Xbox Music Pass..

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
On WP10TP Mobile, has anyone been able to find out how to download new music via XBox MP??

I know this can be done using Computer Or phone on 8/8.1 then in the WP10 phone show All Music, and then download.

Would love to know if someone's figured out already to so directly from the phone? Closest I got was seeing an 'Explorer' function in Settings -which when you hit it displays a message that it is not yet functional. Otherwise, app keeps taking me to Store - which tries to charge me for the music defeating the entire purpose.

Thank you

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I asked the same question last night (I have a ?9.99 a month Xbox music subscription and updated to Windows 10 Phone on Sunday).

The short answer is No...Xbox streaming music hasn't been activated in the new Windows 10 music app yet. Apparently it's coming in future updates and will work through the Explore button in the Music App.

For now, the only way to add songs or create playlists on your streaming service is to access Xbox Music through a windows 7 or 8.1 device. Any music or playlists you save/create on those devices will sync and be available on your Windows Phone 10 device. You can then download and make the songs and playlists offline in the music app.

It's a big time pain in the a$$ but Microsoft did warn us that preview builds won't be fully functional and will have bugs.

I was contemplating cancelling my xbox music subscription but I don't want to lose the thousands of songs I've downloaded.

Hope this helps :)

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks - for verifying I am not suffering a unique problem! At least there is a bona fide workaround for this. If there weren't, I would have rolled back. XBox Music is a dealbraker, being one out of several MUST HAVE features for me..

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks - for verifying I am not suffering a unique problem! At least there is a bona fide workaround for this. If there weren't, I would have rolled back. XBox Music is a dealbraker, being one out of several MUST HAVE features for me..

I agree. when I heard they were going to be killing off the Xbox music and Video apps all I could think was "here we go again, it's another Zune moment when the platform gets pulled and we just have to deal with it..."

Fortunately Microsoft seem to understand that streaming music is THE big thing right now. If they kill of Xbox music and walk away from streaming then Windows Phone is effectively dead.

From what I've read Microsoft are 100% committed to launching a built in, dedicated streaming service through the native music platform and are keen to ensure they get it right. The bottom line is it has to be at least as good as Spotify or it's going to get crushed by other streaming firms.

Fingers crossed it turns out to be awesome when they hit the "on" button in a few weeks time

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
For me the Music app loaded all of the data for Music in my collection and on OneDrive and allowed me to play any of it by streaming. And I could pick to download songs or set a playlist to offline and have it download the whole playlist. But, I haven't tried looking for new music to add to my collection.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
For me the Music app loaded all of the data for Music in my collection and on OneDrive and allowed me to play any of it by streaming. And I could pick to download songs or set a playlist to offline and have it download the whole playlist. But, I haven't tried looking for new music to add to my collection.

Hi Mike...yes, any music you've saved on onedrive and through the xbox music streaming service on other devices will all be there on the WP10 music app....what you won't be able to do is search and add new songs or albums using the current WP10 music app....they haven't hooked up the xbox music streaming service to the new windows 10 music app yet.....there's no word on when this is likely to happen.

For now, you can still use find and save songs and create new playlists on xbox music through your other windows 7 and 8 (8.1) devices like your laptop, Xbox or other 8.1 windows phone....and you'll be able to access all that content on your Windows 10 phone...you just won't be able to add to it for now

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I was contemplating cancelling my xbox music subscription but I don't want to lose the thousands of songs I've downloaded.

Hope this helps :)
If it is only temporary and you want to keep using W10 TP for now but want to come back to Xbox Music after final build, you can cancel sub for now. Songs will be there for lifetime. You just won't be able to play them till you pay for them. However, if you are thinking permanent, won't going back to WP8.1 be easier?

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
If it is only temporary and you want to keep using W10 TP for now but want to come back to Xbox Music after final build, you can cancel sub for now. Songs will be there for lifetime. You just won't be able to play them till you pay for them. However, if you are thinking permanent, won't going back to WP8.1 be easier?

I'm going to keep the subscription and wait it out for the streaming service to be switched on in the new music app...I'm optimistic that streaming is one of the things MS are keen to get right, especially given the recent Apple music launch, so it's worth supporting them until they feel it's the right time to launch it...

If all my downloaded streaming songs weren't working in W10 that would be a different story...I'd be cancelling there and then, but it's no real hardship to have to curate my collection on my SP3 as long as they continue to sync to W10 :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923