Critical Error on 10158

Yannie Boy

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I was getting that infrastructure shell critical error on 30, but after updating last night, I get a pop up that behaves similarly but now the popup states that "Cortana and the Start menu aren't working. We'll try to fix it on your next sign in." or something along those lines. I've dug around plenty of Microsoft forums when it was happening on 30 with no luck. Any advise/tips/help?

Last edited:

jacob103

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Well mine had an error with the Settings app. It started the app then pulled up the store. Then crashed, I went on the Technical Preview and let them know. They gave me some fixes and none worked so now i'm back on 8.1 trying to update AGAIN.

KritiMSFT

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

Sorry to hear that you've been getting this error. We did fix a few of these issues and are trying to nail down the others. It would be great if you can help us narrow it down by providing the below details:
•Which build are you currently on?
•Was this is an upgrade?
◦If so, which build/version of windows did you upgrade from?
•What accounts do you have on your device?
◦Are they local, MSA or domain?
◦Are they admins, standard accounts, or children accounts?
◦If you upgraded, which was the account that drove the upgrade?
•Did you connect an MSA in OOBE?
•Are you running safe mode or diagnostic start up?
•What is the specific critical error text you're seeing?
•When you see the error text, can you still launch win32 applications? (try WIN+R and entering "notepad")
•If you open task manager, do you see sihost.exe running?
•Does logging out and back in resolve the issue?
•Do you any remember any specific details leading up to the first time that you saw this?

Thanks for your help,
Kriti

Last edited:

Liviu Sas

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
We've fixed a few of these issues, but there are still some eluding us :(

In order to ensure whether this is a new issue, or something already known, we came up with a (somewhat large) list of questions that would help narrow it down:
Which build are you currently on? 10166
Was this is an upgrade? yes
If so, which build/version of windows did you upgrade from? win7 -> 10130 -> 10162 -> 10166
What accounts do you have on your device?
Are they local, MSA or domain? upgraded from win7 to 10130, switched the main account to MSA, and then only MSA
Are they admins, standard accounts, or children accounts? Admin
If you upgraded, which was the account that drove the upgrade? MSA Admin
Did you connect an MSA in OOBE? what's an oobe?
Are you running safe mode or diagnostic start up? nope
What is the specific critical error text you're seeing? Start menu Cortana aren't working, please sign out. Also "No mapping between account names and security ID was done" when trying to launch explorer.exe, control
When you see the error text, can you still launch win32 applications? (try WIN+R and entering "notepad") nope. But I have access to the desktop so I can run programs from there
If you open task manager, do you see sihost.exe running? nope. But I can run it manually
Does logging out and back in resolve the issue? nope
Do you any remember any specific details leading up to the first time that you saw this? upgraded from 10130.

Thanks for your help,
Jen

PS Reports added through the feedback tool are always good too :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon