it's also why I don't think those warnings will deter many people from trying software they probably shouldn't be trying. We have no way of objectively measuring "is this software ready for daily use". It's all subjective. As soon as somebody on the internets says "hey, it's good enough for me", even if they are just happy their phone is more useful than a brick, that's when curiosity gets the better of us.

That's the point I was trying to get across. We need these warnings, despite them unlikely changing anything, except for a few of us being able to say "I told you so".

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't get this. What data couldn't have been backed up before you installed w10?

Some games and apps don't support backup (the app developer must support that explicitly). VPN settings aren't backed up. Apps that are no longer in the store are lost. Photos and videos people didn't upload to OneDrive are lost. Last time I checked WiFi passwords weren't restored. People who have their phone setup to work with their company's calendars will likely require that to be reconfigured, etc...

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I would love an image backup to PC for our phones heck even backup and restore to SD all apps and settings would be heaven. I'm sticking with 8.1 for my 810 till the end of the year. 10 isn't ready for prime time imo just wait a few months down the road. Let the other end user report the bugs as MS stated you will be testing as the roll outs get updated.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Build 10149 is a lot more stable than the previous builds but that's not saying a whole lot. The UI and performance is still largely a joke but that's to be expected since it's unifinished. At this point it's like running a very buggy 3rd party launcher that's trying to emulate WP. Interesting to check out for a few minutes but not really useable.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I was tempted to try this one out,but I'll hold out for a later, more stable build. I had tried an earlier build a while ago and reverted to 8.1 after a few days.
As long as people are reporting lag, issues with games, issues with glance, I will hold off. Maybe I'll jump in on the next or so...

dda_k

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I used W10 for a day and I really do miss how fluent and great Edge browser is. It's really the best browser I have ever used on a phone. I will be waiting for Dev prev eagerly.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
basically same as OP, i am now back on 8.1 on my 1020 (boy is it slick, and stable, and just works!) but i did have several of the W10 TP's and was quite happy using them as my daily driver, sure a few things were buggy, but most of what i used worked ok

and was planning to continue the ride through to RTM with the incremental insider updates, but the last build, 10149, screwed my phone up majorly, no apps would open let alone update, even after leavig it 24 hours later, to see if it would settle

there is no doubt in my mind that the incremental method of installing different updates is what did it, as there were some funky issues i havent even mentioned, that got lost in the system so to speak and got bodged further, each time there was an update, 10149 was the straw that broke the camels back

if all had gone well, i would still be on win10, but as it happens, it got its knickers in a major twist and it had to be hard reset, i even hard reset, and then triied 10149 clean, still issue with apps and updating, hence the 8.1 flashback

its quite a culture clash initially, going back to 8.1, seems visually more simple, basic etc, but man its slick and just works

it was nice to try windows 10, and will install it when official, but am enjoying the stability and quickness right now

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
For me, WP10 seems fine, I am not a heavy user and only use a couple of apps and they all work just fine. The OS itself is a bit slower than 8.1 but nowhere near like all other WP10 builds.

The only issue for me is a huge battery drain, this might be a deal breaker for me if I dont figure out how to calm it down :)

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
^ Fact is that most people don't want to try anything less that thoroughly tested beta-software.

The current insider releases are not anywhere close to that. Anyone who's used the earlier builds will be pleasantly surprised by 10149, but anyone who's never used anything but the developer preview (which was finished software), often have difficulty grasping what their getting themselves into. People have been warned a million times, by MS, by disclaimers in the insiders app, by the media and by people on this forum, but it doesn't seem to deter many. I think most have trouble imagining why anyone would want to get their hands on software that is this raw, have no idea what unfinished software looks like (the insider previews are actually relatively good from that viewpoint), and then get all fussy when it doesn't live up to THEIR expectations. It's almost comical.

This is not entirely correct, I mean the latest article on WC is suggesting that the latest build could be a viable upgrade even for everyday usage. I think that was a pretty bad article, used as a click-bait and should have never been published. I found this thread useful since I'm a a 930 user and was thinking about installing W10 after I read the WC article.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
YMMV.

I installed it on 930 and did a hard reset. These are the apps I use daily and everything other than whatever has to do with Photos app, works like in WP8.1

6sec
6Tag
Converge
Excel
Word
OneNote
PowerPoint
Facebook
Spotify
myTube!
Nextgen Reader
Readit (in app ads won't go away, known issue)
Whatsapp
Xodo Docs

Notifications are glitchy for apps but tiles work fantastically. Exchange sync is broken with Outlook Mail app.

I don't see any issues that will make me want to go back to WP8.1 but things that are pleasing to use on W10 rather keep me on it. Beta software aren't for everyone though and people don't realize that. Remember, curiosity killed the cat.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
This is not entirely correct, I mean the latest article on WC is suggesting that the latest build could be a viable upgrade even for everyday usage. I think that was a pretty bad article, used as a click-bait and should have never been published. I found this thread useful since I'm a a 930 user and was thinking about installing W10 after I read the WC article.

Then people still have a choice wether to install the build, right? They just need to read very carefully what the article states. They suggested it could be a viable upgrade for everyday usage, but they never said it was. They even warned us at the start or the article with:

Having said all of that, yeah, I do think this release, for the most part, is fine to use. This advice assumes you are okay with occasional bugs, glitches, or parts not working fully.
For me, it is running very well on my Lumia 1520. However, I have not tried it on every device out there

So, I wouldn't call it a click-bait article. It's just Daniel sharing his thoughts on the build, and yes - he's hyping us a bit to try the build, but the problem like a5cent highlighted is that people tend to read "this build is fine for everyday use.", because thats what they wish it to be after builds like 10080 that were almost unusable.

This build is a disaster on my 830 but works good enough on my M8 to be used as a daily driver. In all fairness, it all boils down to people being impatient and expecting stuff to work once it gets released. I'm not sure how much more you can try to protect or inform people that don't even bother to read the warning signs and then get upset stuff doesn't work or forces them to roll back.

All in all, this build - while buggy - is a relief compared to say, build 10080. I can't wait for the next one to see how battery life will be for example. But thats my only real issue here. I can cope with some of the live tiles not refreshing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb